Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

2 hours ago, CallumWK said:

FCD's are accepted s proof of funds by Thai immigration

For the record: as an official policy yes. And my FCD dollar account worked for me for 2 or 3 years till I got the same old IO gal two years in a row who got tired of checking with my bank that my FCD account was real and gave me an ultimatum: I'm going to put this visa in your passport and you are going to walk out of this cubicle and downstairs and move all those dollars into your (til then minimal) Thai baht account, and you better do it. So I did, at 33/dollar, and don't particularly regret it since I got deposit insurance by doing so. What was bad was when they stopped the affidavit method, but there was a personal upside to that which I don't need to go into. The big picture is that IOs will always differ. Sorry so long.

Just now, Mike Lister said:

Grandfathered of course, or more likely in your case, uncled or similar. 🙂

That's what I would hope for any changes to anybody's Visas, it's just wrong to change the requirements & pull the rug from under somebody's feet when they've been settled here for years, but extensions were specifically included in the post so seem to be saying that they don't believe people should be Grandfathered in. 

• Agree 2

On 6/17/2024 at 6:06 AM, Mike Teavee said:

I 100% agree, what they did to existing Non-IMM OA holders about Health insurance was shocking & IIRC Phuket refused to implement it so NON-IMM OA holders there do not need to show Health Insurance when extending. 

Last time they uprated the financial requirements (twice) they "Grandfathered In" people who have been on the exact same Visa for 4 years, if they do change anything, let's hope they just "Grandfather In" everybody who already has a Visa.

Well, unless the govt changesl completely, and they find some money for the coffers, then I would bet on drastic financial changes (not for the good of the ex-pats either) for new and/or old retirees.  When this govt starts the changes, they seem to steamroll depending on where the pressure is coming from.  Right now seeing a govt out of money we can easily note their panic in finding some by any means and expats are one of the easiest targets as we can either shell out more or leave - nothing in between.  I am hoping though that not everything changes in relation to the finance side as I feel too that whatever is coming might not affect me at all nor many of my fellow ex-pats.  Good luck to all of us.

On 6/17/2024 at 8:56 AM, Ben Zioner said:

To proceed with expatriation without a proper health was reckless 20 years ago just as it is today.  And should Thailand bear the burden of healthcare for a population of uninsured Geezers?  The least the Government can do will be make sure that all new arrivals have a proper long term health cover. Now what to do with the people who thought they were entitled to quality, low cost health care in Thailand? I have no idea, but the Thai authorities would have to admit that have been guilty of too much leniency with these visas issued in the past.

Yeah, I am approaching 80...not quite yet but the date of acquisition on my health insurance (through US govt) is 1996, retired with it in 2005, added wife and daughter later, so my costs are fairly high for that insurance and continues to climb every year but as mentioned by others the older we get most likely health problems increase too and some of those could wipe out a rich person.  Fortunately, too for me, my insurer covers any of our health problems even here in Thailand.  I am glad that I did keep it upon retirement, and yeah many years I was paying only for myself as local costs for anything were fairly cheap in comparison and then eventually went the family route.  COVID, if in the US would have been covered by the govt for the most part - here 500 baht local COVID insurance included hospital stays and visits to the doctor/medicines - hard to beat that 500 baht even compared to the US freebies in my opinion.  But if any changes to retirement visas and insurance, you can bet that the local insurers will try to find a way for the expats to HAVE to us a local insurer too.  But, like all the other unknown plans of this govt or the next, TIT and we might be worrying about NOTHING really bad to happen.  Good Luck!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/17/2024 at 9:15 AM, JimGant said:

Actually, not true. To extend for retirement off of a Non Imm O-A -- you still needed to meet the medical insurance requirement -- unlike extending off of a Non Imm O. And they would only accept one of the designated Thai insurance companies. Bummer. LTR visas, however, tho' requiring health insurance, would accept my US govt Tricare insurance. Thus, a main reason for switching.

The BOI also will accept some foreign insurance companies that are willing to spell out exactily the coverage that the BOI needs for approval.  Mine happens to be within the US govt insurance approved companies and I am sure other countries probably have some insurers that might be willing to cover one in Thailand at the required amounts.

1 minute ago, Confuscious said:

Today, I received a letter from my bank in Belgium with a copy of the information they exchanged with the tax department in Thailand in the "Automatic Exchange of Financial Information" program.
I can not publish a scan of the letter as it is in Dutch and attachements are accepted only in English.
Short, my bank in Belgium gave the IRS in Thailand a COMPLETE OVERVIEW of the details of my account in Belgium, including the revenues and total saldo on December 31, 2023.

Link to https://web-archive.oecd.org/2016-01-27/238340-Automatic-Exchange-Financial-Account-Information-Brief.pdf

As far as I have been following this thread, Thailand would only tax residents based on the Income/transferred money into Thailand.
Not the amount of money in the bank account abroad.
Am I missing something here?
Will Thailand claim Tax on money that is in my Savings account since 45 years?

I suspect the exchange between your Bank & Thailand is part of CRS (Common Reporting Standards) part of OECD that Thailand's signed up for, but I'm curious, does your Bank know that you live in Thailand & have you registered your Thai Tax Identification Number with them? 

No, any savings you had prior to 1/1/2024 can be remitted to Thailand free of Tax. 

4 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I suspect the exchange between your Bank & Thailand is part of CRS (Common Reporting Standards) part of OECD that Thailand's signed up for, but I'm curious, does your Bank know that you live in Thailand & have you registered your Thai Tax Identification Number with them? 

No, any savings you had prior to 1/1/2024 can be remitted to Thailand free of Tax. 

Yes, the report os part of the exchange between my bank in Belgium and the Thai IRS.

Yes, my bank has my residence address since 2002, date at which I quit my residence in Belgium and filed my residence at the Embassy in Thailand (Model 8 formular).
m
I have not registered a Thai Tax ID-number (was rejected as published in this forum).

My savings/current bank account only shows a total saldo in my account.
The saldo is not specified year by year.
How can that decide what was there before 2024 and after 2023/
Crazzy

35 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

As far as I have been following this thread, Thailand would only tax residents based on the Income/transferred money into Thailand.

That's probably going to become history, because under the new CRS and FATCA reporting rules -- which don't address remittances -- it will be a lot easier for Thai RD authorities to identify foreign income -- and tax accordingly, without the added implement of needing to be remitted. That's why the remittance rule is probably going to be history.

35 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Monies in an account, after the latest tax year, will be considered after tax (savings), and thus not subject to taxation. Thailand is looking to join the rest of the world, which taxes only current year income, regardless of remitances (with the some very minor exceptions, of no real note).

Edited by JimGant

10 minutes ago, JimGant said:

That's probably going to become history, because under the new CRS and FATCA reporting rules -- which don't address remittances -- it will be a lot easier for Thai RD authorities to identify foreign income -- and tax accordingly, without the added implement of needing to be remitted. That's why the remittance rule is probably going to be history.

So, Thailand will refer to the income in your bank account for their taxes claim?
Your income, but also every amount that is put in your bank account as a gift, donation, etc.?
Crazy

10 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Monies in an account, after the latest tax year, will be considered after tax (savings), and thus not subject to taxation. Thailand is looking to join the rest of the world, which taxes only current year income, regardless of remitances (with the exception of some very minor exceptions, of no real note).

The Belgian tax rule is that taxes are levied on the PREVIOUS YEAR.
So, the due taxes of 2024 calculation is based on the revenues of 2023 (a whole year).

PS.: The bank does not have information about how much tax was already paid.
Example: The bank account shows a revenue of "x Eur" monthly, but don't show that "y Eur" tax was paid on the "x Eur" revenue.

Edited by Confuscious
Add

36 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

So, Thailand will refer to the income in your bank account for their taxes claim?
Your income, but also every amount that is put in your bank account as a gift, donation, etc.?
Crazy

I would imagine the algorithms used by CRS and FATCA reporting are sophisticated enough to discern income from other cash flows. Otherwise, these reporting systems would be worthless.

38 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

The Belgian tax rule is that taxes are levied on the PREVIOUS YEAR.

I said tax year, not current year.

34 minutes ago, JimGant said:

I would imagine the algorithms used by CRS and FATCA reporting are sophisticated enough to discern income from other cash flows. Otherwise, these reporting systems would be worthless.

I said tax year, not current year.

This is getting crazy.
Better leaving Thailand and don't stay here longer that 179 days.
That's what they want, or not?

Just now, Confuscious said:

This is getting crazy.
Better leaving Thailand and don't stay here longer that 179 days.
That's what they want, or not?

Either that, or don't have anything more complicated than US social security and maybe a simple annuity. 

50 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Either that, or don't have anything more complicated than US social security and maybe a simple annuity. 

A few members of this forum that I know personal left Thailand already.

And a member who returned last week with his wife from the vs is now selling his house and all his belongings and will go back to the USA 

Count me in..  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Today, I received a letter from my bank in Belgium with a copy of the information they exchanged with the tax department in Thailand in the "Automatic Exchange of Financial Information" program.
I can not publish a scan of the letter as it is in Dutch and attachements are accepted only in English.
Short, my bank in Belgium gave the IRS in Thailand a COMPLETE OVERVIEW of the details of my account in Belgium, including the revenues and total saldo on December 31, 2023.

Link to https://web-archive.oecd.org/2016-01-27/238340-Automatic-Exchange-Financial-Account-Information-Brief.pdf

Not the amount of money in the bank account abroad.
Am I missing something here?

Quite the letter and shows how diligently they plan to look for people that are filing necessary tax forms nor paying their fair share - exactly what they called it in the letter.  I notice too that they are really interested in people acurately noting thier living address and updating if necessary to the point where if there is any question multiple jurisdictions could claim the taxes.  After the July 2023 OECD meeting and signatories there must be even more details that we can access as banks do in fact start to advise us on what they interpret is necessary in following the guidelines.  There is also details on FACTA and CRS in following with OECD search for people's finance details.  I didn't read all of the above data in the overview but it is extensive and for you finance wizards, it might help all if you could check it out and analyze it a put it in clear language for us to better understand how they are going after our data and what the banks here should be prepared for.  GOOD LUCK TO ALL 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

is that still true if this new rule passes?

5 minutes ago, Jinxed1 said:

is that still true if this new rule passes?

I believe so, highly unlikely they would retroactively tax Global Income as laws tend to apply from a certain point forward. 

• Agree 2

Some continued bickering posts removed. Please stay on topic, not each other.

Polite reminder of rule 12. You will not use the report button in an attempt to score points against other members.