How Long Does Standard Thai Post Take TH to UK? Thai Post website sucks...

SamuiAddict

Hello

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but I can't find the info. Sooo

How long does standard Thai post take from TH to the UK.  Standard service, not express etc.  Thai post website doesn't have (or I can't find) UK specific info and the est delivery time is very vague - 5-28 days or something.

Also, what happens when the parcel reaches the UK customs wise etc.  There will be a customs charge as they're "commercial" goods (only a few clothes).  Will the recipient get a call to pay the customs charge or or do they pay when it reaches their door etc?

Thanks in advance for any info provided 

Generally about 7-10 days. You can select "registered" if you need it tracked or "signed for" 

If its commercial they will be charged 20% VAT. 

Generally parcels that require duty to be paid are held at the local sorting office for payment and collection.( A card isuusally delivered telling them where to contact)

• Like 2

Thai post website doesn't have (or I can't find) UK specific info and the est delivery time is very vague - 5-28 days or something.

that's a pretty good rule of thumb, whether it's a problem on the thai side or uk side, or the bit inbetween, i don't know. having said that 7-10 days would be the norm, but don;t count on it.

2 hours ago, tubber said:

The UK is a disaster. Packages get stuck in Customs for weeks both entering and leaving the UK. I send stuff regularly both from Europe and Thailand to UK and it gets worse every year.

Yes, I've had items stuck in the Langley, Heathrow Customs office for up to two weeks on numerous occasions.  Absolutely disgraceful level of service.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Drumbuie said:

I've sent a few birthday cards to the UK, normal post, it's taken them between a week and a fortnight to arrive and cost less than first class post in the UK.....which can also take between a week and a fortnight. 

I don't send Birthday Cards from Thaland now. No need. I use Moonpig :

https://www.moonpig.com/uk/

Log into their site, select a card from their wide selection or design your own. You can write any message you like inside. They then print it off and send it from the UK to be delivered on the date you choose. Used many times and always works flawlessly. Very cheap . My mum always likes the personalized cards I send , usually with a picture of her on the front on one of her holidays to Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have sent many letters to the UK and for the most part the time taken for delivery has been 8 to 10 days. There have also been a number of occasions when the item sits in Langley, Heathrow and the delivery time has been 3 or more weeks. One, some years ago got lost completely. Worse than the lottery!

8 minutes ago, Denim said:

I don't send Birthday Cards from Thaland now. No need. I use Moonpig :

https://www.moonpig.com/uk/

Log into their site, select a card from their wide selection or design your own. You can write any message you like inside. They then print it off and send it from the UK to be delivered on the date you choose. Used many times and always works flawlessly. Very cheap . My mum always likes the personalized cards I send , usually with a picture of her on the front on one of her holidays to Thailand.

Moonpig used to be very good. I used to get reminders of the birthdays which saved me a lot of hassle. However, for some reason all the reminders have stopped. Having reset everything hoping to get reminders, for some unknown reason I now don't get them.

Less than 48 hours from the time you mail the letter/package until it leaves Suvarnabhumi Airport.  The rest of the time it's transit time internationally and in the UK. 

I have tracked many posts from Thailand to the US using the Thai Post as well as packages send from overseas to my address.  The Thai Post is highly efficient compared to USPS in the US. Two days max to transit from Chiang Mai/Lamphun to Suvarnabhumi Airport and clear customs and vice-versa when things are send to me from overseas - often less.

If you feel like bashing Thai Post - don't.  They are not the problem.  Send a few EMS letters, track them, and find out yourself.

20 hours ago, ignis said:

Look the other way  Royal Mail UK to Thailand  >  https://www.royalmail.com

Copy from there website UK to Thailand

Max 100g | Max L 24cm x W 16.5cm x D 0.5cm
e.g. Greetings cards, personal letters and postcards        
Delivery aim 56 days

People no longer send me anything told most not to bother.  except Pension folk to see if I am still alive, , in 9 years on Pension only ever received 1x form from them + arrived 19 months after posting according to the postmark on the envelope !!  Why O why will they keep sending this way? they have my email address..

Few years ago used to send Xmas Cards + Birthday card  to UK, maybe 30% arrived

Yes send "registered"  lot cheaper than Recorded or EMS

Same Same, Sent one of those "Proof of Life" forms back to one of my Pension Providers in August 2023,  According to them not received,  and according to Thai Post ............."at Airport" ...........??? Scanned and sent by email !

Stopped using 'standard' post years ago.

Very unreliable in terms of how long it took, as well as many letters/cards never arriving.

Mind you, here on Samui is worse. There is no postman for our area. Not enough staff.

Piles and piles of undelivered stuff sitting in the bay at the local office. 3 -4 feet high.

2 hours ago, connda said:

Less than 48 hours from the time you mail the letter/package until it leaves Suvarnabhumi Airport.  The rest of the time it's transit time internationally and in the UK. 

I have tracked many posts from Thailand to the US using the Thai Post as well as packages send from overseas to my address.  The Thai Post is highly efficient compared to USPS in the US. Two days max to transit from Chiang Mai/Lamphun to Suvarnabhumi Airport and clear customs and vice-versa when things are send to me from overseas - often less.

If you feel like bashing Thai Post - don't.  They are not the problem.  Send a few EMS letters, track them, and find out yourself.

I agree. Sent docs Thailand to Philippines. As you say, 2 days to leave Suvarnabhumi, then forever in Philippines. Tracking stopped as soon as it left Thailand. 10 more days in Philippines. But island to island. Cost 720 THB. And 112 PHP customs fee in Philippines payable at post office there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, doctormann said:

Yes, I've had items stuck in the Langley, Heathrow Customs office for up to two weeks on numerous occasions.  Absolutely disgraceful level of service.

Langley seems to be a bit of a black hole. Stuff goes in there and never comes out. Last small parcel I got sent from UK the tracking stopped at Langley, never received it. Sent a package from Schiphol airport to UK, took 1 month, sat in Langley for 3 weeks.

It'll all change when that Czech Billionaire buys the P.O.