Excessive tourism could jeopardize Koh Larn's future

snoop1130

For challenges as a middle-income economy Thailand needed to transform its economy from agriculture to export-oriented manufacturing. Not increase low income value, how cost tourism.

But the export price index for high value Thai manufactured goods increased by only 6% in total during the last 8 years.

Thais need to face the fact that the Prayut-Thavisin-TBD governments are incapable of getting Thais out of the middle income class trap and have only worsened it.

Middle-income trapped countries need to embrace a strategy focused on capability to advance innovation, move up the value chain, and create decent jobs. Tourism will not advance the country out of the middle income class trap.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"Excessive tourism could jeopardize ..."

Really? Could it?

Or was there already excessive tourism for more than 2 decades?

I used to go there almost 30 years ago. At that time, we visited a beach on the other side of the island with basically no people at all.

Other beaches on the island were at that time already totally crowded.

And now someone thinks about excessive tourism might do something bad in the future. Really? 

I was about to post exactly the same thing.

Koh Larn was lovely and quiet and clean back then. Now..... YUK!

Reminds me of a mini version of Phuket ☹

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VBF said:

Phuket too...... fond memories of going there a long time ago... it was actually reasonably priced too. Had a wonderful lobster meal for under $20.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:
On 5/31/2024 at 9:57 AM, VBF said:

Phuket too...... fond memories of going there a long time ago... it was actually reasonably priced too. Had a wonderful lobster meal for under $20.

You must be as old as me 😂

I remember Phuket as an unspoilt (almost) tropical island with lots of jungle, (great for the Hash House Harriers) superb almost deserted beaches and, apart from Phuket Town, very little concrete.

To quote Joni Mitchell: "They paved Paradise and put up a parking lot"

As small as Koh Larn is, it's heading that way.

• Agree 1

On 5/31/2024 at 6:46 AM, jacko45k said:

Let ir go, beyond recovery.

Now I hear Koh Samet is quite nice. 

No it isn't, it's just the same, but marginally more effort to get to!

12 hours ago, Grusa said:

No it isn't, it's just the same, but marginally more effort to get to!

Been some years since I got there.... my first trip I was expected to jump into the sea and wade ashore from a boat... they were there asking for the National Park Entry money before my feet got wet! I got bitten to death by mosquitoes and was kept awake by bullfrogs.....Koh Chang I took to better, but that was quite an effort to get to. 

• Confused 1

Lack of sustainable development and tourism management are why thailand while in the top third globally will never sniff top 10 tourist countries 

way too much greed and lack of vision keep  thailand on the stationary bike - don’t know how to move forward 

On 5/31/2024 at 1:49 AM, nobodysfriend said:

by wanting more and more , it is likely they will have less and less in the future

That's right but thais can't think ahead. They wan't the tourist money NOW not in the future.

• Agree 1