Is the Hangover II the Thai version of Borat bringing shame to the country?

Mekmong MICK

28 minutes ago, Mekmong MICK said:

She went on to say how Thai people are ashamed at how their country is portrayed and it makes them look to be an impoverished sex-riddled land of no laws and corruption

She's probably right, I reckon it could be the reason why we have so many lowlife foreigners coming to Thailand these days. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

The beach is a good one set in Thailand about a bunch of silly farang thinking they've found paradise in a foreign country.. needless to say the true farang animal came out and it all went tits up in the end.. the only part where I felt it wasn’t realistic is that there were no ladyboys in sight, especially none in the company of the unwashed farang 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 2

1 minute ago, susanlea said:

Nobody in Thailand cares. The Phuket scene was filmed at Krabi.

Incorrect; my Thai girlfriend clearly cares so I'll take the word of a local over some nuffy farang.

And per your second sentence, this is the point, the movie grossly misrepresents Thailand

• Sad 5
  • Haha 1

Sounds like your girlfriend is with the side that basically ruined Thailand in the past decade + on top of that is sensitive for absolutely nothing. Otherwise; facts are facts, yes Thailand is a paradise for red light visiting people. But that is in local business even 10X as much, so what is she talking about? Ignoring truths etc? Has nothing to do with the movie.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, digbeth said:

The rooftop bar at Lebua hotel's milking the movie connection to this day

When I went, there was a security guard on the steps where they sat, stopping people sitting there for a re-enactment pic which was a bit annoying.

image.png.eb6c2de53b68201104862080dc85bc53.png

Great movie IMO, very under-rated. But yes, it doesn't paint Thailand or Thai people in a very good light. 

10 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

The missus wanted a movie night last night so I suggested we watch the Hangover II due to it being set in Thailand (my girlfriend is a local). Well, didn't this suggestion go down like a lead balloon. 

She went on to say how Thai people are ashamed at how their country is portrayed and it makes them look to be an impoverished sex-riddled land of no laws and corruption. It doesn't portray the joyful sensitive side of Thailand and the land of a million smiles. She also said it was disrespectful how they caught a speed boat from Bangkok to Phuket at the end without even a gps to navigate. 

Similar to this, Borat brought great national shame to Kazakhstan and its a crime to even watch the movie there, I think you can get 10 years imprisonment. It didn't showcase the true country and people and made the locals look like hillbilly plonkers.

As an Aussie, self depreciating humour is part of our culture so I totally missed the insensitivities when watching the Hangover II. But on reflection, I do see where the missus is coming from.

What do others think and is the Hangover II the Thai equivalent of Borat for local Thais?

Do you wear your "Rolex" watch while watching TV with the "missus?"

• Agree 1