Rishi Sunak Calls Early UK General Election for 4 July

The Labour Party under Blair was more centrist than it once was, and Starmer is more like "Conservative Mild" rather than left of the left wing of Corbyn. No one in Britain seems to expect much from Labour - they just look more attractive that the Tories.

• Agree 2

He is holding the election in July, as they say best to move house in the summer than in the late autumn/winter, like Sunak will have too.

Who will win, must be Labour, can they sort things out, their way is to spend money top of the list (again) will be the black hole known as the NHS.

What will they do with the economy, it has got better over the past year still a long way to go exports to the European mainland still not good, and now all the red tape, that needs to be sorted out.

My guess as I said Labour will just spend, in 5 years times country has run out of money they will have to put taxes up, after bringing down as in they to be pre-election pledge, and the Tories will get in again .

Of cause the black horse will be the Reform party, they have had 10%n of the by-election vote some say that will rise in July....at who's cost.

Election, 4th July American Independency Day...............

Bit of conspiracy theory. Is Sunak banking on Vlad kicking off into Europe, so in light of this weeks Government recommendation of everyone become Preppers there won't be an election, so nothing to loose.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Maybe you should inform yourself a little better next time. Because it wasn’t Labour that ‘crashed it’ by 2009. The end of 2008 marked the beginning of a worldwide economic recession, caused by Bush and his neocon idiots

Is that the same idiot Bush (and his neocon idiots) that Labour leader Tony Blair teamed up with for his illegal war in the middle east based on lies about WMD?

You know, the illegal war that led to thousands of innocent lives being lost and the destabiiisation of the region?

Or are you talking about a different Bush?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Shame about Blair's illegal war/war crimes and destabilizing the middle east based on WMD lies. 

As for the economy, Labour had pretty much crashed it by 2009 before leaving the Tories to fix it in 2010. Same as they always do. 

Same as they will again. They take over in a decent position, crash it and then get voted out. 

https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/GBR/united-kingdom/gdp-gross-domestic-product#:~:text=U.K. gdp for 2022 was,a 0.69% decline from 2018.

image.png.a0594dd61f5dc5dd02d1e1cc99229f4f.png

They didn't crash the economy. There was steady positive GDP under Labour from 1997 to 2077. Your graph shows that. The negative GDP for 2008 and 2009 was from the 2007-2008 sub prime Financial Crisis which affected most financial centres around the world. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007–2008_financial_crisis

https://wits.worldbank.org/countryprofile/en/country/DEU/startyear/2006/endyear/2010/indicator/NY-GDP-PCAP-CD

Capture.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Good timing. 

Out of office in time to escape for the summer holidays with his family secure in the knowledge he has a nice life time former PM pension.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No I don’t ever drink in the daytime,

You talk this nonsense sober? 😄

15 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

nor do I reserve venomous comments almost entirely for women.

Great point, you'll never see me criticizing Biden, Blair, Harry, Sadiq Khan etc. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RayWright said:

Bit of conspiracy theory. Is Sunak banking on Vlad kicking off into Europe, so in light of this weeks Government recommendation of everyone become Preppers there won't be an election, so nothing to loose.

Even during WW1 they had a general election in the UK.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, RayWright said:

If Vlad Putin kicks off into Europe there will likely never be another election in Britain, ever ( same in most of the northern hemisphere ).

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The Ukrainian elections have been called off as it is apparently  "illegal" to hold them during wartime

Zelenski's  five year term has expired  and 

Blinken is there singing "rocking in the free world"  !!!!!

Edited by johng
spelling again
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

PM Sunsk is reportedly taking a ‘duvet day’ as the rats flee the Tory sinking ship.

Who’s dumb idea was it I wonder to book Sunak an appearance at Belfast’s ‘Titanic Quarter’?

He’s already a walking meme generator, he needs no such suggestions to make matters worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/may/24/sunak-to-take-a-day-at-home-after-hapless-election-campaign-start

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

PM Sunsk is reportedly taking a ‘duvet day’ as the rats flee the Tory sinking ship.

Who’s dumb idea was it I wonder to book Sunak an appearance at Belfast’s ‘Titanic Quarter’?

He’s already a walking meme generator, he needs no such suggestions to make matters worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/may/24/sunak-to-take-a-day-at-home-after-hapless-election-campaign-start

The Guardian.............😂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Nobody is going to vote for your SNP, it seems..........🤫

I would be happy to offer you a bet that the SNP outperform the nasty party in Scotland once again - just don't pull a Sunak and welch on it...

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

A bit surprising that there has been no specific mention in this thread thusfar of the musical "accompaniment" to ol' Rishi's rain-sodden announcement, as explained in the following Sky News item:

https://news.sky.com/story/general-election-why-was-things-can-only-get-better-playing-during-rishi-sunaks-statement-13141643

and is this track:

Edited by OJAS
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I sift through what columnists writes in many sources, your "The Guardian" is manned by anti lefty blokes, which is right up your street, and laughable.......🤣

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m sure there’s an explanation for such a very odd response when responding to a linked Daily Express article.

Not your Daily Express, The Guardian, they cannot be anti on everything, as you conveniently scrambled to pointed out........🤣