Crime In Thailand Versus Crime In Your Home Country

5 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

Just wanted to get a feel for the Expat community experiences regarding crime in Thailand they have personally experienced versus crime in their home countries they have personally experienced.

I come from the UK and in the final 10 years I lived there my car was broken into 3 times and had my CD player stolen each time. My home was burgled (robbed) 2 times. I had my garden wall kicked down. I was assaulted once and was scammed once by a fraudster... I by no means lived in an inner city urban enviroment but instead a sleepy Oxfordshire market town... 

I have lived in Thailand for 14 years and have never personally experienced any crime against myself or my property and I can not recall any crime happening to any of my very extensive Thai family members... In fact the last time I visited the UK for 3 weeks, becasue we had lost our front door key, we just left it unlocked and I had absolutely no worries.

Am I just lucky here?

I am talking about crime you personally experienced or to anyone close to you... I am not talking about crime you have read about, because this is a country of almost 70 million population and of course there is going to be crime on a general scale... There is crime on a general scale in every country on earth.

I don't think corruption should count here, we all know it is almost a cultural feature here but restricted to people of authority.

I am talking about amongst the general public.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and relay your thoughts.

For me it is the opposite, never been affected by crime in my home country, in Thailand got broken into twice had unit burned down got threatened with a gun twice by my FIL.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, still kicking said:

For me it is the opposite, never been affected by crime in my home country, in Thailand got broken into twice had unit burned down got threatened with a gun twice by my FIL.

Are you in a heavily touristed area?

Threatened a few times in the UK. Once by someone with a knife. (I just walked away).

Wife was mugged twice in the UK.

Here in Thailand - nothing.

Wife felt more safe in both Bangkok and Samui.

• Agree 2

id say LOS is petty stuff...ive had money taken from my pocket...my phone and left the key in my motorbike for a second

but i ride my bicycle daily and never lock it...also leave my backpack on my mbike and nothing happens....

id say if you create and oppty for someone they will take it.....as we read about the idiot indians who still insist on wearing gold chains down south........as for your stolen cd player can pick up a new one at 2nd hand shop...next to all the vcrs and kuerigs!

or just use spotify as i do.....as i had a record collection that was huge...with cassettes and cds too....loving my thai spotify app

15 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

There is no crime here. I could go to the worst neighborhood in Thailand carrying a box of hundred dollars bills in it and nothing would happen to me. 

would you take the gold chain challenge in pattaya?    indians seem to have not learned the lesson....or if they do it for insurance scams..im pretty sure the insurance folks are on to them by now.... 🙂  if they survive the heat over there!!!

• Agree 1

Nothing comes to mind, myself experiencing any crime in home country/USA & here/TH.

I feel just as safe here/TH, as I did in the USA.

Lived in some economically depressed / higher crime areas in the USA, and no problems.

Here/TH, most of the country looks economically depressed at times, so hard to judge where the high crime areas are.  Been very rural, very congested metro, and very touristy areas, and again, never a problem.

Wee bit of common sense helps, but never felt uncomfortable walking around any area in either country.  Or any other country, for that matter.

53 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

There is no crime here. I could go to the worst neighborhood in Thailand carrying a box of hundred dollars bills in it and nothing would happen to me. 

Maybe not, because they wouldn't know what to do with them, but you might be sold into a bordello or to a fat  middle eastern millionaire looking for his fantasy.

I have never been on the receiving end of crime either here or in the UK .

However , I did experience a strange event in the UK that could have proved fatal to either myself or my father when I was about 14. ( now 66 )

On that evening we were both sitting  on the sofa watching ' it's a knockout ' or some such thing when suddenly the lamp standing in the window shattered.

Strange ? Dad went to investigate  but couldn't see what caused it. It was only about 10 minutes  later when one of us went to the kitchen and noticed a splinter hole through the adjoining dining room door. Further investigation  found a hole in the thick dining room curtain at the back of the house and a dent in the wall. On the floor was a spent bullet.

Police were called but obviously  nothing further discovered. Except that the trajectory of the bullet passed about 18 inches  in front of our heads. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

TH is very big in diversity. What you encounter at BKK's slums, gov housing projects, far Lard Prao subsois is just one hell. 

please don't compare country vs. country. It IS NOT statistically correct request.

• Agree 1

Suffered burglaries twice in Bangkok, each time in (different) condo buildings. Never been burgled in New Zealand.

Had my car broken in to once in New Zealand, never in Thailand.

Had my car damaged where someone ran a key over the bonnet of it in Thailand, nothing like that ever happened in New Zealand.

For me, I personally suffered more crime in Thailand than New Zealand.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 5:25 PM, Brewster67 said:

Just wanted to get a feel for the Expat community experiences regarding crime in Thailand they have personally experienced versus crime in their home countries they have personally experienced.

I come from the UK and in the final 10 years I lived there my car was broken into 3 times and had my CD player stolen each time. My home was burgled (robbed) 2 times. I had my garden wall kicked down. I was assaulted once and was scammed once by a fraudster... I by no means lived in an inner city urban enviroment but instead a sleepy Oxfordshire market town... 

I have lived in Thailand for 14 years and have never personally experienced any crime against myself or my property and I can not recall any crime happening to any of my very extensive Thai family members... In fact the last time I visited the UK for 3 weeks, becasue we had lost our front door key, we just left it unlocked and I had absolutely no worries.

Am I just lucky here?

I am talking about crime you personally experienced or to anyone close to you... I am not talking about crime you have read about, because this is a country of almost 70 million population and of course there is going to be crime on a general scale... There is crime on a general scale in every country on earth.

I don't think corruption should count here, we all know it is almost a cultural feature here but restricted to people of authority.

I am talking about amongst the general public.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and relay your thoughts.

In general I think we farangs live in peace here.

However, 2 times I was assaulted by farangs, not Thais. 🙏

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I used to live in a small town in the countryside in the UK and there was far more crime there than here in Thailand. Also feel far safer walking about here, than the UK...

• Love It 1

On 6/1/2024 at 10:34 PM, Chris Daley said:

Yeah uk is a <deleted>hole.  Crime is worse.

You and I know the reason but we are not allowed to express it, and no, I am not from the UK but from another European country under the EU regime, where exactly the same misery prevails.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Vitually non-existant here, I leave the keys in the bike all the time, car unlocked and only a lock on the front gate. Never had anything stolen or any issues. Unlike back home, the reverse applies.

Pretty sure car theft of high end cars less likely here , as is not getting mugged for wearing a decent watch .( Most probably think it's a fake 🤣 )

Violent assaults or attacks here with knives etc seems to be mostly for a reason and Thai people knows to victims. Be it money dispute, girlfriends finding a new guy or people being blind drunk on Lao kow arguing over the next drink.

In UK it's gangs of feral kids stabbing each other , random people, robbing anyone in broad daylight of phones , watches , scooters ,bikes etc .

Crime seems to be (much) worse now in my Danish home country than where I live in Thailand; when I left it 20 years ago crime was increasing in my home country but still not a major problem as now.