Who will replace Joe Biden as the Democratic Presidential candidate?

connda

With Joe Biden crashing and burning at last night's Trump/Biden Presidential Debate it seems all die-hard Biden supporters including those in the Main-Stream Media are acknowledging that Joe needs to retire and let someone else run in his place.  Will he go gracefully into the night or be pushed out at the Democratic Convention in Chicago?  Or will he stand his ground and bumble on until November?

So I'm curious.  A question for you Biden supporters and those who watch US Presidential politics.  What say you? 

Will Joe bow out gracefully or be pushed out or bumble on until November?
If Joe bows out or is pushed out - who will be his replacement?
Newsom? M. Obama? Harris? Clinton? Whitmer? Sanders? Warren? Pelosi? Schumer? Someone else?

Now that the obvious regarding Joe Biden's mental acumen is clear to the world including his own supporters - who is gonna take his place on November 5th 2024?

4 minutes ago, novacova said:

Not sure if it really matters at this juncture. The dems seem to hit a dead end wall with the heavy sell of Biden. Though any one of those you mentioned in the op is better than the empty shell of Biden. 

They have four full months to go into "Damage Control."  It should be interesting, or at least entertaining. 
Now I wasn't going to vote for either Trump or Biden, but it the DNC can put up a decent Gen-X or Millennial candidate, maybe I'd change my mind.  They actually have an opportunity here, well, unless they decide to run another Boomer geriatric basket-case.

Most likely Harris. A big mistake but if Biden endorses her, it would be over.

Second most likely is Newsom. A president type straight out of central casting.

Then other probably more worthy people:

Whitmer (third most likely) Governor of Michigan

Shapiro Governor of Pennsylvania

Buttigeig (long shot)

Klobuchar (long shot)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

They have four full months to go into "Damage Control."  It should be interesting, or at least entertaining. 
Now I wasn't going to vote for either Trump or Biden, but it the DNC can put up a decent Gen-X or Millennial candidate, maybe I'd change my mind.  They actually have an opportunity here, well, unless they decide to run another Boomer geriatric basket-case.

So you vote on personality.

• Agree 1

There is a constitutional element. President Biden could now announce he is no longer seeking re-election. He might say due to reasons of ill health. But then, how can he remain in office? He could resign, and Kamala Harris takes office, appointing a new VP. He might not want to resign, but that will trigger Section 4 of the 25th Amendment, that was brought in after JFK was murdered. But thats a process that takes a cabinet vote, or a vote by some other body determined by Congress; could the Republicans stop Biden from stepping down, if they feel his presence aids their cause, or more importantly, stop the elevation of a potential candidate (which could be Harris or a new VP) into a national role that threatens the vote for Trumpf. In addition, Section 4 allows for Biden to state to Congress that he's fine, he's recovered. There is no medical threshold. The key parts are when the President ceases to be President, the VP immediately becomes President, not Acting President.

North Dakota, South Carolina and Georgia never ratified this. They might not recognise the holders of office. The VP has an important role during any transfer of power. There would be somewhat of a constitutional crisis, irrespective of Democrat Party candidate procedures, that would affect not just the US, but the broader Western world and alliances.

• Confused 1

They are going to have to remove him by force. Just watched a clip of him with Jill at an after event and they claim they had a great debate. The only easy way i can see is he steps aside and Harris would have to be next. I am not sure how quickly they could article 25 him? 

The problem is before all of that he still has the car keys. 

5 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

They are going to have to remove him by force. Just watched a clip of him with Jill at an after event and they claim they had a great debate. The only easy way i can see is he steps aside and Harris would have to be next. I am not sure how quickly they could article 25 him? 

The problem is before all of that he still has the car keys. 

Maybe he just had a bad day. At a campaign rally today. Some people love a crowd. The other individual certainly does.

https://twitter.com/RedTRaccoon/status/1806782688885346761/video/2

You don't understand the 25th Amendment. its not a stick. Its been used 6 times since it was passed in the late 60s.

Speaking of car keys, when was the last time the other individual drove anything byn a Golf Cart?

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Most likely Harris. A big mistake but if Biden endorses her, it would be over.

Second most likely is Newsom. A president type straight out of central casting.

Then other probably more worthy people:

Whitmer (third most likely) Governor of Michigan

Shapiro Governor of Pennsylvania

Buttigeig (long shot)

Klobuchar (long shot)

Kubochar was my long shot last time. Apparently she was bought off by the promise of RBG's seat and was enraged when Trump filled the seat. 

8 hours ago, MicroB said:

There is a constitutional element. President Biden could now announce he is no longer seeking re-election. He might say due to reasons of ill health. But then, how can he remain in office? He could resign, and Kamala Harris takes office, appointing a new VP. He might not want to resign, but that will trigger Section 4 of the 25th Amendment, that was brought in after JFK was murdered. But thats a process that takes a cabinet vote, or a vote by some other body determined by Congress; could the Republicans stop Biden from stepping down, if they feel his presence aids their cause, or more importantly, stop the elevation of a potential candidate (which could be Harris or a new VP) into a national role that threatens the vote for Trumpf. In addition, Section 4 allows for Biden to state to Congress that he's fine, he's recovered. There is no medical threshold. The key parts are when the President ceases to be President, the VP immediately becomes President, not Acting President.

North Dakota, South Carolina and Georgia never ratified this. They might not recognise the holders of office. The VP has an important role during any transfer of power. There would be somewhat of a constitutional crisis, irrespective of Democrat Party candidate procedures, that would affect not just the US, but the broader Western world and alliances.

You don’t have a clue.

There is no need to resign to withdraw from seeking the nomination.

No connection 

There is zero chance he'll be forcibly removed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dems have a Kamala problem.  They can't ditch her without alienating a core constituency.  And there's no way she wins the election.

They're gonna beg Michelle to run, for the good of the country with Newsom as her VP.  She'll step aside after a year or two and Newsom will be able to serve 2-1/2 terms.  That's his carrot to run as VP and not top of the ticket.

Michelle may hate politics, but she loved living in the White House.  (and Barak gets another term, which he'd kill for)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, impulse said:

Dems have a Kamala problem.  They can't ditch her without alienating a core constituency.  And there's no way she wins the election.

They're gonna beg Michelle to run, for the good of the country with Newsom as her VP.  She'll step aside after a year or two and Newsom will be able to serve 2-1/2 terms.  That's his carrot to run as VP and not top of the ticket.

Michelle may hate politics, but she loved living in the White House.  (and Barak gets another term, which he'd kill for)

Conspiracy theory garbage.

It's never democrats that mention Michelle.

But it is a Fox News crowd favorite.

Harris is no problem if she agrees on a consensus candidate with a much better chance than her to win.

What if Biden comes back and does well at the second debate in September. It could happen. I was surprised by yesterday's debate because he seemed competent enough at the State of the Union. Why couldn't he do that again? Will Trump be overconfident? I think replacing Biden at this point (I've heard that his name cannot be taken off some ballots) would mean chaos. It sends the message he's not in condition to be president right now and so should resign for Harris to take over. That said, I'd be happy if Fetterman replaced Biden. He's solid across the board. But right now, he appears to be one of the few offering any loyalty to Biden.

18 hours ago, connda said:

If the dems were smart, by all accounts they don’t seem to be lately, they’d go with RFK.Jr. He’s probably the only one that can pull enough moderates to give an edge over Trump. Going with any other at this point would look like a band-aid superficial fix.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, novacova said:

If the dems were smart, by all accounts they don’t seem to be lately, they’d go with RFK.Jr. He’s probably the only one that can pull enough moderates to give an edge over Trump. Going with any other at this point would look like a band-aid superficial fix.

There are two shouldabeens. RFKjr instead of Biden during the primary. And DeSantis instead of Trump. 

Elvis is not leaving the building. Joe Biden has no replacement, will not be replaced and his place is unchallenged. Rightfully so. I heard the DFL just purchased the worlds largest tack sharpener from China.

Edited by Cryingdick

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Conspiracy theory garbage.

It's never democrats that mention Michelle.

But it is a Fox News crowd favorite.

Harris is no problem if she agrees on a consensus candidate with a much better chance than her to win.

How'za 'bout WaPo? 

8. Michelle Obama

This is the fantasy option for Democrats — and we mean that in more than one way. She would seem to be the ideal alternative for many, but she also seems unlikely to run.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/06/28/democrat-options-replace-biden/

Have a look at the Fox video referencing the 10 alternatives mentioned in the WaPo article, look at the faces, and tell me who ticks the DEI boxes, other than Kamala and Michelle?

Alternatives.jpg.f37ae0ea4ace81cffe148519ba25a432.jpg

https://www.foxnews.com/video/6356008437112

Whatever the Democrats do, you can be sure it will be really really dumb.  Democrats inside the Beltway all seem to be living in a delusional fantasy world. And they really do believe their own nonsense.  Fortunately, they have a date with reality in November.  

3 hours ago, impulse said:

How'za 'bout WaPo? 

8. Michelle Obama

This is the fantasy option for Democrats — and we mean that in more than one way. She would seem to be the ideal alternative for many, but she also seems unlikely to run.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/06/28/democrat-options-replace-biden/

Have a look at the Fox video referencing the 10 alternatives mentioned in the WaPo article, look at the faces, and tell me who ticks the DEI boxes, other than Kamala and Michelle?

Alternatives.jpg.f37ae0ea4ace81cffe148519ba25a432.jpg

https://www.foxnews.com/video/6356008437112

You fail to mention that article says that's impossible as she will never do it!