Possible Treatment for Parkinsons?

An article in the Daily Mail reports on recent research that shows there is a negative correlation between tetanus vaccination and the onset of Parkinson's. In other words, if you've gotten a tetanus vaccination recently, you're less likely to come down with Parkinson's disease.About 50% less likely. In fact, no one who was vaccinated within 2 years had come down with Parkinson's at all. New research is underway to see of those afflicted with Parkinson's can experience some amelioration if they are vaccinated for tetanus. Of course, correlation isn't the same thing as causation, but if you've got Parkinson's what have you got to lose by trying?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/parkinson-s-disease-could-be-treated-with-tetanus-jabs/ar-BB1nSDLE?ocid=BingNewsSearch

• Like 2

No references whatsoever to any scientific paper.  Research results released through the popular media.  For the moment to be taken with a very large pinch of sodium chloride.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, proton said:

Interesting but most people in the west always have been for the past few decades

Maybe in early childhood, but how many keep updated on it? In addition, as the article noted, those vaccinated within a couple of years reported no Parkinson's. Currently, the recommendation for a booster shot is once every 10 years.

Just now, placeholder said:

Maybe in early childhood, but how many keep updated on it? In addition, as the article noted, those vaccinated within a couple of years reported no Parkinson's. Currently, the recommendation for a booster shot is once every 10 years.

Its given with poiio and diphtheria, lasts 10 years, mine is due next year. Woman up the road died from tetanus last year scratch in the garden, nasty way to go.

2 minutes ago, proton said:

Its given with poiio and diphtheria, lasts 10 years, mine is due next year. Woman up the road died from tetanus last year scratch in the garden, nasty way to go.

It lasts 10 years as a vaccine against tetanus. But the study, which is preliminary, indicates that its effectiveness against Parkinsons is much greater if you've been vaccinated in the last 2 years.

"The researchers analysed the records of a large health provider in Israel to see if any kind of vaccines given in adulthood were linked with a raised or lower risk of Parkinson’s. They picked nearly 1500 people who had been diagnosed at between 45 and 75 years old, then compared them with a five-fold larger control group, selected to have similar characteristics as those with the condition.
They found that 1.6 per cent of people with Parkinson’s had a record of having the tetanus vaccine before their diagnosis, compared with 3.2 per cent of those without the condition. The protective effect was also bigger in those who had the vaccine more recently, with no one developing Parkinson’s within two years of being immunised."

https://archive.ph/FEg1d#selection-1009.0-1017.335

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

They found that 1.6 per cent of people with Parkinson’s had a record of having the tetanus vaccine before their diagnosis, compared with 3.2 per cent of those without the condition. The protective effect was also bigger in those who had the vaccine more recently, with no one developing Parkinson’s within two years of being immunised."

https://archive.ph/FEg1d#selection-1009.0-1017.335

The statistical benefit of a tetanus jab re Parkinson's seems very small, but I suppose still worthwhile if there are no detrimental effects of such a vaccination.

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I saw that article, I'll get another tetanus jab 2027.

Parkinson's is a slow torturous death so worth trying anything

Mate in the UK just got diagnosed with it, mental effects can be as bad as the physical ones

54 minutes ago, proton said:

Mate in the UK just got diagnosed with it, mental effects can be as bad as the physical ones

Yeah my Dad has it, a slow torturous death, if it was me i would end it before it gets too far

• Thumbs Up 1

I did not have any respect for big pharma before c19 and none during and after

parkinson , is that not your dopamine receptors dying ?

magical vaccine ? I think not

clinical trials gives outcomes the sponsor want

the medical journals are simply bought by the same

hard to believe that scientist or lab, if they find negative effects and dare to publish, will never work for big pharma ever again, same for those expensive publications in the journals

just my 2 satang off course

feel free to take a tetanus shot

just remember, if you are vaccinated and step in cow blob with rusted barb wire

you still need a fresh shot... so why bother...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, john donson said:

I did not have any respect for big pharma before c19 and none during and after

parkinson , is that not your dopamine receptors dying ?

magical vaccine ? I think not

clinical trials gives outcomes the sponsor want

the medical journals are simply bought by the same

hard to believe that scientist or lab, if they find negative effects and dare to publish, will never work for big pharma ever again, same for those expensive publications in the journals

just my 2 satang off course

feel free to take a tetanus shot

just remember, if you are vaccinated and step in cow blob with rusted barb wire

you still need a fresh shot... so why bother...

What a horrible nonsense....🤣🤣🤣 Amazing😂😂😂

There is a health forum specific rule against posting of news articles precisely so I don't have to come in and point out all the inaccuracies/limitations. Thread locked,

Correlation is not causation, and only rarely does a correllation prove to have the causative role sought.

Mass media often misrepresents medical articles and this particular one  -- which is still in pre-print status and has not yet been peer-reviews -- has been particularly mis-reported, wrongly describing tetanus  vaccine as a possible treatment for Parkinson's.  If anything,  it may prove to have a preventive role and even that is still far from proven.

(It behooves everyone to stay up to date on tetanus vaccines though, and especially the elderly whose protective titers may declined.