I prefer to do it myself - thanks

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its possibly related to 'splitting the bill'...    some are more frugal and may only want to pay for exactly what they had - thats the only think I can think of when it comes to 'keeping track of bottles'... 

As the Op pointed out, its just a minor gripe...    

Some may like to keep a check on the number of bottles they have drunk if they are driving  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its ok... the 'ice in beer is sacrilege' comment is one every newbie to Thailand makes until they realise they are unoriginal....   and just learn to go with the flow.. 

Really cannot agree with you there.

Whether my comment is original or not, NO beer should ever have ice in it. If it tastes so bad it needs ice, drink something else!

However, it is improved by being served ice cold and as long as you drink it before it warms up it's just about drinkable...IMO.

The liquid sold as beer in Thailand is, agreed, technically beer, but for a Brit used to drinking  proper ale, bitter, stout etc it's a poor substitute. It's not even as tasty as a good lager!

Having said that, I do drink it because i like being in bars and cannot drink spirits all night.....does that count as going with the flow?  :whistling:😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Depends... do you have ice in your spirits ?

Depends on the spirit, mate. 

But then I also have mixers in spirits, beer, IMO, should be good on its own chilled, or in the case of most UK beers at room temperature. 

However, i think you're British, aren't you, so you would know that unless of course you happen to be winding me up.....as if! :whistling:

20 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

ManUp 

Drink it straight from the bottle. 

BTW, I like your user name 😂

When I drink in bars or at home I drink it straight out of the bottle. I only drink out of a glass where the bar has draught only. The downside of draught is if the bar owner gets a manifold made up, he can get 2 barrels to work in unison. One beer and one water, not that I'm suggesting that any Thai bar owners would do that.

51 minutes ago, mason 45 said:

When I drink in bars or at home I drink it straight out of the bottle. I only drink out of a glass where the bar has draught only. The downside of draught is if the bar owner gets a manifold made up, he can get 2 barrels to work in unison. One beer and one water, not that I'm suggesting that any Thai bar owners would do that.

I understand, I Drink draft beer occasionally but the other guy was complaining about staff topping up his beer glass from his beer bottle. 

22 hours ago, Querentino_Spaghettino said:

It's a minor gripe, but when I go out for a beer, I like to relax and savor it at my own pace. I always tell the server that I'll pour my own beer, thank you very much. However, unless I keep a vigilant eye on my glass, one of the other staff members inevitably sneaks up and tops it off.

As I mentioned, it's a minor annoyance when I'm alone or with a small group. But it becomes problematic at large gatherings, where it’s nearly impossible to keep track of how many bottles are piling up at the end of the table. Does anyone else feel this way?

I don't like ice also which is added regardless.  I just drink out of the bottle which is probably cleaner anyhow.  Minor inconvenience and I prefer the feel of the bottle touching my lips ( yep- that sounds gay ). 

Now if it is a premium frothy beer served in a large mug then that is even better but I don't frequent those type of higher class establishments. I'm a grunt and when out on the town the taste of the beer is really of little consequence.

49 minutes ago, tandor said:

beer1.png

Yuck, I try to never touch the rim.  The glass was probably already quite dirty considering where most are washed here and then putting my dirty paws on the rim is avoided if at all possible.  Off topic - how do people chew their fingernails knowing the bacteria they are digesting.  Putting the dirtiest part of your own body in your mouth is disgusting.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its possibly related to 'splitting the bill'...    some are more frugal and may only want to pay for exactly what they had - thats the only think I can think of when it comes to 'keeping track of bottles'... 

As the Op pointed out, its just a minor gripe...    

Sure.... I don´t argue with that, because I can´t.

On 6/28/2024 at 9:07 AM, Querentino_Spaghettino said:

It's a minor gripe, but when I go out for a beer, I like to relax and savor it at my own pace. I always tell the server that I'll pour my own beer, thank you very much. However, unless I keep a vigilant eye on my glass, one of the other staff members inevitably sneaks up and tops it off.

As I mentioned, it's a minor annoyance when I'm alone or with a small group. But it becomes problematic at large gatherings, where it’s nearly impossible to keep track of how many bottles are piling up at the end of the table. Does anyone else feel this way?

So the reason for your annoyance is that you may fall behind in keeping track of the number of bottles and it may cost you a baht or two... I'm sure that there is an app for that.