Thai PM Faces Conflict Claims Over Real Estate Policy Change

webfact

1 hour ago, Mugi said:

They must pay 35% tax when they transfer money from abroad for buying a condo?

Depends if it is accumulated overseas income from the 1st January this year. There is no tax on the transfer of capital into Thailand.

I doubt many people have that much income in just 6 months.

1 hour ago, topt said:

Not that simplistic.First you currently have to be a tax resident - spend more than 179 days in Thailand in a calendar year.

Tax rates are tiered. It will depend on what those funds are - proven pre 2024 savings for example are not assessable.

savings in thailand since 2011, FCD account, converted to baht... 

I cannot buy anything...   bank with a big K  screwd me royally, pretend they cannot make an FET because I did this 10+ years ago and their computers, even head office, don't go more back in time, so no paper they can make for land department = no condo

not going to send it back and pay 25-35% on savings that maybe gave me 2% gross...

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, john donson said:

not going to send it back and pay 25-35% on savings that maybe gave me 2% gross...

If in cash here and you send it back and immediately remit the same amount back here then easy to prove that it is not income and therefore non assessable........

If you are not planning to buy a condo then its moot anyhow.......:unsure:

59 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

And your favoured military dictatorship was any different?

Yes, I liked Prayuth's government better than this one. I wouldn't use the D-word for it, but I often wonder if other current politicians have precisely that in mine.  Now, why did I prefer Prayuth?

Electricity prices were cheaper

Inflation was low

Immigration was stable, with no major changes

There was no remittance tax

There was no proposal for a worldwide income tax

Prayuth did a better job in foreign policy, while being pro China he walked the line between China and the US better than does the Shin government

Didn't have government regulations about mobile phones that could cause you to lose your number

While Prayuth was PM I never had a flood cover my first floor for two months as it did under the Shinawatras

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Yes, I liked Prayuth's government better than this one. I wouldn't use the D-word for it, but I often wonder if other current politicians have precisely that in mine.  Now, why did I prefer Prayuth?

Electricity prices were cheaper

Inflation was low

Immigration was stable, with no major changes

There was no remittance tax

There was no proposal for a worldwide income tax

Prayuth did a better job in foreign policy, while being pro China he walked the line between China and the US better than does the Shin government

Didn't have government regulations about mobile phones that could cause you to lose your number

While Prayuth was PM I never had a flood cover my first floor for two months as it did under the Shinawatras

OK. That's not an unreasonable list.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

In an attempt to distance himself from his business ties, he transferred all his 661 million shares in Sansiri to his daughter.

All he had to do was sell off his shares, pay huge Capitol gains tax. Then no conflict with his proposal. 

Now I'm wondering if daughter is subjected to gift tax, the excess of THB 20 million with a tax rate of 5%. If she immediately (vs 2025) paid, would that clear him from any conflict of interest? 

• Thumbs Up 1