Ants in my kettle??!!

Sandboxer

More of a curiosity question than a rant/problem, but....

What is up with this? My bloody water kettle, in which I only ever boil water, will have a bunch of dead ants in it after every use. I don't leave leave any water in it after usage either (at most a coupla drops that will evaporate after a few minutes anyway). It's right next to my sink which, as sinks do, always has some wet spots/drops, so I don't think they'd make the effort to climb into the kettle as a source for drinking water.

WTF?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Fighting ants here is a daily occurrence, no matter how clean your house is kept. They can find the tiniest speck of food and home in on it. I keep the ant baits handy and use vinegar when I see a trail. It kills them and  cuts off the access trail. I also find them in the coffee pot, which is only used for water, and is less than a meter from the sink, so that is weird. I hear peppermint oil works also if you're not wanting to use traditional insecticides. I'll find a trail in the back next to the house, and use the ant baits. They bring it to the queen, and the mound dies. Then a few days later, I'll find another trail in the front, and repeat. Nothing much you can do but remove them as you find them, and try to keep your house as clean as possible. A mouse can get under a door or in a hole the size of a quarter, so imagine what an ant can do.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

OMG, they like to lay down their eggs in electric appliances and electronic equipment.

Those pesky Thai ants have damaged my favorite short-wave receiver in Thailand, the SONY ICF-7600D

Vintage Sony ICF-7600D, Sony ICF7600D, Sony, Sony Radio, Sony, Vintage Radio, Fully Working, Sony FM, Sw, Mw, Lw, Gift image 1

Crikey, my old man had one of these when I was back in school. 

Surely, that's more than 40 years old. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

OMG, they like to lay down their eggs in electric appliances and electronic equipment.

Those pesky Thai ants have damaged my favorite short-wave receiver in Thailand, the SONY ICF-7600D

Vintage Sony ICF-7600D, Sony ICF7600D, Sony, Sony Radio, Sony, Vintage Radio, Fully Working, Sony FM, Sw, Mw, Lw, Gift image 1

On a high floor in a modern condo our Internet stopped working properly, we were getting poor and intermittent signal... 

I opened up the router and it was full of those tiny ants which were shorting the electrics inside the router...  I've no idea why, but they were attracted to it, something to do with an emitted electrical frequency ? (no idea)....

But... Its not about food, cleanliness etc...    so the insults aimed at the Op are unwarranted as the ants also seem to be attracted to 'some' electrical items. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I also get ants in my clean kettle in my clean kitchen, especially during the hot season, because they need water in the same way we do. Just wash the drowned bodies out each day. I have more problems with jin joks. I've had two tvs damaged beyond practical repair when the things have fried themselves on the circuitry.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 1:31 PM, Sandboxer said:

More of a curiosity question than a rant/problem, but....

What is up with this? My bloody water kettle, in which I only ever boil water, will have a bunch of dead ants in it after every use. I don't leave leave any water in it after usage either (at most a coupla drops that will evaporate after a few minutes anyway). It's right next to my sink which, as sinks do, always has some wet spots/drops, so I don't think they'd make the effort to climb into the kettle as a source for drinking water.

WTF?

It's a common problem. The small black ones like a damp place and probably a nest nearby.

When we get it the wife puts a ring of ant chalk around the base of the kettle. they take that back to the nest and the problem goes away in a couple of days, until the next time.

Edited by sandyf
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

I had one of those in my globe-trotting days of the 1980s, mainly for the sports news from the UK. Great bit of kit for the pre internet/cell phone days.

• Like 1

Geckos going hungry ? 

I put a bit of jam on the counter within 5 mins is covered in ants, look a bit later 5 or 6 Geckos are having a good meal, put a plate in the sink same within mins full of ants then Geckos . some Geckos are a bit small so have to help them out of the sink after they have eaten the ants..

Built this house 20 years ago, find it odd it is only in the Kitchen, Ants, Rats and woodworm a plenty, never seen in main house.. Geckos and Lizards are fine

• Like 1