Computers for the aged.

Gandtee

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

What's the general opinion of the benefit of old people using computers. I'm ninety and my wife for thirty seven years, complains that I spend too much time on my computer. My reply is that it keeps my mind active and of course the benefits of communicating with family and others. What do you think?

but your not getting any exercise at all,  mind you at ninety I would say you don't need a great deal of physical action either. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I'm up at 0545 and out for a short walk and basic upper body exercise to get the bits moving. I'm in and out of the kitchen all day that has two steps down to it, and the house is up ten steps. So during the day I'm doing step ups that people go to the gym for. Not complaining as I have no health problems other than getting old. Some of us are lucky enough to reach that point. Thanks to those that commented on a pretty inane subject.

do you enjoy a beer at ninety in the evening ?   just curious .... 

what's exactly will you be creating that requires a use of a proper computer as oppose to a tablet like an ipad where you can lounge around and read as opposed to sitting up on a desk

if you write memoirs or edit photos or enjoy tinkering away on the computer sure, 

I still build my own PC with multiple monitors and prefer them to phone screens. Compared to the newer generation that can do everything on their phones, I realize I could be seen like my parents' generation, who need everything printed out on paper to read.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

what's exactly will you be creating that requires a use of a proper computer as oppose to a tablet like an ipad where you can lounge around and read as opposed to sitting up on a desk

if you write memoirs or edit photos or enjoy tinkering away on the computer sure, 

I still build my own PC with multiple monitors and prefer them to phone screens. Compared to the newer generation that can do everything on their phones, I realize I could be seen like my parents' generation, who need everything printed out on paper to read.

My daughter treated me to a laptop with a separate keyboard and a monitor. The eyes are not what they were, so everything is comfortably large and clear. I enjoy the old British films and the American ones from a time when they spoke English I could understand. Marlon Brando is not exactly Cary Grant. 😉

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Gandtee said:

What's the general opinion of the benefit of old people using computers. I'm ninety and my wife for thirty seven years, complains that I spend too much time on my computer. My reply is that it keeps my mind active and of course the benefits of communicating with family and others. What do you think?

One of the benefits I am most happy about is being able to do my 90 report on line. At least I only have to go to Immigration once a year, for my retirement extension. After thirty seven years of doing it and living in the same place I'd have thought Immigration could have come up with an easier method for us long stayers. But....🫠

4 hours ago, Surasak said:

Life.jpg

Someone posted a video on Reddit of kids swinging over a river on a weeping willow tree, the branch snapped and the kid fell in the river - the general idea of the sub is that kids are stupid. I remember vividly daring mates and taking part in swinging over the lake on weeping willow branches, it was called fun! 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/3/2024 at 1:59 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I helped a few older people to use computers.

Especially email, looking up things on the internet, things like that.

Games are obviously also something to do. Strategy, reaction, whatever.

I think it's important for old people to know their limitations and the dangers on the internet.

I.e. don't work with banking apps or anything related to money when you don't know exactly what you are doing.

But there are also smaller risks.

A couple of years ago I read about a girl who complained that her father became Facebook member and then insisted to be a Facebook friend of his daughter. So far no problem.

The daughter was a little ashamed when her friends looked at her fathers Facebook page.

Her father liked a certain football club, and he liked steak and grilled chicken. He also liked girls with big tits and barely legal and some other sites like that.

His daughter was not impressed.

So, whatever you do, make sure you know what you are doing. 

You made me laugh , are you sure you are not quoting a personal experience ? Similar to asking for a friend 555

2 hours ago, superal said:

You made me laugh, are you sure you are not quoting a personal experience ? Similar to asking for a friend 555

I never used facebook. That is one way to avoid those mistakes. 

Another possible problem with people who are not so familiar with computers is the browsing history (only accessible on the user's PC). Some people have a very interesting history. 

Edited by OneMoreFarang

If one develops severe disabilities, computers or smart speakers/displays are a convenient means to stay in contact with other people. Refusing to get some basic experience when getting older ( (as I see with elderly people living around me in Germany) is simply stupid.

14 minutes ago, Old Nomad said:

Refusing to get some basic experience when getting older ( (as I see with elderly people living around me in Germany) is simply stupid.

To be fair, it's not easy for anybody who never used computers in their life.

Maybe 30 years ago I trained young people how to use Windows and WinWord. Click here to do this, double-click there to do that. Right click to do something else. Click on that icon in the top right corner, no, the other one, .....

For people who use computer since years, or all their life, it is difficult to understand how alien computers are for old people.

Years later, I was computer teacher for a 70 year old guy who was previously big boss in a large company. Her had secretaries and never had to use a PC. After a while, he learned the basics. But it takes time.

And, as usual, people learn best if they have a good motivation to learn, i.e. keeping in contact with friends and family. But it's still not easy.

• Like 1