What is a low fat Thai dish?

Conan The Barbarian

1 hour ago, rwill said:

Fat is not the problem.

The biggest problem with Thai food is all the seed oils and refined sugar added.

Look at some fish sauce labels for example.  You wouldn't think of fish sauce as having sugar but it does.  I have seen different brands from 1% to 6% added sugar.

There are now some keto fish sauces available.  I have seen Dek Somboon and Squid brand.

I like Sriracha sauce but it is 17% sugar so I don't use it anymore.  I did find Dek Somboon makes a keto version of it too.

Silly thing is they charge you more for not adding sugar to it.  Some of it uses stevia instead.  That's probably more expensive than sugar.

It all gets so exaggerated, as an example I'll take your example with Sriracha sauce.
Okay, 17% sugar but do you eat sauce with food, or food with sauce, and eat it 10 times a day?
Someone else here suggests that MSG is not a problem either, that's another example with so many heads, so many sentences.
This week I read another post if you have foam on your urine, well then your kidneys are almost gone.
And so I could go on and on, everything in moderation and you will be fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Low vs. high fat is not the issue. The issue is good vs. bad fats. You can eat as much good fats (coconut oil, butter, ghee, lard, tallow) as you want, and you should avoid the bad fats ("vegetable" oils) - as well as sugar. (Good) fats will make you feel full, so you won't need to eat as much - if losing weight is your goal.

3 hours ago, Dionigi said:

Funny that most Thais remained slim and fit on their unhealthy diet until western food became available

Overweight prevalence in Thailand ranks third in Southeast Asia

Thailand's obesity rate is on the rise, with a 2022 study showing that the prevalence of overweight and obesity has reached 47.8%, up from 34.7% in 2016

https://www.thailand-business-news.com/health/49065-thailand-ranks-second-asean-prevalence-obesity-mcot-net

Edited by Hummin
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, rwill said:

Silly thing is they charge you more for not adding sugar to it.  Some of it uses stevia instead.  That's probably more expensive than sugar.

it's the same in the US. Anything without an unhealthy amount of sugar and salt is significantly more expensive.

Tom Yum with fish

As already mentioned som tum, and steamed fish, and most "yum" dishes are ok. 

Stir fried or steamed vegies 

There is lots of very unhealthy Thai food out there, so much deep fried things in the cheapest oils, also lots of fatty meats, and eggs, it's easy to eat 4 or 5 eggs a day in Thailand if you have a couple eggs on toast for breakfast, then a fried rice at lunch, and a phat-thai in the evening, and maybe some Thai cakes/sweets for dessert. Generally it's best to go for the steamed or grilled things.

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

You cant live on Bamboo only, 

The best thing to do in Thailand is to cook yourself if you want to live healthy

True. However, I don't recall saying I did.

Bamboo is a good source of fibre, protein, and vitamins. Ideal for someone trying for a healthy weight.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

True. However, I don't recall saying I did.

Bamboo is a good source of fibre, protein, and vitamins. Ideal for someone trying for a healthy weight.

I had to check, and I cant understand why it says high in protein, when only 2,6g per 100g. 

The problem is to get enough protein every day, and after you have met your protein, it really doesnt matter how balanced your other kalories is, but a good rule of thumb for anyone is 25% protein, 45% carb and 30% fat, and from there as long your protein is met, you can actually do whatever you want, as long you stay inside your total amount of kalories. If working out regulary, I would had higher protein intake. 

What else you need to consider is how nutrient your diet is, and add vitamins and minerals if necessery, and balance with enough fibers, as well.

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

That was quite funny: "a lower fat oil".

All oil is 100% fat which produces 9 kcal per gram.

What oils are healthier is a different topic, but the OP is looking for low-fat meals to reduce calories.

Rapeseed oil, widely available and cheaper than olive oil in UK, but I don't know about Thailand.

I've now got to where I prefer it for cooking. It's also much easier to clean from utensils which, to me, shows that it's lighter.

4 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

It all gets so exaggerated, as an example I'll take your example with Sriracha sauce.
Okay, 17% sugar but do you eat sauce with food, or food with sauce, and eat it 10 times a day?
Someone else here suggests that MSG is not a problem either, that's another example with so many heads, so many sentences.
This week I read another post if you have foam on your urine, well then your kidneys are almost gone.
And so I could go on and on, everything in moderation and you will be fine.

well, I have witnessed the difference in the Thais  - I lived here in 1972-73 and then again in 1976--79  there was no western fast food then, very very few fat Thais - then I came back in the '90's and wow, western fast food galore and yessir fat Thais too.  But on top of that, much local foods use and use cooking oil too many times, lots of sugar and salt.  But there are restaurants nowadays too that will provide well cooked healthy foods according to the new healthy diet foods.  Steamed veggies, only olive oil for sauce/slight cooking, and prices are not so expensive either.  That is here in BKK anyway, not sure about other areas.  After reading the Dr. Li's best selling books on dieting we changed our diets so have been looking for the restaurants that do the healthy meals.  If one wishes to cook for themselves, there are

many markets providing fresh foods and one can opt for whatever they want/like but that is life anyway isn't it? what is good for me others might not like.  I do wish all a healthy and happy life!

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

That was quite funny: "a lower fat oil".

All oil is 100% fat which produces 9 kcal per gram.

What oils are healthier is a different topic, but the OP is looking for low-fat meals to reduce calories.

Oils are liquid at room temperature, fats are solid.

Fats are usually higher in the glyceryl esters of saturated fatty acids such as palmitic and stearic acid. Oils contain more unsaturated fatty acids, variations of oleic, linoleic, and linolenic acid.

Liquidity also depends on whether the fat/oil has differing proportions of  monoglycerides, diglycerides, or triglycerides.

I have found a low fat option in cooking is an air fryer. I line the cooking basket with aluminium foil, and spray with a little olive oil to prevent sticking. No mess, no fuss.

29 minutes ago, VBF said:

Rapeseed oil, widely available and cheaper than olive oil in UK, but I don't know about Thailand.

I've now got to where I prefer it for cooking. It's also much easier to clean from utensils which, to me, shows that it's lighter.

I went to Gemini for this answer:

The key difference between rapeseed and olive oil lies in their fatty acid composition:

• Fatty Acids:

• Rapeseed Oil: Rich in both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, with a good balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. It's also low in saturated fat.
    • Olive Oil: Primarily monounsaturated fats, particularly oleic acid, known for its heart-healthy benefits. Extra virgin olive oil may also contain some polyphenols, which are antioxidant compounds.
  • Other Chemical Differences:

• Smoke Point: Rapeseed oil generally has a higher smoke point than olive oil, making it suitable for high-heat cooking. Extra virgin olive oil has a lower smoke point and is better for lower-heat applications or drizzling for flavor.
    • Vitamins: Rapeseed oil is a good source of vitamin E, while olive oil content varies depending on processing.

Both oils offer health benefits, but their chemical makeup makes them suited for different purposes.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Dionigi said:

Funny that most Thais remained slim and fit on their unhealthy diet until western food became available

accompanied by a rise in disposable income that occurred over several decades and a lot more use of scooters and less walking and bicycling.

3 hours ago, VBF said:

People will have more luck looking for canola oil rather than rapeseed oil.  It's the more accepted name for the same oil.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

People will have more luck looking for canola oil rather than rapeseed oil.  It's the more accepted name for the same oil.

• Rapeseed oil: This is the original oil extracted from the rapeseed plant. It can be used for industrial purposes like lubrication, but its high erucic acid content makes it unsuitable for eating.
  • Canola oil: This is a type of rapeseed oil that has been bred to have low levels of erucic acid and glucosinolates (which can give a bitter taste). Canola stands for "Canadian oil, low acid" and is generally recognized as safe for consumption.

In most places, like North America and Australia, "canola oil" is the term you'll see on grocery store shelves. Rapeseed oil, if available, is likely for industrial uses.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

• Rapeseed oil: This is the original oil extracted from the rapeseed plant. It can be used for industrial purposes like lubrication, but its high erucic acid content makes it unsuitable for eating.
  • Canola oil: This is a type of rapeseed oil that has been bred to have low levels of erucic acid and glucosinolates (which can give a bitter taste). Canola stands for "Canadian oil, low acid" and is generally recognized as safe for consumption.

In most places, like North America and Australia, "canola oil" is the term you'll see on grocery store shelves. Rapeseed oil, if available, is likely for industrial uses.

OK.... I grew up in an area where they grew rapeseed while I was quite young.  Later the farmers started growing canola which looked identical and they said it was the same crop with a different name.

It doesn’t matter is my answer. Fat isn’t bad for us. If we eat food that is good for us we can gorge ourselves on fat with little consequence. I’m living proof. The problem is people eat diets filled with foods we were not designed to eat. Can you picture a caveman coming out of his cave in the morning with a glass of milk or a block of cheese? Our digestive systems evolved over millions of years to efficiently digest available foods, things like eggs, meats, water, perhaps fruits and vegetables. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk on the human diet and all the idiocy around the actual simplicity