New Mobile Banking Rules Aim to Curb 'Horse' Accounts

webfact

Is this whole thing just for the first time you install the app on your phone and they send you an SMS to validate or is it for every time you login? What if you’re using wifi? Or you’re traveling? Or have a foreign SIM in your phone and use that for data? There are so many possible combinations and a lot could go wrong and surely they don’t want 1 million customers calling and visiting brand locations. It would be a time sucking disaster for the banks in addition to all the users. My guess is it would only be for the initial setup and installation, which already can only be done with some banks from a Thai IP address. I bought my last new phone in HK and couldn’t install the SCB app again until I got back to Thailand. 

• Like 1

i am cofused

is it the mobile banking that will be disabled on the phone or wt f are they trying to accomplish 

although I do have a banking app on my phone - if I thought it was going cause me an issue i would delete it

my sim registered my name - bank account my name, connection none, should there be a connection - no

i get what they are trying to do but this is not the way to do it

how about verifying every suspect bank account

my phone has nothing to do with my bank.....................it hasn't 

• Agree 1

Also felt it was a bit crazy, early 2021 was in BKK and my mobile died, got a new battery waited while it was fully charged, 5 mins later was again dead..

Went into AIS, picked out a new phone, went to pay  cannot name is different, can only change to a new phone with the registered sim owner....

My Partner is the owner since early 2000 so over 20 years at that time

Went to a stall outside in the Mall bought the same mobile as in AIS shop, everything transferred simple.....  Could not help it went back into AIS and told them they lost out on there silly rule.....

I am not going to change the sim into my name as no need and is tied into the Internet/mobile deal..  If Apps will no longer work so be it

• Confused 2

19 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

Oh gawd.  Another thing to worry about but should not 'in theory' affect me as don't use mobile banking apps but I do use online internet banking via my PC & Laptop and the mobile is just used to receive OTP passwords which I 'assume' are unaffected?   Would be grateful if someone can advise me if they are they are impacted in this respect.  Cheers.

Which bank are you with?
Most Thai banks phased out internet banking via the browser in preference of mobile banking via the apps because the need for biometric for some time now 

If they still have internet banking on the computer, that shouldn't be affected 

• Like 1

I can't access Krungsri app anymore via VPN. It tells me to turn off my VPN. Anyone else having the same issues trying to access their Thai bank account under a VPN connection???

There is no way in hell i will use the internet without a VPN on!!! 

It was bad enough last year that they didn't allow us to run an Anti-Virus program to protect our phones from Malware anymore!! My phone was infected with Malware late last year because I forgot to turn it back on after using Krungsri App. I lost all my photos and everything! Same with my Thai girlfriend's phone!!

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

So when we go back to our home country and put in our home country SIM in, we can't use our Thai app anymore?

My Thai girlfriend comes with me back to my home country so is she unable to send money to her family when I send her money to her Thai bank account??

If we go to Malaysia or Vietnam and use a sim card in these countries, we won't be able to access our Thai bank accounts anymore???

Edited by organicman

5 hours ago, smedly said:

i am cofused

is it the mobile banking that will be disabled on the phone or wt f are they trying to accomplish 

although I do have a banking app on my phone - if I thought it was going cause me an issue i would delete it

my sim registered my name - bank account my name, connection none, should there be a connection - no

i get what they are trying to do but this is not the way to do it

how about verifying every suspect bank account

my phone has nothing to do with my bank.....................it hasn't 

Do you have a mobile number linked to your bank account? use QR promptpay?

On 5/27/2024 at 12:29 PM, webfact said:

If mismatches are detected, a notification will be sent through mobile banking apps, advising users to rectify the information. If not corrected within the given timeframe, the bank account remains usable, but mobile banking services will be inaccessible.

I was going to go to the Centre today to get my name linked up to my account, but then thought about it for a minute and said, you know what, it isn't illegal to not have your name linked up to your mobile number as far as I recall, so why provide governments with more information to hang yourself.

I will sit on the fence until I receive the notification and then comply, no doubt that is going to take a while.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, dpcjsr said:

Whenever you see the words banking regulations and money laundering you know this is actually about government snooping. Tracking of everything that everyone is doing all of the time. 

Good to see that Thailand is getting in line with the New World Order...(sarcasm)

My sentiments exactly, believe nothing they tell you and do nothing to make their attempts to be easier, if they want it, let them come for it.

As I mentioned in the above post, I will wait for the notice before I comply, but not before I get to read some kind of regulation where it stipulates that I must comply.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I havent a clue if my name is registered against my long standing Sim or not...pretty sure Sim was obtained long before it was a requirement to do so

Would be a pain in the arse if online services were cancelled until arrival in Thailand to update them to say the least

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I was going to go to the Centre today to get my name linked up to my account, but then thought about it for a minute and said, you know what, it isn't illegal to not have your name linked up to your mobile number as far as I recall, so why provide governments with more information to hang yourself.

I will sit on the fence until I receive the notification and then comply, no doubt that is going to take a while.

It's not about linking, the mobile phone companies already has your name, the forced mandatory ID of sim card activation years back during car bomb panic

try opening a new number and see how far you get without ID

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

They're coming for you! Seriously, why the big story about letting them come for it, so overblown and ridiculous - you are not that important.

Making sure that if you use a bank app that the SIM that receives the OTP is actually yours. It's quite obviously an anti money laundering thing and reasonably sensible and pretty trivial (apart from the paranoid bunch on here).

But yeah, they are coming, fill up your cupboards with tinned food, make sure your weapons are loaded.

Believe me @josephbloggs those type of people are worlwide on every single subject imaginable

Twitter is literally unusable any more for my work because timelines are filled with these utter whackjobs 24/7

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

From Thai Examiner.

“The deadline to register unregistered SIM cards and ensure that the name on each matches the one on your mobile banking account to avoid service interruption is July 13, said Minister of Digital Economy and Society, Prasert Chantararuangthong.

However, he also said related state agencies will take until October to verify all 106 million accounts.

The new regulation, aimed at preventing ghost SIM cards and mule accounts, mandates that the owner of a bank account with mobile banking must be the same person registered as the user of the SIM card.

Prasert also noted that family members, guardians, and companies purchasing multiple SIM cards for their employees will be exempted.”

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

From Thai Examiner.

“The deadline to register unregistered SIM cards and ensure that the name on each matches the one on your mobile banking account to avoid service interruption is July 13, said Minister of Digital Economy and Society, Prasert Chantararuangthong.

However, he also said related state agencies will take until October to verify all 106 million accounts.

The new regulation, aimed at preventing ghost SIM cards and mule accounts, mandates that the owner of a bank account with mobile banking must be the same person registered as the user of the SIM card.

Prasert also noted that family members, guardians, and companies purchasing multiple SIM cards for their employees will be exempted.”

All very reasonable and sensible.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

My ap has a problem paying and has error code AB09

I verified that the sim and my bank both have my full name. The BBK customer service asked if I have overseas deposits which i do. Said I need to visit local branch to help.

Edited by earlinclaifornia

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, jasonsamui55 said:

Is this whole thing just for the first time you install the app on your phone and they send you an SMS to validate or is it for every time you login? 

No it's not either of those, as far as I understand.

When you open a bank account you give them your mobile phone number. This mobile phone number must be registered to the same person who's name is on the bank account.

That, and only that. After which you can travel wherever you want and use any wifi you like.

Edited by JayClay

4 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

They're coming for you! Seriously, why the big story about letting them come for it, so overblown and ridiculous - you are not that important.

Making sure that if you use a bank app that the SIM that receives the OTP is actually yours. It's quite obviously an anti money laundering thing and reasonably sensible and pretty trivial (apart from the paranoid bunch on here).

But yeah, they are coming, fill up your cupboards with tinned food, make sure your weapons are loaded.

Your not much of a thinker are you, you accept everything they tell you, don't you, well that's your choice chump, but don't tell me that I am paranoid because you don't think outside the square.

Money laundering is the biggest BS there is, they want to know everything about everyone so that they can keep tabs and controls on us, their slaves, oh yes, I am a fruit loop.

Just ask the Chinese who at a protest, had their accounts frozen when their CCTV's profiled them with facial recognition, and then you have that Canadian nutter who illegally froze the truckers accounts for protesting.

It's all about control, I have a SIM without a number, big F deal, I have an App which was forced upon me by the bank because they are no longer doing online banking, because it's not secure, yes watch out for the boogey man, hmm, I wonder why I can still do online banking with my home country, they don't shove bank apps down your throat and you don't need to give them your mobile number if you do have one.

The amount of BS that is coming out of governments these days is hilarious, but what's even more hilarious is the amount of people who comply because they believe everything they are told, trust us, we care about you, but we want your biometrics, bank account details, mobile phone number etc etc

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, digbeth said:

It's not about linking, the mobile phone companies already has your name, the forced mandatory ID of sim card activation years back during car bomb panic

try opening a new number and see how far you get without ID

I have had the same SIM since 2015, no issues, no name.

14 hours ago, smedly said:

My bank still offers regular internet banking. 

And cash is still legal in Thailand. 

Mobile banking just has too many problems,  too often.

Not long ago, they restricted your banking apps so you could only have it on one device. 

Oh, and the whole face recognition, sometimes not working for farang.

In the beginning of the year,  they told us we cannot have too many SIM.

Recently, Central told me my SIM belongs to a Thai girl...

Now I had to call my bank to make sure they have my correct number.

A lot of trouble. 

The idea is obvious,  1 person = 1 ID number = 1 SIM = 1 phone number

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Your not much of a thinker are you, you accept everything they tell you, don't you, well that's your choice chump, but don't tell me that I am paranoid because you don't think outside the square.

Money laundering is the biggest BS there is, they want to know everything about everyone so that they can keep tabs and controls on us, their slaves, oh yes, I am a fruit loop.

Just ask the Chinese who at a protest, had their accounts frozen when their CCTV's profiled them with facial recognition, and then you have that Canadian nutter who illegally froze the truckers accounts for protesting.

It's all about control, I have a SIM without a number, big F deal, I have an App which was forced upon me by the bank because they are no longer doing online banking, because it's not secure, yes watch out for the boogey man, hmm, I wonder why I can still do online banking with my home country, they don't shove bank apps down your throat and you don't need to give them your mobile number if you do have one.

The amount of BS that is coming out of governments these days is hilarious, but what's even more hilarious is the amount of people who comply because they believe everything they are told, trust us, we care about you, but we want your biometrics, bank account details, mobile phone number etc etc

Okey dokey.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have had the same SIM since 2015, no issues, no name.

For prepaid sim card, the more stringent rules on requiring photos of the person as well as copy of ID starts July 2015

so if you bought your sim before that, chances are the sim is registered with the shop's owner or workers or random person ID, which should have been deactivated by now, or chances are that the 7-11 workers or whoever that sold you the sim card didn't bother dealing with you and and registered it to their ID/photo 

so yeah, they already has your ID, or worse your phone number is registered to a random Thai 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2024 at 1:45 PM, Georgealbert said:

Seems there is an u-turn already.

“Anyone using a name on a number that doesn't match their account today doesn't have to worry. NBTC (National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission) explains that the new rules have not been implemented yet. Also request more time to coordinate with AMLO (Anti-Money Laundering Office), and network service providers and revealed there will be exceptions.

From the news that on 27 May various banks will start using new rules. that the assigned phone number used to connect to the bank account, must be the name of the person who activated the service or registered as the owner of the SIM card.

Last night, the NBTC issued an announcement explaining the matter, stating that “Office of the Broadcasting Commission Television business and the National Telecommunications Commission (NBTC Office) would like to clarify that the news about screening mobile banking numbers (SIM cards) linked to bank accounts, is currently only a process in progress.”

Translated from link.

https://workpointnews.com/around/news/N88UOKP

- midnight phone call - 

some of those "mules" definitely don't work for mule using types.