I was bored out of my mind in Pattaya

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, heybuz said:

You either like it or you don't ,it took you seven weeks to find out you could have tried another place, it took me 3 years to find out I'm not that in love with thailand for permanent but still enjoy holidays there. I didn't like pattaya either.

Interesting. 3 years?

You lived there for 3 years?

What happened,you lost interest or got bored ???

Has anyone else done that ?

Retired and went to live in Thailand but decided to go back to your country and just come on a holiday basis???

..but once upon a time years ago I dreamt of retiring here !

What happened as I come towards retirement?

Its not for me I guess ?

I don't want to wake up every morning with nothing to do 

I would rather go to work 

Maybe if I had a business or something 

Anyway I'm leaving today and back to work Sunday night shift 😁 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Don't stay 7 weeks in the same place if you don't like it. Loads of other parts of Thailand to visit.

Not when you are older. It's hard to travel around in the heat with a 20kg bag.

People still do it though. One guy just recently had a heart attack and was moving around like that full time. Steady Eddie on youtube.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

You know how depressed I would be  sitting in a dark 21sqm room in the view talay?

More than you are now? Maybe you could find something to do. 🙂 

29 minutes ago, BigStar said:

More than you are now? Maybe you could find something to do. 🙂 

Maybe that's what that guy was doing who was sitting on his bed staring with the door open?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, mran66 said:

Just out of curiosity, do you find doing the things you listed in Australia less boring? If you live differently there, why not try duplicate the things you do there where applicable. Or is there some mental limitations so that in Pattaya/Thailand can only spend time doing the (boring) things you listed? 

I have thought about that a bit. There is some mental limitation for me when I try to simply duplicate my life here as back in the Usa. For some reason it never feels the same and I feel like I need to do things the Thai way when I'm here. Theoretically, it should be the same in both locations since physically it's just a change in landscape. I sometimes make a conscious effort to do so but it does not last long.

Edited by JimTripper

12 minutes ago, mran66 said:

Just out of curiosity, do you find doing the things you listed in Australia less boring? If you live differently there, why not try duplicate the things you do there where applicable. Or is there some mental limitations so that in Pattaya/Thailand can only spend time doing the (boring) things you listed? 

Gym , work , 

Just now, susanlea said:

The only activity he listed was going to the gym. You need more than 1 hobby if you are going to stay in one area. 

i agree, i found cycling in groups and golf works well, just one of those isn't enough, i tried it

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I have thought about that a bit. There is some mental limitation for me when I try to simply duplicate my life here as back in the Usa. For some reason it never feels the same and I feel like I need to do things the Thai way when I'm here. Theoretically, it should be the same in both locations since physically it's just a change in landscape.

... But I understand you are not bored because of that lifestyle difference, justiI like me I live very differently here vs home country. However I am all but bored. I am not from US but lived in San Diego before for few years and while there my lifestyle was different from home as well, simply due to environment. But all but bored

But I understood OP feels bored to death with his Pattaya lifestyle so wondering where the limitations come that lead to his boring life instead of doing something that is not boring, e.g doing same things as back home if those are not boring. Or possibly sometä things different. At least I would stop doing things which bore me and do something I enjoy. 

Edited by mran66

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Gym , work , 

People with partners and kids are always busy. Then they might smoke and drink too. If you don't have those things in your life you need to fill up your time with several activities. Maybe look at other sports or find a partner.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, mran66 said:

... But I understand you are not bored because of that lifestyle difference, justiI like me I live very differently here vs home country. However I am all but bored. I am not from US but lived in San Diego before for few years and while there my lifestyle was different from home as well, simply due to environment. But all but bored

But I understood OP feels bored to death with his Pattaya lifestyle so wondering where the limitations come that lead to his boring life instead of doing something that is not boring, e.g doing same things as back home if those are not boring. Or possibly sometä things different. At least I would stop doing things which bore me and do something I enjoy. 

I'm more unsatisfied, then bored. I think a lot of the problem in both cases boils down to social relationships.

For example, I could bike or swim in both places, but if I don't connect well with those around me, even if it's a solo activity, the activity can become slightly unsatisfying in a way. Maybe the activity the Op likes becomes boring in Thailand because nobody else is interested in it here, or it just feels off and strange. like being around overweight guys drinking all the time then feeling unmotivated working out later in an empty gym. Whereas, if he was on Venice Beach he would be pumped to work out.

• Love It 1

I found a gym in Hua Hin charging 890 baht per month. It had everything and wasn't busy. Looking at Bangkok gyms they seem to charge a fair bit more and Pattaya gyms look expensive online.

4 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I'm more unsatisfied, then bored. I think a lot of the problem in both cases boils down to social relationships.

For example, I could bike or swim in both places, but if I don't connect well with those around me, even if it's a solo activity, the activity can become slightly unsatisfying in a way. Maybe the activity the Op likes becomes boring in Thailand because nobody else is interested in it here, or it just feels off and strange. like being around overweight guys drinking all the time then feeling unmotivated working out later in an empty gym. Whereas, if he was on Venice Beach he would be pumped to work out.

Yes I think that way of thinking 

I should of gone more where younger generation is 

I love the gym 

As for partner ,yes obviously makes a difference if you have a partner in Pattaya,I don't 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes I think that way of thinking 

I should of gone more where younger generation is 

I love the gym 

As for partner ,yes obviously makes a difference if you have a partner in Pattaya,I don't 

You probably should have stayed in Chiang Mai, Phuket or Bangkok. When you are around a lot of old retired people, it makes you old. I can feel it when I change locations and it's a primary reason why I'm moving out of Pattaya next month. I feel much older after living in Pattaya for a year.

When I goto Bangkok I feel young and full of life again. I felt the drain when I was in Jomtien right away, but it's really all of Pattaya. Something about the place sucks my energy away. Could be needy people, broke people, etc. I call it "psychic vampirism".

Edited by JimTripper
  • Love It 1

On 5/29/2024 at 4:04 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Exactly I have moved buildings to Arcadia resort where I see the same drunken farangs buying cheap Leo to drown their sorrows 

Please is retirement not for me or is Pattaya?

I do like Manila riding the subway could see myself living there so I could walk up & down the subway 

Why do other people's lives interest you?

On 5/29/2024 at 3:53 PM, georgegeorgia said:

I look forward to going back to a routine 

These old drunken old expats  don't have routines 

I watch one old guy every morning sit at that mini mart opposite Arcadia resort with the other drinks he then waddles up to his room in a stupor 

Please I don't want to end up with NO routine 

Waking up to do the same drinking all day 

I honestly believe these guys were NOT alcoholicd before they lived in Pattaya 

They are bored with their life's ,no routine,nothing to do etc 

Getting drunk every day is also a routine,ask Bob.

17 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

Why do other people's lives interest you?

He has to live around them and see them, so what other people do matters. We are not 100% independent of our environment.

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

You probably should have stayed in Chiang Mai, Phuket or Bangkok. When you are around a lot of old retired people, it makes you old. I can feel it when I change locations and it's a primary reason why I'm moving out of Pattaya next month. I feel much older after living in Pattaya for a year.

When I goto Bangkok I feel young and full of life again. I felt the drain when I was in Jomtien right away, but it's really all of Pattaya. Something about the place sucks my energy away. Could be needy people, broke people, etc. I call it "psychic vampirism".

Yes !!!!!!!

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

He has to live around them and see them, so what other people do matters. We are not 100% independent of our environment.

True, but then you avoid them, ignore them, don't engage with them.  But George says he watches them and clearly tries to analyze them. If they approach you or pester you it's a different matter of course.

Edited by Baht Simpson

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

i bet 10 baht you will moan when you move to your next location 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i bet 10 baht you will moan when you move to your next location 

Without my wife, I would be bored to death to! 

Simple as that, and no, not just any girl cuold replaced her! 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 3:58 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Im going for walks, I'm going for massage, I'm sitting by the pool ,I'm going to the gym ....

I don't like to drink or bars 

Could I live like this if I retired ?

No thanks 

You know how depressed I would be  sitting in a dark 21sqm room in the view talay?

I'm slightly confused.  Why would you do something you don't want to do?

If you don't want to move to Pattaya, don't move there.  If you wouldn't mind moving there, but you'd like to stay active and not drink, then do that.

There's no law saying what you have to do if you live in a certain place.

7 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm slightly confused.  Why would you do something you don't want to do?

If you don't want to move to Pattaya, don't move there.  If you wouldn't mind moving there, but you'd like to stay active and not drink, then do that.

There's no law saying what you have to do if you live in a certain place.

Finances probably. I would be in the south of france right now.

• Thumbs Up 1