Public encouraged to stay vigilant as COVID infections rises

snoop1130

I know of at least 3 people who have recently got covid.  So it is spreading a lot right now.  A friends Thai wife got it after going to a private hospital for a checkup. (they think that is where she may have been exposed but it could have been anywhere)  He now has it too. 

A close friend of ours that owns a restaurant has a nephew that lives with her.  Yesterday she told us he has covid.  He works in the local Tessaban office and most likely got exposed there.  I told her she has probably been exposed to it too then.  But she is in denial.  Which I guess may mean the wife and I have now been exposed to it also.  I guess we will find out in a few days.

Over a year ago the wife and I got covid from our niece while taking a vacation in Chiang Mai.  It wasn't that bad.  Like having a bad cold for a few days.

Edited by rwill
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Interesting that BP ran an article last week citing a virologist from Chulalongkorn University who said that boosters are no longer necessary for healthy people because the symptoms are generally mild. I've been saying for a very long time now. It's Omicron and Omicron is doing what Omicron does. It evolves. It evolves so it can infect people that have gained some natural immunity. This is called immune escape. People will gain natural immunity with this variant and then this variant will evolve immune escape. So it goes on. It cannot be stopped and it could never be stopped. Zero Covid 19 was a complete smokescreen and never attainable.

Yep same as 'Zero Flu' or 'Zero Head colds' or 'Zero Fever'...never attainable.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, connda said:

Sing to tune of Instant Karma:

Covid virus gonna get you,
it's hiding underneath your bed.
Better get your 49th booster,
otherwise you'll end up dead!

you got some inspiration? 😁🎈

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The COVID hospitalization numbers in Thailand have been rising long before the schools recently reopened, and even before Song Kran, dating back to mid-March... See the above detail by week.

thank goodness deaths have been dropping again. seems to be having less fatal effects. 

22 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

A few days ago I was amazed to watch a foreign bloke, masked up (N95, of course), eating a meal at a mid-Sukhumvit pub. Sitting outside. Did not remove mask, simply lifted the bottom enough to insert grub into gob and then back down again. Repeated until meal finished. Performance art? Mental illness? It appears some people are prisoners of an irrational fear.

Well, he knows what his risk factors are. He could have an comprised immune system. Although covid transmission outside is rare.

Something new I found out about covid. Covid could accelerate cancer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2024/06/06/covid-cancer-increase-link/

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I've been saying for a very long time now. It's Omicron and Omicron is doing what Omicron does.

totally agree with you.  

on a different, but similar note... a few years ago i argued with someone that burying the bird flu infected poultry was not the solution an that one day the virus would mutate and come back... i told this guy the only solution was fire. he ridiculed me. now, there are new strains coming out with a vengeance...

What is the latest strain of the bird flu?

It sounds like something out of a science fiction film but clade 2.3.4.4b, as the latest major strain of H5N1 bird flu circulating is known, is very real.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

A few days ago I was amazed to watch a foreign bloke, masked up (N95, of course), eating a meal at a mid-Sukhumvit pub. Sitting outside. Did not remove mask, simply lifted the bottom enough to insert grub into gob and then back down again. Repeated until meal finished. Performance art? Mental illness? It appears some people are prisoners of an irrational fear.

I still see plenty of Thais do that but haven't observed a foreigner/expat do that. 

• Like 1