Multiple Entry Marriage Visa

Hi all

Since COVID I have been doing the 400k in the bank for my marriage visa and using an agency.

This year things have got a bit tight so thinking of going back to the one year multiple entry marriage visa.

Was going to head to Vientiane and do it there. Before COVID I was going to Savannakhet.

Can anyone tell me if this is still feasible and will they still allow one day border crossings on this visa?

1 hour ago, JT65 said:

Can anyone tell me if this is still feasible and will they still allow one day border crossings on this visa?

OP, you have good advice above and the OP in that link provides very detailed report.

You will required money in bank account 400k and an appointment and no will not be done in a day.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1321369-1-year-multiple-entry-based-on-marriage-savannakhet-feb-28th-2024-report/

31 minutes ago, JT65 said:

Thanks for info 

Is Savannakhet better option than Vientiane?

Vientiane  requires and appointment 

This attached thread link shows process time and appointment link.

It's book well in advance.

Savannakhet recently moved to appointment requirement..

Seems for the multi many folk go to Savannakhet.

1 hour ago, JT65 said:

Thanks for info 

Is Savannakhet better option than Vientiane?

Can anyone confirm how long the 400k needs to be in the bank prior to applying for the visa?

I will be riding a big bike from Chiang Mai so Vientiane is the better option as it's a much shorter ride

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, JT65 said:

Can anyone confirm how long the 400k needs to be in the bank prior to applying for the visa?

I will be riding a big bike from Chiang Mai so Vientiane is the better option as it's a much shorter ride

Sorry no idea, but may I ask a question? Are you looking for a Single Entry NON-O or a Multiple Entry? (Reread the OP and there it is mentioned Multiple Entry)

If going for a Multiple Entry Savannakhet will definitely issue these and I can't find any link that Vientiane also does these, so make sure you check that before going.

Edit: here a thread on how long the money needs to be in the bank and there it is said that it needs to be 2 months

Edited by MJCM

Has anyone not been given a visa because the 400k wasn't seasoned. there sooms to be other thrads where nonseasoned people have got the visa?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, kjdude said:

Has anyone not been given a visa because the 400k wasn't seasoned. there sooms to be other thrads where nonseasoned people have got the visa?

Some reports that without seasoned funds obtained a non O marriage (single entry) as multi requirement not satisfied. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I've been to Savannakhet a couple times this year.  Things change depending on who's sitting behind the window and how they feel that day.  To more or less guarantee a Non-O Multiple based on Marriage have the money seasoned for 2 months .... in a Thai bank account.  If less, you might be stuck with a Single entry.

Edited by Jaymatheson
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Jaymatheson said:

I've been to Savannakhet a couple times this year.  Things change depending on who's sitting behind the window and how they feel that day.  To more or less guarantee a Non-O Multiple based on Marriage have the money seasoned for 2 months .... in a Thai bank account.  If less, you might be stuck with a Single entry.

Good summary.

Without the funds seasoned for 2 months may need to accept single entry non O offer

• Thanks 1

The OP says that money is a bit tight, but he still needs the 400,000 baht in the bank to get the multi-entry visa. When you consider the cost of the new visa, 2-3 days in Laos to get it (paying for a Laos visa as well), plus the need to leave the country every 3 months, just getting an extension in Thailand would be cheaper. Could still use some of the 400,000 for living costs after one month also.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 10:40 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I wonder how many other countries allow you into a country for 60 (?) days to 'visit' your wife, before having to go through the pantomime of then doing a repeat? Does anyone have any experience of such things elsewhere? Genuine question. Whenever I've mentioned to friends and family the hoops we have to go through and forms we have to complete and documents we have to provide every year for the one year extension, they don't believe me or tell me I should live somewhere else. So, how typical are the Thai restrictions? 

And it just gets more difficult. Never easier.

i was advised by a io that I somehow managed to gain some report with that I should just switch to a retirement visa. He’s basically saying without the exact words “yeah, we screw married couples, retirement visa is so much easier”. But why? 

The answer reminds me of crime in the United States. The government always imposes its will on you in the name of fighting crime. Erodes your freedoms. In other words, citizens pay for govt ineptitude. same deal here. Do some take advantage of the marriage visa regulations? I’m sure they do. But why on earth make that legitimate peoples problem? 

44 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

i was advised by a io that I somehow managed to gain some report with that I should just switch to a retirement visa. He’s basically saying without the exact words “yeah, we screw married couples, retirement visa is so much easier”. But why? 

A standard IO can approve an extension based on retirement.

Extensions based on marriage have to be chacked and approved by a senior IO at regional level.

That check also tantamounts to checking the standard IO did his checks correctly before submitting it for final approval.

If the IO makes an error, he's in fear of getting a rollocking and loosing face - that's why.

• Agree 1

On 6/5/2024 at 9:40 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I wonder how many other countries allow you into a country for 60 (?) days to 'visit' your wife, before having to go through the pantomime of then doing a repeat?

It's 90 days on entry from a Non Imm O ME visa, then you can extend that stay for a further 60 days before doing a border run.

It's possible to stay for almost 17 months with only 3 border runs and 3 x 60 day extensions before applying for another new visa.

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

A standard IO can approve an extension based on retirement.

Extensions based on marriage have to be chacked and approved by a senior IO at regional level.

That check also tantamounts to checking the standard IO did his checks correctly before submitting it for final approval.

If the IO makes an error, he's in fear of getting a rollocking and loosing face - that's why.

Most people don’t understand what getting a marriage extension actually means when you do it by the book. Because in places like Pattaya and bangkok they simply cannot do it they don’t have the manpower. This may be true in many places actually, even out in the sticks idk. But where I live they go exactly by the book. They come to your house. They do all sorts of weird stuff with the pictures. I even got turned down once because, wait for it… an no I’m not even joking, we were smiling. So we had to go redo our application because you can’t smile in the pictures supposedly. By the book checks can also entail an interview with a family member. So you must ask your mother in law for example to take off work and travel a day one way to get to the location. It’s an absolute abomination and I know for a fact people don’t even know about these “by the book” applications because I can’t think of many who would put up with it all. I certainly will never get one again I do 1 year multiple non o and enter exit country every 3 months. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

It’s an absolute abomination and I know for a fact people don’t even know about these “by the book” applications because I can’t think of many who would put up with it all. I certainly will never get one again I

What will you do if Lao is enrolled into the online evisa application system, where the Non Imm O ME isn't available, leave the Country?

27 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I do 1 year multiple non o and enter exit country every 3 months. 

Fool you when you can get a 60 day extension for each 90 day entry.

5 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

What will you do if Lao is enrolled into the online evisa application system, where the Non Imm O ME isn't available, leave the Country?

I’ll move to the PI. A place that seems to be more welcoming. I am quite astonished about every 3 months how difficult they make all this for people actually married to thai citizens. Over it. Spread my dollars to a country that cares for 2/3 of the year or something

3 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

And it just gets more difficult. Never easier.

The answer reminds me of crime in the United States. The government always imposes its will on you in the name of fighting crime. Erodes your freedoms. In other words, citizens pay for govt ineptitude. same deal here. Do some take advantage of the marriage visa regulations? I’m sure they do. But why on earth make that legitimate peoples problem? 

They tried to get me to change to a retirement extension as it's a lot easier for them. If they don't like their own rules then maybe they should change them, instead of making it difficult for themselves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

It's 90 days on entry from a Non Imm O ME visa, then you can extend that stay for a further 60 days before doing a border run.

It's possible to stay for almost 17 months with only 3 border runs and 3 x 60 day extensions before applying for another new visa.

Yes, exactly. You are forced to exit the country for no reason, only to return five minutes later. Pathetic, pointless and a pantomime. There is absolutely no reason for border runs. My sister-in-law went to live in Hungary - five year visa, no border runs, no visits from immigration, no 90-day reports. Just an attitude of thank you for choosing our country to spend your money. She was even able to sell her garden produce in the market without risk of arrest for not having a work permit.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 12:24 PM, Liquorice said:

Depending on your local-office, a border-run is sometimes less hassle than dealing with immigration for a 60-day extension.  Your local IO/Office may vary in how you are treated for these extensions.

For example, your wife has to miss a day of work to do the extension - or the owner of the condo you rent will not / unavailable to provide the Chanote and House-Book for it per immigration's demand - etc.