Alina Habba Raises Concerns About Jury Influence in Trump Hush-Money Trial

image.png

Alina Habba, attorney for former President Donald Trump, expressed her unease over the jury in Trump's hush-money trial not being sequestered during the Memorial Day weekend. Habba suggested that the jurors might have been subjected to outside influences that could impact their impartiality as they prepare for the trial's closing arguments this week. “They should have been sequestered, because, in my opinion, these jurors are handling something that is completely unprecedented and unwarranted in America,” Habba asserted.

She voiced her concerns about the jurors' exposure to media and discussions during the holiday, which could potentially affect their judgment. Habba emphasized that if jurors were exposed to news sources like MSNBC or CNN, referred to disparagingly by Trump as "MSDNC," they might not receive unbiased information. "If they’re left-wing and they’re watching MSDNC, as my client calls it, [MSNBC] or CNN, they’re not going to get fair news," she stated.

The case in question involves 12 New York jurors who will soon deliberate on whether to convict Trump on 34 criminal counts related to falsifying business records. These charges are linked to reimbursements made to Trump's former attorney Michael Cohen, who paid $130,000 to adult film actress Stormy Daniels in October 2016 to silence her about an alleged affair with Trump. Trump has pleaded not guilty to these charges and has consistently denied having an affair with Daniels.

Last Tuesday, Trump's defense team rested their case without calling the former president to testify. The jurors were then dismissed until the upcoming Tuesday, when closing statements are set to begin. Following these statements, jury deliberations will commence. Judge Juan Merchan indicated that the delay in closing arguments until Tuesday was due to some unspecified “issues,” though he did not elaborate on what these might be.

Habba elaborated on her concerns, noting that the holiday weekend allowed jurors to interact with friends and family who might hold strong opinions about Trump.

She feared that such interactions could lead to biased decisions. “I have serious concerns. If they’re left-wing and they’re watching MSDNC, as my client calls it, [MSNBC] or CNN, they’re not going to get fair news,” Habba reiterated. She also mentioned the risk of jurors discussing the case at social gatherings, which might reinforce negative perceptions about Trump.

Highlighting the potential consequences of these interactions, Habba remarked, “I have worries about them going back to whatever friends might have Trump derangement syndrome, forgetting all sense of reality, and coming back and sitting in that box and saying, you know what, I have got to take one for the [Democratic National Committee].” She stressed the importance of jurors making their decisions based solely on the law and facts presented during the trial. “I want law to [be] fact, because, if we can get that, we will win, we will not just get a hung jury, we will get an acquittal. So, let’s see,” she concluded.

The hush-money trial has attracted significant public and media attention due to the high-profile nature of the case and the involvement of a former president. Trump's legal team has consistently argued that the charges are politically motivated and lack merit. The case's outcome could have substantial implications for Trump's political future and the broader legal landscape concerning former presidents.

As the trial progresses, the jurors' ability to remain impartial and unaffected by external influences will be crucial in determining the final verdict. Habba's concerns underscore the challenges faced in high-profile cases where media coverage and public opinion can potentially sway the judicial process. Whether the jury can deliver a fair and unbiased verdict remains to be seen as the trial nears its conclusion with the upcoming closing arguments and subsequent deliberations.

Credit: The Hill 2024-05-28

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

"

She voiced her concerns about the jurors' exposure to media and discussions during the holiday, which could potentially affect their judgment. Habba emphasized that if jurors were exposed to news sources like MSNBC or CNN, referred to disparagingly by Trump as "MSDNC," they might not receive unbiased information. "If they’re left-wing and they’re watching MSDNC, as my client calls it, [MSNBC] or CNN, they’re not going to get fair news," she stated."

And if they are watching Fox or reading the Washington Examiner, might they be getting fair news?  Are there news media in USA that are accepted as unbiased?

• Like 1

Is it right that, if Trump is found guilty, the appeal process could go on for years ?

Short answer is yes.  Can take a few months, but average is more than a year and is often more than 2.  In Trump's case, I wouldn't be surprised if it took much longer than 2 years and headed to the US Supreme Court.  Of course, he could be found not guilty, in which case the prosecutor cannot appeal (double-jeopardy).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, rudi49jr said:

Alina Hanna is not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. Wasn’t she the one who forgot to check the ‘jury trial’ box in the Trump fraud case? And then for months Trump whined that he was denied a jury trial? And his MAGA base ate that up and was outraged?

As several Trump loving members on this forum have already demonstrated, MAGA cult members won’t accept any guilty verdict anyway, so to them it doesn’t matter in the slightest if the jury was or wasn’t sequestered: if Trump is found guilty, they will reject that verdict. Period. Full stop. 

Amazing the Cult operates on ASEANNOW 

• Agree 1