Moving homes and notifying immigration

I have just changed address but I'm still living in the same town.

Should I notify immigration immediately or can I wait until my visa extension is due, late July?

If the former: can it be done online too?

@MarcelV  Officially, you should  do it immediately but some immigration offices do not mind if it is done with the next 90-day report or the next extension of stay, whichever comes first. Best do it right away.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Do it now.

The homeowner should do it but Immigration will ultimately hold you responsible if they don't submit the TM30.

I have never had to submit a TM30 before. My immigration office never mentioned it.

Why would this suddenly change?

7 hours ago, Maestro said:

The householder, who in this case is the tenant, MarcelV, should do it.

I am not the owner of the new home. My partner is.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

I have never had to submit a TM30 before. My immigration office never mentioned it.

Why would this suddenly change?

Nothings changed, some offices just never previously enforced the law.

41 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

I am not the owner of the new home. My partner is.

In a private residence, it's the responsibility of the House Master, owner or possessor to file a TM30.

The House Master, by definition, means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, MarcelV said:

If the former: can it be done online too?

In theory it can, but in practice this would involve a convoluted process to set up which is probably not worth it for a one-off notification. You and your partner therefore need to visit your immigration office ASAP with a completed TM30 signed by your partner, plus originals and copies of their blue tabien baan housebook entry for the property in question, their ID card and, if available, any formal document proving the authenticity of your relationship.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Nothings changed, some offices just never previously enforced the law.

In a private residence, it's the responsibility of the House Master, owner or possessor to file a TM30.

The House Master, by definition, means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever.

Just out of sheer morbid curiosity. Let’s say someone goes on a camping trip. Maybe it’s kinda back country stuff. Leaves his province of residence. Is he supposed to tm30 the entire thing? 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Just out of sheer morbid curiosity. Let’s say someone goes on a camping trip. Maybe it’s kinda back country stuff. Leaves his province of residence. Is he supposed to tm30 the entire thing? 

You are only required to file a new TM30 if you move to a new 'permanent' place of residency.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, MarcelV said:

I am not the owner of the new home. My partner is

Ah, now things ate getting clearer.

Due to the scarcity of information in your opening post of this topic, I and, it seems also other readers, have made two mistakes:

1. I  assumed that you were renting the dwelling to which you are moving;

2. I assumed that you were enquiring about the legal requirement of the notification of the arrival of a foreigner at a dwelling to be made by the householder, possessor or owner of the dwelling, in this forum generally referred to as the TM.30 report or the TM.30 notification, for short.

I now ask you to ignore everything that I and others wrote about the TM.30 notification.

Going back to square one and looking at the information you have actually provided so far, ie "... just changed my address...", "should I notify immigration immediately", and "I am not the owner of the new home. My partner is", your question is about the notification of your change of address to a new address within the area of responsibility of the same immigration office where you currently live.

The deadline for complying with this legal requirement of notifying the immigration office of the change of address is the same regardless of whether or not the new address is within the area of responsibility of the same immigration office. I believe it is 24 hours but I am not sure. As not all immigration offices apply the rule in the same manner, you are best advised to contact the immigration office for guidance.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Maestro said:

. I believe it is 24 hours but I am not sure.

It is within 24 hours.

The immigration law does not differentiate between tourists and expats.

It is 'all foreigners'.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

It is within 24 hours.

Of arriving at said premises, of which Immigration has no idea other than what you tell them.

Just date it with the current date, and nobody is any the wiser.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, OJAS said:

In theory it can, but in practice this would involve a convoluted process to set up which is probably not worth it for a one-off notification. You and your partner therefore need to visit your immigration office ASAP with a completed TM30 signed by your partner, plus originals and copies of their blue tabien baan housebook entry for the property in question, their ID card and, if available, any formal document proving the authenticity of your relationship.

I did the TM30 online a few years ago. It wasn't that difficult. You do need access to the Blue Book (and possibly the Chanote, I can't exactly remember now) but since the OP says the house belongs to their Thai partner, that shouldn't be a problem, even if you do need both. 

Back when I did it, the whole thing was only in Thai. I was able to do it myself, using some advice from a thread on here, my fairly basic knowledge of written Thai, and Google Lens for the bits I couldn't figure out.

However now it's in Thai and English, so the process looks to be even easier than when I did it all those years ago.

Notification of Residence for Foreigners

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I did the TM30 online a few years ago. It wasn't that difficult. You do need access to the Blue Book (and possibly the Chanote, I can't exactly remember now) but since the OP says the house belongs to their Thai partner, that shouldn't be a problem, even if you do need both. 

Back when I did it, the whole thing was only in Thai. I was able to do it myself, using some advice from a thread on here, my fairly basic knowledge of written Thai, and Google Lens for the bits I couldn't figure out.

However now it's in Thai and English, so the process looks to be even easier than when I did it all those years ago.

Notification of Residence for Foreigners

Do I need to register my new address first?

5 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Of arriving at said premises, of which Immigration has no idea other than what you tell them.

Just date it with the current date, and nobody is any the wiser.

From the way I understand the OP, he has not yet moved to the new address.

3 hours ago, MarcelV said:

Section 37.2 or the Immigration Act requires you to notify immigration of your change. This is independent of the TM.30 notification under Section 38 by whoever is doing that notification. The immigration office has a special form for this.

immigration_act_b.e._2522.pdf

However, some immigration offices apparently no longer enforce this requirement, wherefore it is best for you to ask your immigration office how they handle this.

This is the form for aliens to notify their change of address:

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/simple-file-list2/form-download/1542264289117.pdf

As I mentioned, some, perhaps most, immigration offices no longer enforce notification with this form TM.27 and instead are satisfied with the notification of the arrival of the foreigner with the form TM.30 submitted by the householder of the premise to which you move.

1) TM-30:  IF you stay at a hotel on holiday,  the hotel is supposed to file a TM-30.

2) if you change address, you are required to have a TM-30 filed within 24 hours.

3) if you have foreign visitors STAYING with you, you should file a TM-30 within 24 hours.( Have done 3 times as POSSESSOR - backup is my rental agreement, I rent )

4) if you LEAVE the country, you ( mostly DEPENDING on LOCAL OFFICE policy )  file a TM-30 EVEN if returning to same address ( 1st hand knowledge )

5) MOST IMPORTANT, ALWAYS check with your LOCAL IO what THEIR POLICY is for ANY PAPERWORK it can be different for each office.

12 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

if you LEAVE the country, you ( mostly DEPENDING on LOCAL OFFICE policy )  file a TM-30 EVEN if returning to same address ( 1st hand knowledge )

Yes Korat another crackpot immigration office.

As posted posts in various threads indicate ..."depends on immigration office" 

12 hours ago, MarcelV said:

No need to waste a trip to Immigration.  I have same situation, wife owns our house.  You can first register at the link below.  One you input the address as owner in her name, you have to upload two documents (my wife signed hers but not sure this is necessary):

1) Copy of Blue HB main page and also the page with her name/ID

2) Copy of her ID card

https://tm30.immigration.go.th/tm30/#/external/security/register/reg-web

Once the residence address is accepted, which could be immediately, then you do your TM-30 report and print a PDF.  

I use my e-mail and have my own login for the account using wife's name.  That way if there are system updates you will get the e-mail and wife doesn't have to be bothered.  

Regards,

Edited by Expat4life66
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes Korat another crackpot immigration office.

As posted posts in various threads indicate ..."depends on immigration office" 

Yes, it does. Therefore it will always be best to recommend doing a TM 30 in that case as general information. That way, all will be on the safe side.

20 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Tell them nothing 

That is just a very stupid post.

20 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Here you are not at all updated about anything. If you still have the same permanent address and will move back to it after travelling around without leaving the country, you will not have to file any TM 30 in the places you are visiting.

• Haha 1

You need to do a TM30 report – the former TM28 form for that purpose is to my knowledge no longer used – or have it done by your lessor. Depending of where you live, your immigration office might not extend you stay (not visa), if your address is not the same as the TM30 registration – they might check with the database – where I stay an extension of stay will be denied until the TM30-registration fits the address in the extension-form.