Bangkok monk faces backlash for flaunting lavish lifestyle

webfact

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

In Europe in the middle ages Catholic priests sold plenary indulgences to reduce your sins so that your punishments would be reduced on judgement day, I think that is the same mode of thinking here. I think that the vast numbers of monks take their vows seriously but one only hears of the black sheep. Buddhism in Thailand is a branch of its own, the teachings are mixed with animism and superstition probably to match the hedonistic mentality of the Thais, my wife says that the true teachings of Buddha are taught at the temple services but I rather think they go over the heads of the village people where fear of black magic still reigns.

Sure, there are the good monks and the greedy monks, and, as you say, in Thailand there are a lot of other things mixed in.

My point was and is that even with a rudimentary understanding of Buddhism it is obvious that getting rich and living in luxury is not part of Buddhism. Anybody who willingly supports monks who are rich and/or live in luxury supports whatever, but not Buddhism.

4 hours ago, Wayne G said:

Ha no different to the extravagant trappings that the Pope and his band of muppets live a joke 😡😡

Can not but agree:-

"Bankers' best guesses about the Vatican's wealth put it at $10 billion to $15 billion. Of this wealth, Italian stockholdings alone run to $1.6 billion, 15% of the value of listed shares on the Italian market. The Vatican has big investments in banking, insurance, chemicals, steel, construction, real estate."

"Currently, Pope Francis is worth an estimated $16 million due to all the assets he enjoys from his position as the pope of the catholic church. He has 5 cars at his disposal, and we can also count his income as part of his net worth."

4 hours ago, Wayne G said:

Ha no different to the extravagant trappings that the Pope and his band of muppets live a joke 😡😡

So true, look at any religious con, and you can smell the money from afar. 

• Agree 1

Monks are public figures. They receive donations, often from people of low income to pursue their holy order. They have no right to privacy on how they spend donations or how they pursue a lavish lifestyle when the dictates of their faith are the opposite of what they do.  He should be defrocked and investigated for embezzlement 

Edited by RobU
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, loong said:

As far as I know, monks do not receive personal donations. They are not supposed to handle money at all, and donations are for the temple, not the monk. He should be investigated to find out how he is so wealthy.

He isn't wealthy he used a credit card to buy the bracelet. Being wealthy means cash.

They need to dig deeper , like who did he buy  a diamond bracelet worth 185,000 baht.

for ,not for himself , unless he likes shiny things ....

regards worgeordie

The Sangha seemingly has no teeth to reprimand this errant monk. A sad indictment of an off the rails monk succumbing to want and a spirit of greed that flies in the face of Buddhist values.

6 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Hey look reporting but nobody quoted and only explaining reactions on social media. Reporters are supposed to interview people

Even if they are interviewed, they never ask leading questions, especially to the PM, simply put to forking scared.  

6 hours ago, soalbundy said:

In Europe in the middle ages Catholic priests sold plenary indulgences to reduce your sins so that your punishments would be reduced on judgement day, I think that is the same mode of thinking here. I think that the vast numbers of monks take their vows seriously but one only hears of the black sheep. Buddhism in Thailand is a branch of its own, the teachings are mixed with animism and superstition probably to match the hedonistic mentality of the Thais, my wife says that the true teachings of Buddha are taught at the temple services but I rather think they go over the heads of the village people where fear of black magic still reigns.

Yes 

We are in a country where people remove tail lights on bikes so evil spirits can't follow them home. 

And you don't whistle at night in case spirits are summoned. 

(Not the drinking type).

He could always use the excuse that these items were given by his followers following there demise that excuse seemed to work for a high ranking general who was in the previous government 

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This kind of thing is hardly unusual, and demonstrates again how gullible Thais are. A report last year said they are the most open in SE Asia to scams due to their childlike naivety. Yet, despite these reports, they still donate food and money and other goods, work for free in the temples and so on. Thai Buddhism is too often just another scam.

And what have the Buddhism authorities had to say? Did anyone ask?

"...childlike naivety..."

Example, Thai lady neighbor, qualified lawyer but never sat for the bar exams and has never practised law. She asked my son to join her that evening to hear a presentation about massive wealth creation 50% a month or similar. 

She mentioned to my son "I don't think there's anything illegal because it's in Chiang Mai and CM people don't ever do things like that.

My son refused to attend. Six or eight months later she asked my son to help her regain the several million Baht investment she had made, she got a promise that she would get 1% return on investment at the end of the first month but nothing happened. She waited but of more recent times discovered that the person she had transferred the several million Baht to had disappeared. 

End of story - she asked my son to be a good neighbor and give her half of the money she had lost.

Son totally refused to discuss it with her, they have never spoken since. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Wayne G said:

But they aren't Buddhists.  Not earning money and having no attachments or desires are a central part of being a Buddhist monk.  They basically have to live like a monk.

10 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

I'd be willing to bet the temples make the most money from wealthy corruptors who donate to make merit

Especially the wealthy who build new temples and ensure their family name is ip front and centre in very big signage. 

Thai friend pointed this out to me as we were driving past a new temple, and also pointed to the high value big parking garage to the side, with family name in big letters, garage big enough to house 4 or 5 big luxury cars.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/20/2024 at 12:23 AM, Bert got kinky said:

How much money does a temple secretary earn?

I understand that monks do receive donations but some of these 'famous' monks seem to have enough of a fortune in their coffers to offer them a very lavish lifestyle.

Also, why do these opulent monks need diamond bracelets, Gucci/Christian Dior bags, designer watches, etc?

Despite the backlash, some argue that the monk’s expenditures should not be subjected to public scrutiny. They contend that everyone, including monks, has the right to privacy and personal choice.

If you want privacy, don't post your life on Facebook.

As far as I know, Monks don't get paid, period.  I would be surprised if the Head Patriarch even got paid.  

I see them in the computer stores in Chiang Mai purchasing phones and laptops that I can't even afford.

It's just a shame that they don't use this technology to book appointments at Immigration Offices !!

Buddhism, biggest scam on the planet, all about the money , you can not even breath with out having to pay , or as they call it , donate, the second you walk through them temple gates..

seems buddha will only bless you if you give money or food for the fat monks , who do nothing all day .. 

On 6/21/2024 at 6:27 AM, recom273 said:

the wife was saying something about this the other week - apparently they shouldn’t have the money to spend now, but should someone give them money, for example if they gave good advice, to make merit directly to the monk or the correct lottery numbers then they can amass that for a time when they leave the clergy. Seems a bit skewed to me, religion is a business in a lot of places in the world. 

I asked my Thai adult son about the above (son takes his kids to temple once a month. He's found several temples in / around Chiang Mai where there are proper monks who will sit with children and explain the teachings for 30 minutes. Son tells the monk I

'I have put a donation in the temple donation box' and he does, usually 100Baht.

I mention the post about monks amassing money for the future. He went to see his childhood buddy who became an ordained monk on leaving school and is still at the same large temple teaching kids Prathom 1, 2, and 3 in the school inside his temple.

Son's monk friend responded that there is no regulation or anything similar allowing / encouraging amassing of funds for the future. But also mentioned that local fake 'versions' of the rules abound.

On 6/20/2024 at 5:23 PM, Bert got kinky said:

How much money does a temple secretary earn?

I understand that monks do receive donations but some of these 'famous' monks seem to have enough of a fortune in their coffers to offer them a very lavish lifestyle.

Also, why do these opulent monks need diamond bracelets, Gucci/Christian Dior bags, designer watches, etc?

Despite the backlash, some argue that the monk’s expenditures should not be subjected to public scrutiny. They contend that everyone, including monks, has the right to privacy and personal choice.

If you want privacy, don't post your life on Facebook.

There must be millions of Bhat in those collection boxes at the main tourist attraction temples, costs a lot to maintain them, I think basically the monks do a great job, some might wonder off the road but very few. 

On 6/21/2024 at 6:59 AM, soalbundy said:

Indulgences still exist and can still be obtained for cash. In 2000 cash could still get you an indulgence.