Name one recipe that you cook at home whilst living in Thailand.

ubonr1971

I describe my GF as more of an arsonist than a cook so I tend to do most of the cooking.

Just knocking up a batch of Bolognese sauce now to eat over the next day or two. Using pork though as she won't eat beef.

I'll have it with fettuccine and I have a half  decent bit of parmesan I brought out with me as the cost is ridiculous here. Even the button mushrooms (fresh , not tinned) cost me a small fortune in Makro. I don't find it the same using the various Thai variations of mushroom.

13 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Tacos (also burritos, quesadillas and nachos, but you said one)

It's interesting that you would mention that because I just found some great taco shells at Macro (imported from Mexico) - and with them I make DELICIOUS tacos! This makes me look forward to my dinner each day - for the first time in a long time.

Chana Masala

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 medium red onion coarsely chopped

4 cloves garlic minced

1 tsp cumin seeds

½ tsp ground coriander

¼ tsp ground ginger or 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger

1 tsp garam masala

4 cardamom pods lightly crushed

28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes 1 can

1 tsp salt more to taste

1 tbsp cilantro leaves chopped, plus more for garnish

⅛ tsp cayenne pepper add more to taste

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp chili powder

30 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed 2 (15 oz) cans

5 baby red potatoes diced

6 tbsp plain non fat Greek yogurt or coconut milk yogurt

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Chana Masala

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 medium red onion coarsely chopped

4 cloves garlic minced

1 tsp cumin seeds

½ tsp ground coriander

¼ tsp ground ginger or 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger

1 tsp garam masala

4 cardamom pods lightly crushed

28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes 1 can

1 tsp salt more to taste

1 tbsp cilantro leaves chopped, plus more for garnish

⅛ tsp cayenne pepper add more to taste

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp chili powder

30 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed 2 (15 oz) cans

5 baby red potatoes diced

6 tbsp plain non fat Greek yogurt or coconut milk yogurt

We are cooking Chana Masala quite often. Altough in an easier version (just use ready mixed curry powder).

Eating it with rice or naan bread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BangkokHank said:

It's interesting that you would mention that because I just found some great taco shells at Macro (imported from Mexico) - and with them I make DELICIOUS tacos! This makes me look forward to my dinner each day - for the first time in a long time.

Makro has frozen wheat tortillas in two sizes and also frozen corn tortilla shells. I prefer them over the ones from the grocery section (uncooled)

• Thanks 1

We are doing any kind of wraps quite often. Filling with whatever is available (chicken, beef, rice, beans, cheese).

So they come out as western or tex-mex style, depending on ingredients.

Also we vary in eating them right away or grilled once again in the pan after rolling. 

I found the best wrap sheets are El Charro brand from makro. However they are quite thin. If you like more bread, take the ones from Mission Brand (but they have preservatives inside).

Below sample picture

image.png.97e29bc4926d0ebf267821087a6485eb.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A short-ish list haha

Spaghetti Bolognaise // Carbonara // Green Pesto /w Cream 🤤

Cheesy Pasta Bake

Proper Home Made Burgers

Steak (cooked properly), fries etc

Roast Dinners (Meat, Potatoes, Veg, Gravy etc)

Air Fryer Pulled Pork

Home made Donner Kebab (a serious favourite haha)

Soft Chicken Tacos

Homemade Pizza

Its weird how your brain stops working when you're trying to think haha

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Thanks - but where can one buy fresh rhubarb in Thailand?

The last time I saw "fresh" rhubarb was many years ago in Villa supermarket at Sukhumvit 31 in Bangkok. You needed a big credit card back then to buy it,

Nowadays you will probably need to remortgage your house and land, and probably sell your soul to the devil. IIRC it came from China.

My Dad used to grow it in the back garden in the UK.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Keeps said:

I describe my GF as more of an arsonist than a cook so I tend to do most of the cooking.

Just knocking up a batch of Bolognese sauce now to eat over the next day or two. Using pork though as she won't eat beef.

I'll have it with fettuccine and I have a half  decent bit of parmesan I brought out with me as the cost is ridiculous here. Even the button mushrooms (fresh , not tinned) cost me a small fortune in Makro. I don't find it the same using the various Thai variations of mushroom.

Try Straw mushrooms(Hed Fang)  Not impressed with the button mushrooms etc in Thailand. Straw mushrooms are a good alternative.

19 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

I want to cook more interesting meals for my wife and child. 

Tonight I cooked a red bean soup. Last night soaked the kidney beans in water for 24 hours. Tonight I found a simple recipe: Chop onions and garlic. Cook in a pan. Add tin tomatoes. vege stock. pepper, diced potatoes (white and red), carrots and cerely. Simmer for 1 hour.  I could have added a meat protein but decided to go vege only tonight

My wife and child didnt like it. Ordered grab. 

If you have 1 dish that you cook whilst living here in the LOS please list it here or give a link. Particularly interested in eating less meat. 

thanks

Pizza, Chili con Carne, Grilled salmon. Burgher and Fries, Lasagna, Spag bol. Cooked them all.

Wife and daughter enjoy.

Better quality, more quantity, less expensive, less travel - and a whole lot more enjoyable!

20 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

If you have 1 dish that you cook whilst living here in the LOS please list it here or give a link. Particularly interested in eating less meat. 

thanks

I make the house's gourmet food almost daily – except when I ask my Thai girlfriend to cook Thai food – an excellent dish with no meat could be salad, with much of everything but salad leaves, and with feta-style cheese and your preferred dressing on top, served with fresh baked, or oven warmed, multigrain bread...:thumbsup:

I normally make a dressing with yoghurt and just a bit of mayonnaise, added the preferred choice of taste. A simple Thousand Island-dressing is just to ad a little bit tomato ketchup (taste, what is the right level for you) and preferably a spoonful or two of sundried tomatoes (Pesto).

You asked for one dish, but I have many favourites – Western and Mediterranean food is easy and simple to cook – and just little chicken meat can make many a delicious dish when served with a variety of vegetables and a good sauce...😋

Hearty stews are easy to do. 

I like them rustic style with whole baby potatoes and pearl onions, along with green beans and carrots. I normally use pork as the wife does not like beef. The pork, onions, and potatoes have been simmering a couple of hours, now time for the beans and carrots, then another 45 minutes or so.  A nice salad and some crusty bread is all that is necessary.  

IMG_20210525_112712.jpg

Edited by marin

Pasta usually works and most everyone who tries it likes it, if you have a good sauce. I use ground chicken or turkey (can't find gr. turkey here yet), stir fry it until browned, then add to the pasta. Finding a good sauce here isn't easy, although Tops has a couple. When I go back home to visit, I bring as many jars as I can fit in my bags, wrapped in bubble wrap. Finish with grated parmesan (if you can find it, canned is okay also).My girlfriend isn't much of a pasta fan yet, but she loves when I make meatballs. I use ground beef, pork, bread crumbs, garlic powder, pepper, salt, eggs, parsley and oregano. She loves them.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

You guys doing the wraps / Mexican you gotta give makimg the tortillas a try. I’ve only done flour myself. There are some hard to find ingredients for corn, at least relative to back home. 

Making tortillas is a pain I’ll admit. But it’s worth it. I roll mine out and they always stick to the cutting board.its a nightmare but in the end they taste real, real good. I’m just not into the processed tortillas myself, esp at the prices we pay here

38 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Not at all. Why eat alone.

You sound like a cheap charlie.  Still chasing balloons for your next meal?

We love our home cooked meals . One gets the Flavor/ Taste what one wants and one knows what's in the recipe .

Most of the time when one eats Out it's not exactly  the way one want's it to be or they don't have what one Really wants so we eat/cook at home . Love it.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

You guys doing the wraps / Mexican you gotta give makimg the tortillas a try. I’ve only done flour myself. There are some hard to find ingredients for corn, at least relative to back home. 

Making tortillas is a pain I’ll admit. But it’s worth it. I roll mine out and they always stick to the cutting board.its a nightmare but in the end they taste real, real good. I’m just not into the processed tortillas myself, esp at the prices we pay here

Wheat or corn tortillas?

For corn you need corn flour treated with calcium hydroxide. Could only find a brand "Uncle Bobs Organic" which costs a fortune. Frozen corn tortillas from Makro are not expensive