I made a pretty big mistake at work.

Hey guys, I am here to open up about my recent mistake at work in Thailand. Long story short, I messed up a client's website. And now we are having trouble fixing it and reverting it. I felt very, very bad and sad. I really wish that I could have the power to fix it. Do you guys have any advice on how to cope with big mistakes? I appreciate all your help.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

Remember, you are just a human and human makes mistakes!! The important thing is to learn from that mistake and become better and tougher. Be kind to yourself. In the end, you only have yourself. So what if you make mistake, just don't keep blaming yourself.

• Love It 1

17 minutes ago, simon43 said:

You have trouble reverting it?  Did you make a copy of the original website before you messed it up?

sounds like no backup was made ...

seriously, don't do work for clients if you don't take precautions.

there is a civil liability !!

lucky if the client doesn't sue.

please, make full backups and use a local environment for any change/development of a client's live site.

I'm a professional website developer, contact me if needed.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, tgw said:

sounds like no backup was made ...

seriously, don't do work for clients if you don't take precautions.

there is a civil liability !!

lucky if the client doesn't sue.

please, make full backups and use a local environment for any change/development of a client's live site.

I'm a professional website developer, contact me if needed.

Thanks for your advice.

Coming clean, apologizing, and a bottle of Jack Daniels has helped smooth out some of my screwups over the years.  Still had to fix the issues, but it's soooo much easier when the customer isn't yelling at me.

Hopefully, someone here will chime in with a lesser known feature of Wordpress that autosaves a backup because this probably happens so often.

Edited by impulse
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Op, remember this

The true definition of an expert , is someone who made a lot of mistakes,  but learned from them.

Ps, Get over it and move on,  and up.

Edited by rocketboy2
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

59 minutes ago, MichaelJackson said:

Hey guys, I am here to open up about my recent mistake at work in Thailand. Long story short, I messed up a client's website. And now we are having trouble fixing it and reverting it. I felt very, very bad and sad. I really wish that I could have the power to fix it. Do you guys have any advice on how to cope with big mistakes? I appreciate all your help.

When you say a big mistake what did you do? If the mistake is in the coding I dont really understand why you would find it hard to correct the error.

Of course I would have assumed you would have tested it before passing it to the client.

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, Celsius said:

Maybe you should stick to singing and dancing

Thriller ?

To late now but always make a backup before messing with anything.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, MichaelJackson said:

Rule nr. 1: Make a backup before you start changing things.

• Love It 1

What's done is done ....  if it can't be fixed then it is what it is.  Don't think about it too much.

Just move on and forget it but learn from it ... 

The client's probably forgotten about it by now ....  so should you and move on.

Life is too short to dwell on a mistake.  

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Rule #2: Make sure that your backup will actually restore!

There's only one thing worse than having no backup, and that's having a backup that won't restore (ask me how I know) :whistling:

Rule #3: don't make the backup restore test on the running site !  use another virtual host or a local environment !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Very much doubt that.

well it depends if he got it fixed or whatever,  obviously he had to do something ...  maybe someone else redid the whole thing again. We don't know what happened after.

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

well it depends if he got it fixed or whatever,  obviously he had to do something ...  maybe someone else redid the whole thing again. We don't know what happened after.

He said that he couldn't fix it and others are having problems fixing it.

When they do finally fix it, either by themselves or hire an expert, the client might be ok after apologies. 

It all depends how much money the client is losing because of not having the website available for a certain time.

If you don't know that you should make a backup, you shouldn't touch anything to start with.

Edited by FritsSikkink

26 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

When you say a big mistake what did you do? If the mistake is in the coding I dont really understand why you would find it hard to correct the error.

Of course I would have assumed you would have tested it before passing it to the client.

I made a small change in the WordPress Settings in which I changed the URL of the Wordpress site by accident. Now I am trying to get it back.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, MichaelJackson said:

The front-end website is working fine.

6 minutes ago, MichaelJackson said:

I made a small change in the WordPress Settings in which I changed the URL of the Wordpress site by accident. Now I am trying to get it back.

You can often fix things like this by either directly editing the database, or changing an entry in a config file. Google "wordpress changed site url backend broken" and see what you find.