Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

shows you how much I paid attention to the clip...just passing it along as I continue seeing the same questions from people though none of us including ALL the experts legal or not has any real clue what will be coming out of the this government on finances and taxes among a myriad of other problems facing them.  Though I do hope that the expats remaining here have no serious tax problems due to these govt

"discussions".

12 minutes ago, JackGats said:

That's where TINs come in.

But unless they change the rule on getting a Thai tax number many will continue to ignore that until someone forces them by changing that law which according to some of the videos has been suggested but shot down for some reason.  I have not clue about anything financial except for US tax on my pension.  Same goes for Thailand and my pension.  GOod luck to all.

2 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

I'm going to give the Thai government my US TIN which is my US Social Security Number? I think not.

actually, when immigration changed their policy saying that we could not use a joint account for accounting funds, I had to open a separate acccount at BB and needed to give them my ss number.  Not to worry though as I won't owe them any taxes .

10 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Agreed, too many brain farts for me.

11 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Can't see any articles germane to this guy on that link but I made the point as somebody was holding him up to be an authority on Thai Tax Law and he's not a Thai Tax Lawyer. 

I remember watching the 1st video & thinking this guy was talking out of his ass, his comment about "Only money sent from your offshore bank account to your Thai Bank account counts" is ridiculous.

This is laughable, like an amateur sportsman criticizing a professional.

Take some time to look into this lawyers background. 

He (Luca) is the real deal, long time in TH, married to a Thai royal descendant who is Managing Partner of the firm, highly connected, deals with public sector government and large businesses in Thailand.

Much closer to an authoritative source, than any of the speculation on here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, anrcaccount said:

He (Luca) is the real deal, long time in TH, married to a Thai royal descendant who is Managing Partner of the firm, highly connected, deals with public sector government and large businesses in Thailand.

I have looked....time will tell on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Presnock said:

what research.  I have only a us govt pension - dta protected, ltr no 90-day reports, royal protected after DTA so like I said I just have seen some videos that folks tell me about so I check to see that is all, I don't really need to bother with any of the crap folks spread...especially when they deeply go into their income finances..like I could really care if even if I had a clue as to what they were saying.  anyway hope you and your taxes are okay once we get the word (s) on them from the TRD.

So why do you continuously post in all the tax threads then.......

Some of the threads would be a lot less cluttered if you and others stopped posting when you obviously have nothing new to say.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lorry said:

The TRD has said more than once,  eg in the video with the Swiss embassy,  that all these things are considered remittances. You are very wrong. 

This has been discussed in the old main tax thread (the  one with 200+ pages)

Hmmm, 200+ pages of clowns and conspiracy theorists doing their usual whining, or a Thai tax lawyer that does this for a living.  So hard to decide who to listen to.

Edited by shdmn
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Is he really a Tax Lawyer? - The video hints at it but doesn't say for sure & he doesn't look Thai to me [Lawyer is a restricted Professions in Thailand]... 

If you are a professional lawyer in your home country and would like to practice your profession in Thailand, you should be aware that foreigners are prohibited to work and provide services in legal counselling, litigation and others such as representing as a lawyer in all types of cases, acting on behalf of clients in legal matters, drafting contracts or making legal documents.

https://msnagroup.com/can-a-foreign-lawyer-work-in-thailand/#:~:text=If you are a professional,on behalf of clients in

And that's a bad thing?  I know American Lawyers working in Thailand.  According to them it's not much of a problem.  I believe they just have Thai lawyers working for them doing all the legal paperwork.

Edited by shdmn

3 hours ago, shdmn said:

Hmmm, 200+ pages of clowns and conspiracy theorists doing their usual whining, or a Thai tax lawyer that does this for a living.  So hard to decide who to listen to.

3 hours ago, JimGant said:

Bingo!

Mr Luca said taxable remittance means "having a bank account in Thailand and repatriating funds into your own bank account in Thailand". He is very clear and sure about this. 

Order 161/66 says "bringing money into Thailand" (นำเงินเข้ามา)

I watched the Swiss embassy video again and couldn't find where the lawyer from the TRD said ATM withdrawals would be considered remittances. 

Did he actually say that? Am I hallucinating?

Edited by Lorry
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, shdmn said:

And that's a bad thing?  I know American Lawyers working in Thailand.  According to them it's not much of a problem.  I believe they just have Thai lawyers working for them doing all the legal paperwork.

And there was a US Enrolled agent tax preparer in Chiang Mai for about 10 yrs around 2006 until 2016 when he passed away.  Spoke with him several times including the possibility of purchasing his business and how it works.  It was 51% owned by his Thai partner in the business and a there were a few other simplistic hoops to jump through but no problem really.  Moved my family to Chiang Mai in 2016 and reached out to buy his business only to find he had unexpectedly passed away not 4 months earlier and his partner just closed the business and let his clients go.  Too bad, would have given me something to do waiting for the kids to get out of their US curriculum school given US citizens abroad get an extra 2 months to file. Too lazy to start from scratch to build up a Thai side of my practice 😉

5 hours ago, Lorry said:

I watched the Swiss embassy video again and couldn't find where the lawyer from the TRD said ATM withdrawals would be considered remittances. 

I watched the video of the French embassy, the question was asked, and the answer was clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Lorry said:
From that link:

"Mr. Luca Bernardinetti

A third generation Italian lawyer, Luca Bernardinetti is Chairman and Managing Partner of the Mahanakorn Partners Group. He leads the Banking and Finance division at MPG, which provides trade, corporate and project finance advice, as well as legal advice for cross-border financing. Over the past 20 years, Luca has led his team in structuring equity and debt financing for infrastructure and public-private partnership projects, working with highly rated banks and insurance providers.

Under his expertise and leadership, MPG has successfully undertaken several complex financing transactions, assisting private multinationals, state owned enterprises, and government agencies, to secure multi billion dollar lines of credit for infrastructure development projects.

Apart from his roles at MPG, he is the former President of the European Chamber of Commerce (EABC), member of the ICC Banking Commission, and Chairman of the Business Economics Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce (AMCHAM) in Thailand, and is a member of the Board of the Thai-Italian Chamber of Commerce. He frequently lectures at ASEAN universities, including the National University of Singapore (NUS) and Chulalongkorn University in Thailand (at the business and law schools). Over the past decade or so, he has been interviewed by several prominent global news outlets, such as BBC World Business ReportCNN and The New York Times, and several other respected forums, on matters of business, economics, and finance, and is seen as a competent and talented international legal advisor and commentator."

So, he may not be a Thai tax lawyer, but he probably knows a lot more about thai tax than I

I did some digging into the qualifications of the "tax expert", his CV on Linkedin says:

He graduated from the University of Wales.

His current role is that he's head of a food and beverage company!

He's a member of various groups that are open to many people, ie, three Chambers of Commerce.

The staff numbers at his business are not shown anywhere.

And that's it, the rest is just words without specifics.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/luca-bernardinetti-750b9654/?originalSubdomain=th

9 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

What's laughable is your inability to understand the fact that somebody held this guy up as an expert "Thai Tax Lawyer" & I simply pointed out that he cannot be a "Thai Tax Lawyer" because Lawyer is a reserved profession in Thailand.

You can only be a Lawyer in Thailand if you're Thai (I typed that really slowly so hopefully you'll be able to understand it this time). 

The Guy has shown himself to be an idiot on both of the videos I've seen him in but please, feel free to follow all of his advice & I'm sure he'll be there to give you legal advice (Illegally) should you need it. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

15 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

I'm going to give the Thai government my US TIN which is my US Social Security Number? I think not.

Not sure if they want foreign tax numbers but they do want you to have a Thai tax number if you are in Thailand longer than 6 months.

Edited by shdmn

9 hours ago, shdmn said:

Not a bad thing at all... 

Maybe I just worded it badly but my point was Somebody had a go at another poster & held this guy up as a Thai Tax Lawyer & I simply pointed out he cannot be a lawyer in Thailand because he's not Thai.

That's it

44 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I did some digging into the qualifications of the "tax expert", his CV on Linkedin says:

He graduated from the University of Wales.

His current role is that he's head of a food and beverage company!

He's a member of various groups that are open to many people, ie, three Chambers of Commerce.

The staff numbers at his business are not shown anywhere.

And that's it, the rest is just words without specifics.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/luca-bernardinetti-750b9654/?originalSubdomain=th

AKA... Another "Chancer" in Thailand... 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Not sure if they want foreign tax numbers but they do want you to have a Thai tax number if you are in Thailand longer than 6 months.

I've never seen a US SS Number but would bet the house that it's not going to work as a TIN in Thailand 🙂 

I have a TIN and know it's nothing like my UK NH number or Tax reference.... 

Edited by Mike Teavee

Just now, Mike Teavee said:

I've never seen a US SS Number but would bet the house that it's not going to work as a TIN in Thailand 🙂 

WTF are you talking about?  It's a Thai tax number.  Not a US SS #.  Is English not your first language?

Just now, shdmn said:

Once again, what part of "they do want you tp have a Thai tax number" did you not understand?

well I don't understand tp but then again I am English 

The guy posted he was going to use his US SS "TIN" number... I said (guessed) it wouldn't work 

Problem?