Alcohol Sales Ban To Be Lifted at Thai Airports on Key Buddhist Holidays

webfact

18 minutes ago, sungod said:
22 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I thought that alcohol sales were banned on trains and ferries some years ago?

It was after some poor lass was raped on a train. Nothing to do with Buddhist holidays

I believe you are correct.

I agree. Perhaps someone who uses long distance trains can advise?

7 minutes ago, thaimacky said:

I'm still waiting for the announced reduction of the wine import tax to boost the tourism and hospitality sector.

They have a temporary amnesia regarding that.

Perhaps the temporal will be replaced by the eternal, it is also possible, TIT.

• Agree 1

Doing this to increase tourism? Thing is as soon as you get out of the airport which is what basically everyone does on arrival you will not be able to buy alcohol on Buddhist holidays. How can anyone think this will boost tourism? More emptyheaded idiots at work. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, thaimacky said:

I'm still waiting for the announced reduction of the wine import tax to boost the tourism and hospitality sector.

Correct! "Waiting for Godot"?*

* Waiting for Godot (/ˈɡɒdoʊ/ ⓘ GOD-oh[1]) is a play by Irish playwright Samuel Beckett in which two characters, Vladimir (Didi) and Estragon (Gogo), engage in a variety of discussions and encounters while awaiting the titular Godot, who never arrives.

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I thought that alcohol sales were banned on trains and ferries some years ago?

It was after some poor lass was raped on a train. Nothing to do with Buddhist holidays.

Does that mean that we can buy alcohol on trains on the Buddha days but not any other time?  :wacko:

Yes, some poor girl was raped and killed by a rail employee who had a history of drug and alcohol problems (He raped her then threw her off the train)

So what did the Rail Company do? Ban drink sales on all trains thereby punishing the passengers! Yes indeed - TIT! 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I agree. Perhaps someone who uses long distance trains can advise?

Certainly not allowed on Koh Chang Ferries, or to consume it at anytime. Just goes to show the Govt has no Idea about naff all.

A quick google search tells me Alcohol was banned on Trains in July 2014. But hey lets all have a committee meeting at 10k each.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Certainly not allowed on Koh Chang Ferries, or to consume it at anytime. Just goes to show the Govt has no Idea about naff all.

A quick google search tells me Alcohol was banned on Trains in July 2014. But hey lets all have a committee meeting at 10k each.

And no doubt they'll serve alcohol at the meeting 😆

• Haha 1

How will this increase tourism? If anything it will annoy tourists even more, can get a drink at the airport but then everywhere is closed when you hit the streets, and the only place you can have a drink after a long flight happens to charge 3-4 times more for the same bottle at a regular shop

• Like 1

There has to be  some ironic form of illogic in this. Was there not the suggestion to close Duty Free shopping for arrivals in Thailand? So where is the expectation that lifting alcohol restrictions in airports is  somehow a bonus ?

Do travel weary people desire alcohol ?

Or have I missed something?