New rules for buying a motorcycle?

anyone

14 hours ago, PremiumLane said:
On 6/25/2024 at 3:35 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Thats why they ask for the proof of address / work permit documents etc...  But realistically, thats not need as you can easily register the vehicle yourself if you so wish - you'll then need those documents.

A dealer isn't going to let you take the bike out of the showroom without the paper work being put in for it to be registered - they would be nuts to just let you walk out without the registration process started. 

Guess they are nuts then - because thats exactly what I did...   (both cars and bikes).

I've dropped a deposit and copy of my ID (Passport).

Picked up the car / or bike, leaving the outstanding balance. 

Received the 'insurance' in my name (as per ID - First year Free insurance deal)

I've then driven or ridden away with Sale Documents (which include chassis number etc).

The dealer knew I'd register the bike / car myself. 

I then visited DLT at my convenience - showing proof of address (Affirmation of Address from Embassy or later on my Yellow House Book and ID (Passport ID Page). 

I then selected the Registration Number (chose a couple in preference just in case one had already been taken etc).

At another desk was then given a stamped slip of paper (with the new reg number)

I returned the Slip of Paper to the dealership who then call you when the plates are ready (which can take anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks).

If leaving the dealer to go through the registration process themselves, they can often take months which is why I just do it myself. 

------

One dealer was a bit of a headache initially - they tried to tell me I couldn't register the car in my own name without a work permit, so I should put it in my Wife's name as that would be easier. 

I had to tell them to just get the car ready on time and I'll pick it up and deal with the registration process myself - they were reluctant as I don't think they understood the process for a foreigner - a manager got involved he also wasn't sure, but I assured him I've done this 'my way' several times and work permit is not required, I just show proof of address to the DLT which is sufficient for registration of the vehicle in my name. 

I suspect they are just concerned that they may get some 'flack' from a customer who is unable to register a vehicle in their own name for whatever reason so attempt to 'fit in with legacy regulations' to avoid possible hassle - but these are not rules. 

Edited by richard_smith237

16 hours ago, anyone said:
17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

By going to the DLT & doing it yourself.

You’ll still need one of…

A) Certificate Of Address (from immigration)

B) Affirmation Of Address (from Embassy)

C) Work Permit (only if it contains your address)

D) Yellow House Book (registered to you)

Expand  

A & B are on my pink card and driving license.

If you still need to confirm the address, it doesn’t matter where to go - directly to the dealer or to the DLT.

Your Driving License is not considered Proof of Address for the purposes of purchasing a vehicle. 

Neither is your Pink ID... But, as you have a Pink ID, you will also have a Yellow House Book, and that is accepted as Proof of Address when registering your vehicle at the DLT (a dealership should also accept the Yellow House Book as Proof of Address)

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

No, it isn't, it is very easy - passport, visa, proof of address - you register the bike. Like any other country 

Agree... its incredibly easy, however, visa type is irrelevant - You can own a vehicle with any visa - I don't recall having to show my visa when purchasing cars of bikes...  But I did have to show ID, that was just for the Proof of Sale. 

Registering the Visa in your name is where the Proof of Address comes into it...  There is sometimes an overlap between being able to obtain proof of address and which visa you are holding. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
13 hours ago, transam said:

I have bought rides with a yellow book as proof of residence...........:coffee1:

Per the op it appears unreliable 

Per the op - for some reason he's being given the run around with a request for a lot of completely unnecessary documentation. 

Per many others, myself included... the Yellow Hose Book works exactly as it should as Proof of Address (Residence) when registering a vehicle in your own name  - No issues whatsoever with my last couple of bikes and cars. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
13 hours ago, transam said:

I have bought rides with a yellow book as proof of residence...........:coffee1:

Per the op it appears unreliable 

Per the Op... You are wrong !!.. 

He showed his Yellow House Book as proof of address, as this is all thats required - no visas, nothing else is required. 

13 hours ago, anyone said:

In the end I bought it after showing the yellow book. That's the end of the story 😏

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:
13 hours ago, anyone said:

In the end I bought it after showing the yellow book. That's the end of the story 😏

How can it be the end of the story? 

You said above that you couldn't buy it. 

On 6/25/2024 at 5:49 PM, anyone said:

I was going to buy a small Honda scooter today with cash, but I couldn't

Why did you change your story? 

Did you buy it or not

Looks like just another fake thread. 

OP says he can't buy to get all our attention, then says he did buy. 

8 hours ago, bob smith said:
12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Have you ever even bought a car or motorcycle in your own name ?????

Yes.

And it was anything but straight forward!

bob.

To place your comment within a better context... 

.... Bob, you make most things complicated....  for what is a simple every day occurrence for most of us turns into an issue for you.

The Op has already responded that all he had to do was provide his Yellow House Book - thats it.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Looks like just another fake thread. 

OP says he can't buy to get all our attention, then says he did buy. 

Looks legit.. .

Tuesday afternoon - Op wrote that he couldn't purchase a motorbike as they wanted so much documentation. 

Weds evening - Op posted that he used his yellow book...   thus, Op has clearly gone back to a shop the following day with his Yellow House Book and secured a purchase. 

Not a tricky one to work out....   defo not the appearance of a fake thread, although I understand the suspicious as this forum seems now to be getting full of them... 

....  or we've had a massive influx of trollish muppets (Which arrangement will provide you more sex in Thailand? / Are full body massages worth the money? / How do you deal with connotations and assumptions you're a sex tourist?

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Looks legit.. .

Tuesday afternoon - Op wrote that he couldn't purchase a motorbike as they wanted so much documentation. 

Weds evening - Op posted that he used his yellow book...   thus, Op has clearly gone back to a shop the following day with his Yellow House Book and secured a purchase. 

Not a tricky one to work out....   defo not the appearance of a fake thread, although I understand the suspicious as this forum seems now to be getting full of them... 

Yes, you are probably right, I just thought it was a phoney as he said he tried his pink ID card (assuming he had yellow book) without success. Then he disappears, saying story closed.

Anyway good luck to him if he purchased the bike

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes, these are weird. 

1 minute ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, you are probably right, I just thought it was a phoney as he said he tried his pink ID card (assuming he had yellow book) without success. Then he disappears, saying story closed.

I think you misread it - bought it after showing the yellow book.....

On 6/26/2024 at 8:59 AM, anyone said:

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think you misread it - bought it after showing the yellow book....

Point #3, he says... 

3. Сonfirmation of residential address from the embassy (My pink card and driver's license already have the address confirmed but they want it a third time

So I assumed he had his yellow book day 1. 

No problem, thanks for your clarification 👍

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

9 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Point #3, he says... 

3. Сonfirmation of residential address from the embassy (My pink card and driver's license already have the address confirmed but they want it a third time

So I assumed he had his yellow book day 1. 

No problem, thanks for your clarification 👍

The Pink ID / Yellow House Book thingy is an odd one...   essentially they're they same information. 

At the DLT for the Driving License, I don't recall them being that bothered about the Yellow House Book, but took copies of the Pink ID... Whereas at the DLT when registering vehicles they wanted the Yellow House Book... 

I've long since given up trying to figure out Thailand and the requirements - I've often attempted a process expecting a bureaucratic nightmare only to find efficient simplicity, conversely, I've often attempt to quickly carry out a process which for inexplicable reasons snowballs into bureaucratic marathon - without rhyme or reason it often depends upon the specific person we are dealing with at the time. 

Obtaining the legal Marriage documentation for example:  Nipped down to the local Amphur with the Wife, expecting a simple process (had all the documentation), and faced a complete 'no-go' - recognising the officer was being particularly awkward we nipped to the next Amphur office and were in and out in the blinking of an eye....

Usually though - the DLT is one of the more consistent places to carry out dealings....    but as far as individual businesses go, they'll make up their own rules because they can, or simply give a 'cannot' because they just don't know.

... the 'cannot' is a lot like the 'no-hab' !!...    in recent attempt to purchase an item at HomePro I was told 'no-hab' by the staff after showing her the Photo of the item on the HomePro web-page...   completely unconvinced, I went walk about and found the exact item I was looking for....

... I suspect the case is similar with the Op... he wanted to do something and encountered the 'cannot'...  seems like too much effort response (from the staff)... later on going back he probably encountered someone more forthcoming with their work ethic. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1