Thailand’s carbon tax: Battling climate change, but at what cost?

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand is set to become the second country in Southeast Asia to impose a carbon tax, a move seen by many as crucial to securing a sustainable future.

“We plan to start collecting carbon tax later this year, probably from around October,” Ekniti Nitithanprapas, director-general of the Excise Department, said earlier this month.

The carbon tax will initially be imposed on oil products since they are a direct and major source of greenhouse gas emissions. Thailand currently emits 372 million tonnes of greenhouse gases per year, with 70% generated by the transport and energy industries alone.

One litre of diesel emits about 2.7 kilograms of carbon, while a litre of petrol emits 2.18 kilos. The Excise Department plans to collect 200 baht per tonne of carbon emitted by these fuels.

“We can start collecting carbon tax by amending a ministerial regulation,” Ekniti explained.

If the Excise Department receives approval from the Cabinet, the plan can proceed without the need for long-winded deliberations in Parliament, he added.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-06-22

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I guess part of it are all those hysterical climate activists from all over the world.

Now Thailand can say: Here, look, we do something.

And at least some of those international activists, and the politicians who support them, will be happy.

736b615ce2a940218c58b48749602873

Edited by OneMoreFarang

Just as in the West this does nothing to tackle climate change. 

It's just an excuse for governments to appear virtuous as they take more money from citizens via "green" taxes.

If MP's wanted to do some good they'd stop the crop burning and manage vehicle emissions from 40 year old buses and trucks but that doesn't generate huge money that can be siphoned off to pay for their kids Ferraris. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

17 hours ago, kimamey said:

I was confused about that as well, so I looked it up. It seems its down to carbon, which is light combining with oxygen. They've also said carbon rather than carbon dioxide. So they are wrong but only because they confused the two.

https://www.driverknowledgetests.com/resources/why-does-burning-1-litre-of-fuel-create-over-2kg-of-carbon-dioxide/

I am not confused ,one can't get more carbon out of 1 Litre then what's in there that's impossible .

To me it sounds like the ultimate scam. trying to tell us  (Make us Believe ) that it is possible .

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

how about enforceable levels of air con in malls, theaters, offices etc that are comfortable and not like walk in freezers? That would save vast amounts of energy. How many of us can go to see a movie without dressing like it is ice station zebra?

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, digger70 said:

I am not confused ,one can't get more carbon out of 1 Litre then what's in there that's impossible .

To me it sounds like the ultimate scam. trying to tell us  (Make us Believe ) that it is possible .

Either you didn't read the article or your reading comprehension is very poor.  The explanation in the article is accurate and stated very clearly.

Come one... .. fess up.... you just blasted out an opinion you formed without any knowledge.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, digger70 said:

I guess you didn't do chemistry at school?

The diesel fuel combines with oxygen from the air - so increasing the weight.

But the 'carbon tax' is still a scam to raise more submarine engine funds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/22/2024 at 3:14 PM, digger70 said:

How in Satans Name they get 2.7KG of carbon from 1 Litre of Diesel when the 1 Litre of diesel only weigh 0.84 KG 

MW of diesel = 15-200 g/mol. Because 4 moles of diesel produce 44 moles of CO2. The atomic mass of oxygen is 16 AMU. Do the math.

Your question shows clearly that you don't understand the chemistry or science of diesel combustion.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, sidneybear said:

One litre of diesel weighs around 0.85 kilos, so how can it emit 2.7 kilos of carbon? Simple laws of physics never get in the way of green zealots. 

See my answer above. Never let math and science get in the way of the ignorant.

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2024 at 3:14 PM, digger70 said:

Thailand’s carbon tax 

Ultimate Money scam from the Excise DepartmentI. 

I like to ask those Scammers How in Satans Name they get 2.7KG of carbon from 1 Litre of Diesel when the 1 Litre of diesel only weigh 0.84 KG    

When a vehicle consumes one litre of gasoline, it emits about 2.37 kilograms of CO2. If diesel has been refuelled, it is 2.65 kilograms of CO2. This may seem confusing, but in the end everything goes back to chemistry. Gasoline is a mixture and consists of many hydrocarbon chains. When driving, the gasoline in the engine is burned and the carbon (C) reacts with the oxygen (O2) from the air. One atom at a time combines with two oxygen atoms to form a carbon dioxide molecule (CO2). Simply put, light hydrogen atoms (atomic mass 1) from the hydrocarbons are exchanged for heavier oxygen atoms (atomic mass 16). The hydrogen atoms (H) in turn combine with oxygen to form water (H2O). The different CO2 emissions of gasoline and diesel are also explained by the chemistry: Gasoline contains slightly less carbon than diesel, and so it binds less oxygen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, patman30 said:

so they want to add a 50 satang per litre tax
and we can expect to see a 5 baht increase per litre at the pump

Sounds right.  And that will increase inflation as almost everything we buy is hauled by diesel trucks.

Food inflation will be amplified as farming also needs diesel even before the products are transported.

But if it helps to buy another submarine or luxury watch, all's well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

With Thailand accounting for less than half a percent of world GDP, assuming that correlates to carbon output, cutting back 100% on Thailand's carbon output won't make a dent in the problem. 

But poorly conceived tax programs could completely destroy the Thai economy.  Hardly seems worth it.  It's one of those issues where Thailand should dodge the WEF (and Greta's) bullet.

If they want to tax anything, tax the burning off of farm fields.  Flying into Thailand quite a few times this year, it's atrocious that it's allowed to happen.  I quit counting after 200 fires, with smoke from each of them covering hundreds of sq km.  Of course, Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos won't stop, but at least Thai people may breathe a little easier.

Oops.  Here's my link:  https://www.worldometers.info/gdp/gdp-by-country/

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

A tax will do nothing for the climate. It will make people poorer though.

Ask Australia how its carbon tax helped anything.

It hasn't helped anything, because Australia does not have a carbon tax.

There's an implicit form of carbon pricing in fuel excise tax, which covers diesel and petrol. LPG is taxed at a significantly lower rate. There is no such tax on carbon derived from coal or natural gas.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I guess you didn't do chemistry at school?

The diesel fuel combines with oxygen from the air - so increasing the weight.

But the 'carbon tax' is still a scam to raise more submarine engine funds.

Yea your right In my day's at school there was  No Chemistry.

I done my 4 yrs  Electric study and and after that some more yrs Night schooling while working as an apprentice to get all my Diplomas. 

I still don't believe that  the increase the weight. is right .

I have to See that done to prove that's right. 

Never mind chemistry,  that's like religion that's got to be proven before one can believe  And I Don't believe in Religion .

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Peabody said:

MW of diesel = 15-200 g/mol. Because 4 moles of diesel produce 44 moles of CO2. The atomic mass of oxygen is 16 AMU. Do the math.

Your question shows clearly that you don't understand the chemistry or science of diesel combustion.

That's ok Thank you.

Now We have you to explain all this haven't we.

13 hours ago, gamb00ler said:
}}s very poor.  The explanation in the article is accurate and stated very clearly.

Come one... .. fess up.... you just blasted out an opinion you formed without any knowledge.

Maybe yes ,Maybe Not.

I like to see this done  to see if it's real .

One can't believe  something  because someone says  that this is right.

Just some numbers on a page  ain't gonna do it for me.

I like to See Facts  Thank you.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Peabody said:

See my answer above. Never let math and science get in the way of the ignorant.

You're including the mass of the oxygen that combines with the carbon in diesel to form CO2. Since matter can't be created, it's true that it's impossible to synthesise 2.7 kg of *carbon* from 0.85 kg of diesel.

What was that you were saying about maths, science, and ignorance?

2 hours ago, sidneybear said:

You're including the mass of the oxygen that combines with the carbon in diesel to form CO2. Since matter can't be created, it's true that it's impossible to synthesise 2.7 kg of *carbon* from 0.85 kg of diesel.

What was that you were saying about maths, science, and ignorance?

Carbon is a solid. When scientists talk about "carbon" in the atmosphere, they are referring to CH4, CO and CO2.

Go back to school, then try to rejoin a science-based topic.