Thailand and Laos are set to launch the Bangkok-Vientiane Railway later this month

webfact

3 hours ago, Deserted said:

What sort of train are they using?

For a change I would expect that the picture is related to the article?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, thaipo7 said:

Just for the fun of it I took the high speed line built by the Chinese that goes from Vientiane to the Chinese border.  I did not go the whole way.  I went to Luang Prabang in Laos.

How many hours did it take to get to Luang Prabang?

So where will the immigration check points be ? Just over the bridge or actually in Vientiane ?  Immigration officers could board the train as they used to on the Tran Siberian but TIT and I foresee a complete stuff up. the rail line already goes over the bridge it just need to join up with the Chinese one. No details on how long the train will take or stops on the way, or as I have already said passing through immigration checks. I doubt any of this has been even thought through TIT.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deserted said:

What sort of train are they using?

Likely old style locomotives not like the ones in the pictures.

I started out as a section man for a big canadian railway, then i became a conductor. No way in hell do i trust the tracks nir the trains/locomotives here

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Who on earth would want to stay long term in Lao?

Got trapped for 7 months in Vientiane by COVID. Not good.  Not the most interesting city on the planet although food was good & very very cheap.

2 hours ago, Spilornis said:

Excellent development.

I see it's roughly 600 kms between Bangkok and Vientiane. A journey time of around 4 hours would be a game changer.

The problem is that per km rail travel unsubsidised is generally more expensive than air travel. Will be interesting to see how tickets are priced

Nonsese....train tickets cost a fraction of flight tickets:coffee1:

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

Nonsese....train tickets cost a fraction of flight tickets:coffee1:

Have a look at the UK US or Australia where long distance train travel is not subsidized. They are often a factor of two or three times the price of a cheap discounted airfare. Railway maintenance isn't cheap.

In Malaysia Air Asia is often under the price of the train on the KL-Penang route and in Malaysia the price is subsidized.

Kolkata to Dhaka train is about the same as the airfare whereas a train within India is very cheap.

Someone pays in the end... the passenger or the taxpayer

Edited by Spilornis
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Spilornis said:

Have a look at the UK US or Australia where long distance train travel is not subsidized. They are often a factor of two or three times the price of a cheap discounted airfare. Railway maintenance isn't cheap.

In Malaysia Air Asia is often under the price of the train on the KL-Penang route and in Malaysia the price is subsidized.

Kolkata to Dhaka train is about the same as the airfare whereas a train within India is very cheap.

Someone pays in the end... the passenger or the taxpayer

But this is about THAILAND ! 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Who on earth would want to stay long term in Lao?

I've had two friends that have lived in Laos for long periods of time.  One moved there from Bangkok in the late 70's and stayed there until he passed away in 2015.  The other has been there about 8 years after living in Bangkok for 20 years.  Although I enjoy going to Laos I can't imagine myself living there.  

4 hours ago, Bobsuruncle said:

How many hours did it take to get to Luang Prabang?

Vientiane to Vang Vieng one hour. Vientiane to Luang Prabang two hours. 

Download the Lao China Railway app to buy digital QR code tickets.