Manhunt Launched for Fugitive Brit Thought to be Hiding in Thailand

webfact

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, connda said:

What about a manhunt for a cop-killing Thai billionaire's heir somewhere in Europe?
Quid pro quo?

sounds like you have had a little too much red bull tonight. 

Edited by stoner

1 minute ago, stoner said:

who else thought of bob when  they first saw the story and pic ? come on be honest. 

Bob's a yank for sure.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

I think there should be a special forum for Brit's crimes on AN.

Everyday about those criminals from the Island.

Why is it that mostly Brits got problems with laws?

Don't tell me it's the genes😂

And there lies the problem…you think. 

2 minutes ago, Utalk2mutt said:

And there lies the problem…you think. 

Yes, I'm proud being able and capable to think. For me daily basis. Could it be that it is for you something special?😂 Only on Thanksgiving?😂 Booze day?😂 Or every leap-year?😂 Take your pick🤗

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

I have only just left there and moved here.

Believe me when I say the worst place for misbehaving Brits is in Great Britain itself.

Never ending.

The current group of 20-35 years olds are just a pack of posing, drunken, drugged out, entitled aggressive animals always looking for trouble while crying the victim.

And that is just the women.

While it is embarrassing for me for the constant incidents here and in just about every other country we travel to in numbers it still beats the hell of living amongst them 24/7. 

I am moving upcountry soon and am praying there are not any others up there who have jaded the locals.

I can empathized with you on that. I try to stay in hotels not flooded with mainland Chinese due to their feasting habits during buffet breakfast. I try not to be identified with them as I am a Malaysian Chinese but western educated. Looks can be deceiving . 😁

12 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Naive to think, he´s coming on his own Passport:post-4641-1156694572:

So how do you think they know where he is?

They tracked his movements via his "fake passport"

that's really naive

14 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

We come from a land where people are encouraged to be idiots because it is funny, the drinking culture has evolved into a drug culture, the people can slag off police with little consequence, people can commit crimes with little consequence, people slag off each other with little consequence.

That style doesn’t blend in well with Thai culture so many get a reality check. We just don’t travel well.

You just described here

17 hours ago, freeworld said:

If he is hiding in Thailand it will not be long before they catch him.

Don't know why people abscond like that, eventually circumstances will catch up with them.

Maybe he should have tried hiding in one of the following countries:

The United Kingdom does not have extradition treaties with a number of countries, including Afghanistan, Algeria, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, and Syria

i will keep that list of desirable countries handy for the next time i do a runner

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, theblether said:

Absconding is rare. And you need to be stupid to abscond from a single figure sentence. My daft mate absconded from a six year sentence and spent five years on the run. The police harassed the life out of his friends and family, and he missed his mothers illness, death and funeral. He was captured in Amsterdam, and had an extra year added to his sentence for absconding. 

He said he regretted his stupidity. The stress of constantly looking over his shoulder and being unable to plan for the future ground him down. Some members of his family disowned him due to the harassment. He said the eventual arrest was a relief. He's now out and living in Amsterdam. You are never free when you are being hunted. 

Interesting. I was told by several retired police officers that arrest warrants usually await 'whatever'. After the officers involved had moved on, resigned or retired there was zero done with them. One guy was stopped for speeding in Wales. It was found he had an outstanding arrest warrant from 20+ years ago.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Interesting. I was told by several retired police officers that arrest warrants usually await 'whatever'. After the officers involved had moved on, resigned or retired there was zero done with them. One guy was stopped for speeding in Wales. It was found he had an outstanding arrest warrant from 20+ years ago.

I know for a fact, and contrary to what people believe, that the police don't ordinarily go hunting down warrants as there are far too many and most are minor. The difference in my mates case was that three of his accomplices appeared and there was a firearms conviction involved and it was a High Court warrant ( in Scotland, sentences over five years can only be handed down by High Courts ). They were keen to get this guy. 

As a rule of thumb, the police will use warrants to harass people they know and who are on their hitlist. Friday afternoons are a dangerous time as the police go looking for the vagabonds they hate as they will automatically have to spend the weekend in jail before appearing at 2pm on the Monday afternoon. If they arrest them first thing in the morning they'll be transported to court and have a decent chance of being bailed. By the afternoon, there's no chance of a court appearance and hence the infamous weekender awaits. 

Anyway, it's a real cat and mouse game and there's a degree of personal enmity involved.  

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A golden rule in Thailand. Be wary and if possible, keep away from those falangs westerners posing as friendly chums and trying to engage conversations in public places. One can fall on some weirdo criminal fleeing from his home country or some junkie under some strong narcotic substance.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2024 at 11:26 PM, freeworld said:

If he is hiding in Thailand it will not be long before they catch him.

Don't know why people abscond like that, eventually circumstances will catch up with them.

Maybe he should have tried hiding in one of the following countries:

The United Kingdom does not have extradition treaties with a number of countries, including Afghanistan, Algeria, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, and Syria

Lebanon pretty nice back in the late 60's early 70's when I lived there.  Before the "troubles".

On 5/30/2024 at 12:05 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

...and then what?   He's not wanted in Thailand, UK police have no jurisdiction here and, presumably, he entered legally...it's not rocket science.

Home free?

On 5/30/2024 at 12:28 AM, BritScot said:

In the UK you are innocent until convicted (thank god)! So his passport is his unless it can be shown he is a flight risk and even then it's almost impossible to prove. Let's remember before he is publicly hung drawn and quartered in the uk conspiracy to supply is not exactly crime of the century in the uk. A couple of years at most. We dont know the ins and outs of the accusations and how valid they are. 

It is common in the US for those given bail to surrender their passports.  After all you're not a flight risk till you flee. YankMike

On 5/30/2024 at 2:58 AM, MalcolmB said:

I have only just left there and moved here.

Believe me when I say the worst place for misbehaving Brits is in Great Britain itself.

Never ending.

The current group of 20-35 years olds are just a pack of posing, drunken, drugged out, entitled aggressive animals always looking for trouble while crying the victim.

And that is just the women.

While it is embarrassing for me for the constant incidents here and in just about every other country we travel to in numbers it still beats the hell of living amongst them 24/7. 

I am moving upcountry soon and am praying there are not any others up there who have jaded the locals.

Haven't run into a lot up here in Chiang Rai.  Check it out.

On 5/30/2024 at 5:01 AM, rgrdns said:

Smart-cars-with-facial-recognition-technology-are-helping-immigration-Police-find-overstays.-via-Facebook-1.jpg

Smart cars with facial recognition technology are helping immigration Police 

It won't take long as soon as the Smart cars brigade is operating 🙂

Isn't that from about 10 years ago?  Did they ever catch any bad  visa felons?

On 5/30/2024 at 4:44 AM, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Photo courtesy of North Yorkshire Police UK

British Police have launched an international manhunt for a fugitive from Warrington, UK, who is believed to be hiding in Thailand

Luke Atkin, a 36-year-old from Lower Walton, failed to appear in court on serious drug charges and is now on the run. Atkin was charged with conspiracy to supply cocaine but did not attend his trial at Bradford Crown Court. Last week, he was found guilty in absentia, leading the authorities to issue an immediate warrant for his arrest.

North Yorkshire Police suspect Atkin has fled the country and may be hiding in Thailand. The awareness of his potential location emerged from various sources, warranting an urgent public appeal for any information regarding his whereabouts.

A police spokesperson issued a statement urging public cooperation. 

“Luke Atkin is wanted by the courts. Do you know where he is? We are appealing to anyone who has seen him or knows where he is now to contact us. It's believed that he has travelled abroad and could be in Thailand. We urge anyone with information to call us on 101 and reference incident number 12240074511. Alternatively, you can pass information anonymously to Crimestoppers online or by calling 0800 555 111."

Atkin's case has captured public attention due to the severity of the charges and his daring escape. Authorities believe public assistance could be crucial in locating him.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-30

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

He's got more chance if he slips over to Cambo in to the "Heart of darkness !!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2024 at 4:04 PM, worgeordie said:

Will keep an eye out for him .... did they not take his passport off him,

before letting him out on bail...

regards worgeordie 

Maybe he has more than one 

On 6/1/2024 at 5:34 AM, sabaiguy said:

Haven't run into a lot up here in Chiang Rai.  Check it out.

Britain is not alone, crime is rampant in NZ amongst young people and children who are ram raiding shops and can't be arrested. 

On 5/30/2024 at 1:48 PM, newbee2022 said:

I think there should be a special forum for Brit's crimes on AN.

Everyday about those criminals from the Island.

Why is it that mostly Brits got problems with laws?

Don't tell me it's the genes😂

Is your own problem genetic then.?

And a Brit can be from more than one island.

Edited by saintdomingo

On 5/31/2024 at 6:33 AM, steve187 said:

i will keep that list of desirable countries handy for the next time i do a runner

We could do with a longer list that includes some more hospitable destinations.

So some lad in the pub said anyway.