Supreme Court Ruling Challenges Hundreds of January 6 Cases

Social Media

image.png.4d35461c0b227c36d89e07bbc5cc5b20.png

In a landmark decision, the Supreme Court has cast doubt on the legal grounds used to prosecute hundreds of individuals involved in the January 6 Capitol riot. The Court ruled that federal prosecutors overstepped their bounds by broadly applying an obstruction law, a move that could have significant implications for ongoing cases, including one against former President Donald Trump.

The justices, in a 6-3 opinion that cut across traditional ideological lines, determined that charges of obstruction must be supported by evidence that the defendants attempted to tamper with or destroy documents. This decision directly affects the more than 350 people charged with obstructing the certification of the 2020 presidential election. The law in question, part of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act passed in 2002 to curb corporate misconduct following the Enron scandal, specifies penalties for anyone who "alters, destroys, mutilates, or conceals a record, document, or other object," and also for those who "otherwise obstruct, influence, or impede any official proceeding."

image.png.3170c0f644d816277f000cdd445c34cc.png

Federal prosecutors had argued for a broad interpretation of the law, which would include the actions of the January 6 rioters. However, the Supreme Court's ruling emphasized a narrower application, limiting the use of this law to cases involving document tampering.

This decision has been welcomed by supporters of Donald Trump, who faces his own legal challenges related to his efforts to overturn the 2020 election results. While the ruling introduces a new complexity to his case, it is not expected to halt one of the key charges against him. Aziz Huq, a professor at the University of Chicago Law School, noted that Trump’s charges involve falsifying or altering "records, documents, or objects," which aligns with the Court’s interpretation. Additionally, Trump faces other charges, including conspiring to defraud the U.S. and conspiring against the rights of citizens, which are unaffected by this ruling.

image.png.dc288f274054e29ded901f82a917682c.png

The special counsel prosecuting Trump, Jack Smith, is under significant time pressure. If Trump wins the 2024 presidential election, he would have the authority to dismiss Smith and potentially end the federal case against him.

For the hundreds of January 6 defendants, the Supreme Court's decision could lead to a reevaluation of their charges. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act was one of several laws used against those who stormed the Capitol. Attorney General Merrick Garland emphasized that the ruling would not affect the vast majority of the over 1,400 defendants charged in connection with the riot, noting that most face additional charges beyond obstruction.

The case that brought this issue to the Supreme Court was that of Joseph Fischer, a former police officer from Pennsylvania. Fischer, who attended Trump’s rally and briefly entered the Capitol, was seen on video arguing with police. His obstruction charge will now be reconsidered by lower courts, but he still faces several other charges, including civil disorder and assaulting a police officer.

According to the Justice Department, more than 1,400 people have been charged with crimes related to the January 6 riot. Over 500 defendants have been charged with assaulting or impeding officers, and more than 130 have been charged with using a deadly or dangerous weapon or causing serious injury to police. Additionally, over 1,300 individuals have been charged with entering or remaining in restricted federal buildings or grounds, with more than 100 facing charges for entering a restricted area with a deadly weapon.

The Supreme Court's decision marks a significant moment in the ongoing legal battles stemming from the January 6 Capitol riot, potentially reshaping the course of many prosecutions and influencing future legal strategies in related cases.

Credit: BBC 2024-06-29

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Real Name Hidden said:

‘Lefty’ George Bush Jr. compared these disgraceful insurrectionists to the 9/11 hijackers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/09/11/bush-calls-americans-confront-domestic-and-foreign-terrorists/8299807002/

"seeming to liken the insurrectionists who attacked the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 to the 9/11 hijackers"

Seeming ain't saying. Sounds like another dose of lies to me.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Real Name Hidden said:

‘Lefty’ George Bush Jr. compared these disgraceful insurrectionists to the 9/11 hijackers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/09/11/bush-calls-americans-confront-domestic-and-foreign-terrorists/8299807002/

Not really a relevant comparison. The 9/11 hijackers (how bad they were), did not try to steal elections.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, nauseus said:

"seeming to liken the insurrectionists who attacked the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 to the 9/11 hijackers"

Seeming ain't saying. Sounds like another dose of lies to me.

The far left are so good at lies!

The world just witnessed the media & the dems biden decline lie at the debate!

Sure wish my side had a  Stalinist style propaganda machine !

activist pretending to be reporters spreading insurrection , when nobody , not one was charged!

Nancy Pelosi & her tribe of useful idiots will pay for her refusal to

use a NG presence.

The rub, only the left can protest & riot  and not be politicized!

methinks

Edited by riclag
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, candide said:

Stop the banana Republic B.S. 

Totally agree, stop the banana republic bs. The authoritarian criminal left has a historical record for using the law to go after their political opponents typically seen but not limited in the banana belt including countries like china, Russia and ideological states in the Middle East. What is fascinating is that those on the extreme left know it but lack any intestinal and mental fortitude to admit it.

21 hours ago, candide said:

It's about a legal technicality and doesn't innocent them for breaking into the Capitol.

Any ruling government can bend, fabricate, create ancillaries and contort constitutional law and go after their own citizens. So I ask again, who were the idiots that voted these criminals in and appointed criminals to the justice system?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, impulse said:

Making up laws to go after political opponents is hardly a legal technicality.

It's not about the law, It's about the evidence needed. Apparently, assaulting the Capitol during the certification of the election results in order to "stop the steal" (😃) is not considered as enough evidence of obstruction by the SC.

And they are still guilty of breaking into the Capitol (and other charges, if any).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, novacova said:

Totally agree, stop the banana republic bs. The authoritarian criminal left has a historical record for using the law to go after their political opponents typically seen but not limited in the banana belt including countries like china, Russia and ideological states in the Middle East. What is fascinating is that those on the extreme left know it but lack any intestinal and mental fortitude to admit it.

Any ruling government can bend, fabricate, create ancillaries and contort constitutional law and go after their own citizens. So I ask again, who were the idiots that voted these criminals in and appointed criminals to the justice system?

More conspiracy theory B.S.! 😃

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, novacova said:

Really??? Good grief! Hopelessly incorrigible

Nothing conspiratorial about documented historical facts.

Lol! Every time someone from the right-wing commits an offense and gets caught, it's always the same whining: witch hunt, weaponized DOJ and similar B.S.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, riclag said:

The far left are so good at lies!

The world just witnessed the media & the dems biden decline lie at the debate!

Sure wish my side had a  Stalinist style propaganda machine !

activist pretending to be reporters spreading insurrection , when nobody , not one was charged!

Nancy Pelosi & her tribe of useful idiots will pay for her refusal to

use a NG presence.

The rub, only the left can protest & riot  and not be politicized!

methinks

Does that mean that Trump and his MAGA mob are good at telling lies?

Trump has proved that part while he was potus. 30,000 plus lies in 4 years, and you want him back as potus again? A serial liar, convicted criminal and convicted sex offender, and you truly believe he is the best that the gop has to offer?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Does that mean that Trump and his MAGA mob are good at telling lies?

Trump has proved that part while he was potus. 30,000 plus lies in 4 years, and you want him back as potus again? A serial liar, convicted criminal and convicted sex offender, and you truly believe he is the best that the gop has to offer?

I only want Trump as he seems to be the only one capable of defeating Biden, and Biden IMO is worse than Trump.

If Biden goes bybye I'd like to see DeSantis replace Trump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Biden is IMO a warmonger, a colluder in war crimes, an enabler of atrocities, likely to start WW3 and you truly believe he is the best that the Dems have to offer?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I only want Trump as he seems to be the only one capable of defeating Biden, and Biden IMO is worse than Trump.

If Biden goes bybye I'd like to see DeSantis replace Trump.

I am 80, 1 year younger than President Biden and 2 years older than EX president Trump. 

From my personal experience of being old and with few responsibilities other than my wife and son, IMHO they are both FAR TO old to be POTUS.

What the USA (and the world for that matter) is a mandatory politicians retirement age of 65 years old. If you are 65 in your next term in office you should not stand for re-election.

Having said that, surely neither President Biden or EX president Trump can be considered as the best that their respective parties have to offer.

It doesn't bother me if the candidates are black, white or any shade between, nor does it matter if the candidate is male or female, provided that they are both physically fit and mentally competent, as long as they are younger that 60 when first elected for only 1 term, or 56 so if they stand for a second term they will still be young enough to complete it.

Experience in government would be a plus.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am 80, 1 year younger than President Biden and 2 years older than EX president Trump. 

From my personal experience of being old and with few responsibilities other than my wife and son, IMHO they are both FAR TO old to be POTUS.

What the USA (and the world for that matter) is a mandatory politicians retirement age of 65 years old. If you are 65 in your next term in office you should not stand for re-election.

Having said that, surely neither President Biden or EX president Trump can be considered as the best that their respective parties have to offer.

It doesn't bother me if the candidates are black, white or any shade between, nor does it matter if the candidate is male or female, provided that they are both physically fit and mentally competent, as long as they are younger that 60 when first elected for only 1 term, or 56 so if they stand for a second term they will still be young enough to complete it.

Experience in government would be a plus.

What the USA needs, is a democratic presidential election.   Not a 2 party system, where 2 corrupt organizations, basically pick, groom, your only 2 option to vote for.

Thankfully, in the grand scheme of things, they are basically powerless to really harm the USA or the world.   Takes a bit more than just them to affect real change.   Even their 'executive orders' have a short expiration date.

They really do need the cooperation of the other 535 corrupt politicians, that the ignorant voters put in place, to do any real damage.   

The puppeteers are the real problem :coffee1:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Biden is IMO a warmonger, a colluder in war crimes, an enabler of atrocities, likely to start WW3 and you truly believe he is the best that the Dems have to offer?

Not sure if Biden is really aware of anything that he is doing and signing, he’s just a mailable empty shell being pushed and shoved by his abusive handlers. In all integrity, does anyone really believe that he has the mental capacity to calculate with critical foresight anything further than the next moment?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, novacova said:

Not sure if Biden is really aware of anything that he is doing and signing, he’s just a mailable empty shell being pushed and shoved by his abusive handlers. In all integrity, does anyone really believe that he has the mental capacity to calculate with critical foresight anything further than the next moment?

Some truth to that .

Looking at the anger he has displayed when talking about Trump , I think his hatred towards him extends from his handlers hatred! Its like many leftest on all the internet forums ,Trump lives in their syndrome!

methinks