Pastor Robert Morris Resigns from Gateway Church Amid Child Sex Abuse Allegations

Social Media

image.png.665d660cadad75e06342fcb0ef689668.png

The Texas pastor had been on Trump's "spiritual advisory committee."

Pastor Robert Morris, a prominent figure in the evangelical community and the senior pastor of Gateway Church in Southlake, Texas, has resigned following a grave admission of child sex abuse. Morris's resignation came three days after he confessed to engaging in "sexual behavior" with a child during the 1980s.

The board of elders at Gateway Church announced Morris’s resignation on Tuesday in a statement to NBC News. They revealed that Morris had admitted to the inappropriate sexual behavior with a young girl, a revelation that has shocked the church community and beyond. 

"The elders’ prior understanding was that Morris’s extramarital relationship, which he had discussed many times throughout his ministry, was with 'a young lady' and not abuse of a 12-year-old child," the church leaders stated. They emphasized that they were unaware of the victim's age or the prolonged nature of the abuse until recently. "Even though it occurred many years before Gateway was established, as leaders of the church, we regret that we did not have the information that we now have."

To ensure a thorough understanding of the allegations, Gateway Church has enlisted the law firm Haynes & Boone to conduct an independent review. This step aims to provide a complete and transparent account of the events surrounding the abuse allegations.

Morris, who previously served on President Donald Trump’s spiritual advisory committee, has long spoken to his congregation about a "moral failure" involving sexual sin during his early years as a minister. However, the full extent of his actions was not known until now.

240617-robert-morris-gateway-donald-trump-DIGITIAL-ONLY-mn-0945-36c0ee.jpg

Cindy Clemishire, now 54, disclosed in a post on the church watchdog site The Wartburg Watch that she was 12 when Morris first sexually abused her in 1982. According to Clemishire, the abuse continued for more than four years. She told NBC News on Monday that the abuse began when she was a child, casting a new and disturbing light on Morris's past confessions of moral failure.

In response to Clemishire's allegations, Gateway Church and Morris issued statements on Friday and Saturday acknowledging that Morris had engaged in "sexual behavior with a young lady." They claimed the "sin was dealt with correctly by confession and repentance," but this response has not satisfied all parties involved.

Clemishire expressed mixed feelings about Morris's resignation in a statement released on Tuesday. "Though I am grateful that he is no longer a pastor at Gateway, I am disappointed that the Board of Elders allowed him to resign," she said. "He should have been terminated." Clemishire added that she had repeatedly disclosed the abuse to church leaders and pastors, including those at Gateway, but it was only after she spoke out publicly that any action was taken.

The revelation has not only rocked Gateway Church but has also prompted broader discussions about accountability and transparency within religious institutions. The independent review by Haynes & Boone is expected to shed more light on the extent of the abuse and the church's handling of the situation.

Credit: NBC 2024-06-20

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

"In response to Clemishire's allegations, Gateway Church and Morris issued statements on Friday and Saturday acknowledging that Morris had engaged in "sexual behavior with a young lady." They claimed the "sin was dealt with correctly by confession and repentance,""

They should have reported him to the police so he could be jailed for a very long time.

"a young lady" a 12 year old is a child, bunch of morally corrupt lowlifes. 

and a satisfying payout to the 'young lady' for her silence

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

All the cheerleaders for Christianity ought to take note.

Christianity is a "broad church" - paronomasia intended. To extend the sordid little foibles of this fellow, unordained in any conventional sense, across the entire religion is something of a stretch!

• Like 1

great people with a great reputation... i have to say that....now lead us in prayer. 

shocker more rich people caught in pedo garbage. in the last 2 months in canada 2 billionaires have been brought up on charges. both involved children.

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Christianity is a "broad church" - paronomasia intended. To extend the sordid little foibles of this fellow, unordained in any conventional sense, across the entire religion is something of a stretch!

Every denomination has these and nearly very denomination has one that has been exposed.

You are adorable, thinking ordained ministers are less likely to be predators.

IMHO, part of the problem is that because Christians revere these creeps they say things like "the Pastor overstepped the bounds of propriety" instead of "the Pastor had sex with" or sometimes "the Pastor raped" that child.

So the reality of what they do on a regular basis is masked.

It's not a stretch, it happens in all denominations.

Edited by cdemundo

4 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

that can't be good for their business 

Brain-trashed cult members just deny and ignore. Think Christians, Muslims snd Trumpster cult morons. 

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

So it happened 40 years ago.  And the guy was one of 25 people on Trump's "Spiritual Guidance Committee"

And it all comes to light a few months before the election, with photos connecting him to Trump.

Coincidence?  I think not.

https://archive.thinkprogress.org/meet-donald-trumps-new-evangelical-advisory-board-6a5bfc5460d7/

Should we take it you don’t find the allegations serious?

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Should we take it you don’t find the allegations serious?

I have no doubt it happened, Trump knew nothing about it, and next week Fox will have videos of Biden cavorting with KKK members back in the day.  (If Lara Trump is on the ball, and I think she is)

6 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Every denomination has these and nearly very denomination has one that has been exposed.

You are adorable, thinking ordained ministers are less likely to be predators.

IMHO, part of the problem is that because Christians revere these creeps they say things like "the Pastor overstepped the bounds of propriety" instead of "the Pastor had sex with" or sometimes "the Pastor raped" that child.

So the reality of what they do on a regular basis is masked.

It's not a stretch, it happens in all denominations.

I don't deny it happens in "all denominations". But to tar the entire Christian faith with the same broad brush, and hold it up as a principal feature of those faiths, is a stretch. More formal ordination requires significant periods in training, with considerable religious and personal formation, and rigorous assessment. That makes it less likely that undesirable " dodgy" individuals will slip through and become clergy. Not guaranteed but less likely. 

"Pastors" such as this fellow are largely self qualified and self appointed, and their churches, which largely rate or judge them by their ability to raise funds, are largely unregulated.

I am at a loss as to why my views, which I think I have expressed succinctly and cogently make me "adorable"!

Oddly enough this is the second time I have posted this reply - the first post some three hours ago simply disappeared - I can't imagine why!

Edited by herfiehandbag

2 hours ago, impulse said:

I have no doubt it happened, Trump knew nothing about it, and next week Fox will have videos of Biden cavorting with KKK members back in the day.  (If Lara Trump is on the ball, and I think she is)

It happened, the pedophile Pastor Robert Morris has admitted it happened.

Your predictions for the future do not change the past behavior of the Pervert pastor.

All the best people!

14 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Those Republicans especially nut-case MTG should now re-direct their false pedophilla claims to attack Democrats and LGBTQ to their own people. GOP now has many more notable and recent scandals involcing sexual abuse of minors and young students, Names like Florida Rep. Mark Foley, Rep Dennis Hastert, Roy Moore, Matt Gaetz and leader of the sex scandal Donald J Trump who boasted that he walked into backstage dressing rooms in the 1997 Miss Teens USA pageant as they were changing and allegedly said "Don't worry ladies, I've seen it all before". 

Same on AN. No MAGA fan complaining about grooming kids when it really happens..... 😀

7 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I don't deny it happens in "all denominations". But to tar the entire Christian faith with the same broad brush, and hold it up as a principal feature of those faiths, is a stretch. More formal ordination requires significant periods in training, with considerable religious and personal formation, and rigorous assessment. That makes it less likely that undesirable " dodgy" individuals will slip through and become clergy. Not guaranteed but less likely. 

"Pastors" such as this fellow are largely self qualified and self appointed, and their churches, which largely rate or judge them by their ability to raise funds, are largely unregulated.

I am at a loss as to why my views, which I think I have expressed succinctly and cogently make me "adorable"!

Oddly enough this is the second time I have posted this reply - the first post some three hours ago simply disappeared - I can't imagine why!

"More formal ordination requires significant periods in training, with considerable religious and personal formation, and rigorous assessment. That makes it less likely that undesirable " dodgy" individuals will slip through and become clergy. "

Right.

Almost foolproof.

Witness the international experience of sexual abuse by ordained Catholic priests.

This involved hundreds of individuals who "slipped through and became clergy".

I didn't "tar the entire Christian faith with the same broad brush, and hold it up as a principal feature of those faiths."

You extrapolated that from what I said.

Why those ideas entered your mind you are best qualified to answer.

I just said "Christians take note" as I believe that Christian believers bear some responsibility when their leaders act like this.

You describe the actions of this pastor as "the sordid little foibles of this fellow".

Just to be clear, a foible is defined as a "minor weakness or eccentricity in someone's character".

As I said previously, Christians like to minimize these offenses because they revere their leaders.

I doubt many people consider the sexual abuse of a 12 year old girl to be a "foible" as you do.

Maybe Christians should take up the slogan of some national security programs: "If you see something, say something" as these people are not invisible.

Edited by cdemundo

10 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It happened, the pedophile Pastor Robert Morris has admitted it happened.

Your predictions for the future do not change the past behavior of the Pervert pastor.

All the best people!

That's why I said.  I have not doubt that it happened.  Read what I wrote.  Not what you wish I wrote.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

That's why I said.  I have not doubt that it happened.  Read what I wrote.  Not what you wish I wrote.

i found it rather strange as well. i have no doubt it happened = it happened. then go on to say it happened. 

uhhhh what ? 

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

You missed my point which is an observation of your juxtaposition of what did happen with something you assert might happen in the future.

8 minutes ago, stoner said:

i found it rather strange as well. i have no doubt it happened = it happened. then go on to say it happened. 

uhhhh what ? 

They get a little excited when they think they see red meat.