US Embassy Refuses to Pay £14.6m London Congestion Charge Bill

28 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Correct.

He’s a first generation working class immigrant of Pakistani heritage.

He and his parents shining examples of working hard, integrating and contributing to the UK.

His parents must be very proud of their and their son’s accomplishments.

Sure, knife crime keeps increasing on his watch. They must be chuffed as nuts!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mfd101 said:

If that's the US Embassy in the top photo, it should have to pay a huge fine for ugliness. Completely unsuited to its built environment.

"Fortress London: The New US Embassy and the Rise of Counter-Terror Urbanism"

https://www.harvarddesignmagazine.org/articles/fortress-london-the-new-us-embassy-and-the-rise-of-counter-terror-urbanism/

• US Congress ruled that all embassies must be set back from the street behind a 100-foot “seclusion zone,” and be built within a self-contained site of at least four and a half acres

Hardly a pristine area that could use redevelopment, largely using funds from sale of previous US embassy property whose area was being developed into multi-million dollar housing. Already the area is building luxury apartments along this stretch of the river, in what is becoming a place of $45 million penthouses equipped with personal panic rooms.

• With the sale of Saarinen’s building to the property development arm of the Qatari royal family (which has hired David Chipperfield Architects to convert it into a luxury hotel), funds were used to acquire a former rail-yard site south of the river, close to Battersea Power Station.

NewUSEmbassyUK.jpg

Edited by Srikcir
Msp

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Doesn't look like it. Typical modern London building- very very ugly and destroys the historical environment. The rot set in with the gerkin and progressed to the shard excrescence. Seems that it has become a competition to build the ugliest possible object, with the connivance of the horrid London council that is trying to make London a place to avoid with such as closing all the public toilets.

I just checked with google images and it apparently is the US embassy. Must have cost a few bob to buy the land, and there is a lot of it.

I wasn't aware that the old embassy had been sold.

IMO the building fits right in with the move to make London one of the ugliest cities on the planet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roquefort said:

Someone born in London. Now in a minority in their own city.

Being a second generation immigrant born in London does not make you indigenous.

image.png.eff617044e0ab13d8cc2d2fc6bfc4e18.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

However, by and large, embassies use their vehicle to do their job, which is the reason they exist in foreign lands.

They don't use their cars to get to work then?  I suppose they all cycle in?

9 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Those pesky  colonists, never have liked paying their taxes to the crown.

The Home Office should get creative and tow their vehicles. If they don't want to pay, then why don't they use the Underground. But of course they wouldn't want to pay the "tax", must ride for free. Those arrogant colonials!  

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Those pesky  colonists, never have liked paying their taxes to the crown.

The Home Office should get creative and tow their vehicles. If they don't want to pay, then why don't they use the Underground. But of course they wouldn't want to pay the "tax", must ride for free. Those arrogant colonial scofflaws!! 

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

More embarrassment for Khan and his authoritarian, nasty policies aimed at restricting movement of the people. 

Everyone should refuse to pay this ridiculous charge, not only the embassies. 

Meanwhile Khan takes a convoy of V8 Jaguars to walk his dogs. Typical virtue signalling, hypocritical lefist.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9915019/Sadiq-Khan-spotted-using-cavalcade-cars-drive-4-5-miles-walk-dog.html

image.png.86889241b4a21b8bf4765a3eaae8d88d.png

Glad they haven't paid it. It would of only been spent on more mosques and houses for his Muslim mates.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Being a second generation immigrant born in London does not make you indigenous.

I would tend to agree with you, but if you go back far enough we are all immigrants.

It is nevertheless a fact that more than 50% of people who live in London today were born outside the UK. As a Londoner born and bred I hardly recognise my own city.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, stoner said:

the population of london is reflective of khan being voted in again. simply facts and what it is. nothing other than that.  

Do you project another brexit vote once the politicians who helped flood 

England with Migrants feel comfortable in numbers?

I’d be interested in your opinion.

15 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The People of a London don’t seem to agree with your constant pejorative views (I wonder what’s behind that) of the Mayor they elected for the third time with an increased majority.

Most of The People of a London didn't turnout. Most of Khan's voters don't use private cars. Evveryone else is just hacked-off with it all now. 

7 hours ago, placnx said:

The Home Office should get creative and tow their vehicles. If they don't want to pay, then why don't they use the Underground. But of course they wouldn't want to pay the "tax", must ride for free. Those arrogant colonial scofflaws!! 

Then the Home Office should assert control so that morons like Khan are not empowered to charge people like this.n

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lavender19 said:

Glad they haven't paid it. It would of only been spent on more mosques and houses for his Muslim mates.

The racism level on this thread is high.

A successful immigrant Muslim just doesn't sit well with so many of the culturally challenged.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, nauseus said:

Most of The People of a London didn't turnout. Most of Khan's voters don't use private cars. Evveryone else is just hacked-off with it all now. 

So what’s your argument, those who didn’t turn out and/or don’t drive cars magically become ‘Everyone’?

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

The racism level on this thread is high.

A successful immigrant Muslim just doesn't sit well with so many of the culturally challenged.

If talking about Khan, I disagree that a man that has accepted no public toilets in a tourist city is "successful". Just another timewaster that thinks they are important IMO.

BTW I don't care if a Martian runs London as long as they reopen some of the closed public toilets. It's a disgrace.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Where in London isn't served by a bus?

London has an excellent bus service. Tube is hit and miss depending on where you live, but the buses are excellent.

And in my recent visits back I have clearly noticed that the traffic is almost non existent. I have family in London and they wouldn't consider having a car as the public transport is so good. The only real reason for needing one is for food shopping but now most people do that online and never visit a supermarket.

I've owned cars all my life but if I lived in London I wouldn't consider it, there is just no need for 90% of people.

I lived in London for 10 years and never needed a vehicle of my own.

41 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Who was arrested for being Jewish in London, and when did this happen?

My mistake, it was merely a threat to be arrested if they didn't comply with restriction of movement being applied as a result of being openly Jewish.

Which is totally fine 😃.

• Haha 1

Not sure why the article sparked what appears to be racism but the law was passed and it seems one country broke the law more than others. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So what’s your argument, those who didn’t turn out and/or don’t drive cars magically become ‘Everyone’?

I'm not arguing.