Why is Thailand so terrible at sport?

Yellow Fever

With the Olympics coming up it got me thinking.. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Thailand win a medal.. I don’t think I’ve seen them do well in any world recognised sport, all they seem to have is Muay Thai but mma has moved past that and they don’t have any ufc fighters..

for all the hate farang get from Thai’s they seem to be a hell of a lot better at sport than thai’s

anyone have any clue as to why they stink at sport? I can see them

having a massive advantage eventually if they let trannies compete in women’s events I suppose. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 7
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

With the Olympics coming up it got me thinking.. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Thailand win a medal.. I don’t think I’ve seen them do well in any world recognised sport, all they seem to have is Muay Thai but mma has moved past that and they don’t have any ufc fighters..

for all the hate farang get from Thai’s they seem to be a hell of a lot better at sport than thai’s

anyone have any clue as to why they stink at sport? I can see them

having a massive advantage eventually if they let trannies compete in women’s events I suppose. 

Fantastic Thread, well done OP.

Other than muay Thai and occasionally golf, the Thai's have failed to reach their sporting potential. They should focus more on swimming given their proximity to the sea.

It's also difficult when the infrastructure is on par with Adelaide 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 5
  • Agree 1

It all stems from grass roots and government investment and that doesnt happen in Thailand, I dont see schools with football fields, the junior school I went to had 3 football pitches, The only time Thai football had any success was when Peter Whithe was the manager but hat was paid for by the English FA after he left, they dropped off.

King Power who own Leicester City football club maybe had big ideas to develop Thai footballers, up till a couple of years ago they brought 45 Thai lads over to England, as far as I know not one made the grade. 

Only one was named in the line up but never got a game, 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

I think it's a fair question.

Thai population is greater than UK or France, so that should represent the potential talent pool.

But I think those that point to lack of youth development programs are probably right.

I was born on the north side of Manchester even back in the late 50's it was a hotbed of talent, every school I can think of had football pitches then you had the local council ones, 5 doors from where I lived there was a pitch owned by a company next to it we as kids could use it, even at Junior's we had a school team, in secondary every year had a team, then which ever house you was in had a team, then you had the boys clubs every area had one, if you are old enough the most famous names to come out of there were Nobby Stiles and Brian Kidd, 

I guess the latest name would be Kobbie Mainoo played for a well known youth team, in North Manchester, 

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, cdemundo said:

I think it's a fair question.

Thai population is greater than UK or France, so that should represent the potential talent pool.

But I think those that point to lack of youth development programs are probably right.

Thailand has the same number of Olympic medals as India yet India has a population of 1 Billion.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Thais have sports days at school but don't actually play any. It's not compulsory. 

I beg to differ at our local school the kids tend to spend more time playing sport than inside a classroom. They have Outside undercover volley ball. cricket nets, netball/basket ball, courts, and now a brand new full-size Astro-turfed flood lit football pitch. and this is a village school.

6 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:

Thailand has the same number of Olympic medals as India yet India has a population of 1 Billion.

That brings up another question I have wondered about.

Since India and China have the largest populations, why don't they dominate sport?

Especially football (and a close second basketball) because there isn't a lot of expense for equipment.

I'm guessing it's the same answer. No youth development.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I beg to differ at our local school the kids tend to spend more time playing sport than inside a classroom. They have Outside undercover volley ball. cricket nets, netball/basket ball, courts, and now a brand new full-size Astro-turfed flood lit football pitch. and this is a village school.

Possibly your local school is not typical of Thai schools?

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

So do I. I have 3 teenage children and this week was 'Sports Week'. My kids went to school dressed for sport but never actually took part in any.

So your kids are not into sport, why did they not play any ? the kids at our school are also playing after school hours. 

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

The Philippines with nearly double the Thia population of Thailand----in its history at the Olympic games has --how many Gold   == 1

Could the answer be--- because India and Philippines hate Farangs more then ...Thailand.........:w00t:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1