Foreigner fined for threatening Thai cyclist with dogs

webfact

15 minutes ago, Spock said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

As horrific as it is...  this is what some people are left resorting to taking matters into their own hands as authorities often do nothing in response to complaints about aggressive animals. 

In the past, I've been on too many beaches in Thailand with aggressive dogs and have concern for my son's safety and end up leaving.

I've also been at restaurants where dog were around and we had to get the staff to shoo the dogs away - they often start to get aggressive when competing for the possibility of food scraps... 

At one restaurant we had a group of young kids playing and the owners dog was nearby - I asked the owner to take the dog away, but she didn't want to until I told her the whole table (of about 16 people) would leave if they didn't... 

The dog may have been friendly, but as the kids were playing and running around in the sand, the dog was attracted to the commotion - I could easily perceive a situation where one of the kids is bitten.

Expand  

You sound like a particularly unreasonable person. You have no right to ask the owners of a friendly dog in a restaurant to take their dog away. I wish the owner had told all 189 of you to bugger off.

Perhaps I was unreasonable...    But I don't really care about being reasonable when it comes to the safety of children.

It was a very casual beach restaurant, the kids were playing near our table and the owners dog approached and getting too close for my comfort - my concern was one of the kids getting bitten, as they were jumping around and playing.

Would the owner have taken responsibility for a child being bitten ?....  perhaps an unlikely possibility, the dog did appear to have a gentle nature, however, why would I take that risk ? - if thats unreasonable, then so be it. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreigner fined for threatening Thai cyclist with dogs

image.jpeg

Trat - On the morning of June 26, 2024, Mr. Thakorn, aged 60, spoke out about a concerning incident for many people in Mai Rut Subdistrict. He warned villagers walking or cycling near the public beach to beware of dogs from a nearby resort. 

Mr. Thakorn recounted how he typically bikes for exercise near the beach every morning. However, on this day, a group of about 5-6 dogs from the resort ran towards him, causing him to fall off his bicycle in fear.

As he stood to protect himself, a foreigner emerged from the resort and forbade him from being on the beach, speaking in English. The foreigner then pushed Mr. Thakorn three times, causing him to fall and injure his leg.

Mr. Thakorn reported the incident to Mai Rut Police Station at 9:00 a.m. the same day. The police summoned the foreigner, identified as Mr. Mario, who claimed to be the resort owner. 

He admitted to releasing the dogs and making threats against Mr. Thakorn. The police fined Mr. Mario 1,000 baht for his actions before releasing him.

Mr. Thakorn expressed his concern to the news team, emphasizing his desire for the police to thoroughly investigate Mr. Matio's background. He highlighted that he did not seek damages but wanted the incident to serve as a warning to others in the area. 

He also criticized the police for not checking Mr. Mario's visa status and not reviewing CCTV footage from the resort.

Meanwhile, Grandma Sombat, aged 78, a local villager who collects antiques for a living, shared her own experience of being bitten by a dog from the resort while gathering old items in front of it. She received 200 baht in compensation from Mr. Mario's wife. Despite the public beach status, villagers now avoid walking past the resort due to fear of dog attacks.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-28

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Another scumbag. Out with him 👎

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bangel72 said:

It was a partial street dog, so fed and a regular at street store. I did not go after costs from them but I suspect if they understood they had liability it might make them think twice about encouraging the dogs to be there.

Completely agree...    not only this, but feeding encourages more dogs, more competition, more aggression - more problems.

Either dogs are owned (with a collar showing the owner) and they must be kept in secured property not free to roam around... (or the owner is fined), or they are removed.

As much as dog-lovers may hate this idea - this is the only way to ensure streets and beaches etc are safe.

10 minutes ago, Bangel72 said:

In the posters case, nobody should live in fear when walking or cycling along a beach, owner of place in my view has responsibility

Absolutely agree...  How many kids are bitten, people riding bikes, jogging, motorcycle accidents caused etc.. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Completely agree...    not only this, but feeding encourages more dogs, more competition, more aggression - more problems.

Either dogs are owned (with a collar showing the owner) and they must be kept in secured property not free to roam around... (or the owner is fined), or they are removed.

As much as dog-lovers may hate this idea - this is the only way to ensure streets and beaches etc are safe.

Absolutely agree...  How many kids are bitten, people riding bikes, jogging, motorcycle accidents caused etc.. 

And Pit Bulls are still legal - in spite of the fact that they are acknowledged to be probably the most dangerous breed in the world.

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

...another attention seeking Thai with nothing better to do that just wants his blurred face on the news!

bob.

Yeah, typical attention seeking Thai, gently riding his bicycle along a public beach and being attacked by aggressive dogs, how dare he! 

Mario. Italian?

I am reminded of a time staying in an Indonesian "losman" which is similar to a motel complex.

One evening the manager/owner was in a heated exchange of words with no decipherable meaning.

Afterwards when i a discussion with the Manager he said the other was an Italian .

Given the extent of gestulations and seeming aggressive exchange it seemed quite a reasonable assumption.

Next morning I happened to  get into a conversation with supposed Italian.

It transpired that he was a Northern Scotsman and the verbal exchange he  had the evening before was an attempt to arrange the hire of a  motorcycle.

I could not avoid laughing at recall for  many days !

Sorry.

back to topic.

• Like 2

The Asean Now article only translates part of the original report, and what this clown Mario did is actually much worse. He threw the old Thai man's bike in to the sea and he also said that he had a gun and threatened him with it.

I don't like to count myself amongst the hang 'gm high brigade but this farang clown needs a much harsher punishment for this. 1,000 baht fine? It's a pittance.

• Thumbs Up 1