Chaos in Pattaya: Motorbike taxi drivers tarnish tourist hotspot

webfact

Just now, JimHuaHin said:

It is not just Pattaya, the same applies in any area with a high proportion of (foreign) tourists.

Until the higher authorities do something about the various "marfia" groups controlling these "taxi" groups, nothing will change ... but ....

TIT and most Thais know that the "bosses" of various marfia groups are in government and parliament.

I wonder how much this does actually impact tourism....

I'm considering a visit to Turkey as a stop-over on the way to the UK.

I've been reading some threads about the rip-offs there and am re-evaluating if I can really be bothered dealing with the BS's while wanting to relax - seems as though I have to be alert all the time against scammers and I really can't be bothered with that when wanting to just chill and see a few sights for a couple of days.

I wonder how many people re-evaluate their visit to Thailand due to similar issues.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Disturbing reports have surfaced, highlighting assaults on foreign tourists and harassment of individuals mistaken for ride-hailing service drivers. These altercations have frequently escalated into heated verbal confrontations and even physical violence.

Life time bans for infringements... stop the small fines, they don't achieve anything.

• Like 1

ANOTHER meeting with these guys and gals ?

The previous one was less than 1 week ago.

Seems all those meetings just don't help a f....  😁 

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Maybe its more women are complaining..... Btw women, just a heads up, nobody signals in Thailand. 

There was an incident recently between Karen and an Indian Taylor. 

Now this is a recipe for disaster, it ended with a slap, now Karen is seeking compensation. 😂

Taylor is an unusual name for an Indian.

But i agree with his principles.Most farang ladies need a slap every now and then nowadays.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Love it, Brilliant... nice try !!...   her first name (Mrs Bedi) was never released in any of the articles - I enjoyed the back-pedal attempt though.

That said, you did touch on a possible reality... she was arguing with the tailor and possibly behaving like a karen... there is also the possibility that this was also cultural as the name suggests the lady in question may have been of Indian origin (and unlikely to be called Karen)...  all she had to do was walk away if she didn't like something - BUT.. that does not condone the behavior of the tailor driver in an way.

The bigger issue here is one we all know about - Thai males (although the tailor was unlikely to be a Thai male) in area's of high tourists footfall have a reputation for being very 'thin-skinned' and get upset and react to the slightest of slights - we know not to argue, but to walk away because of this - this is potentially damaging to tourism. 

Why is she (Karen)  not allowed to make the point that the make taxi man was out of order cutting in front and making a dangerous left them in front of her, do we have to put up with there poor skills without commenting. 

Twice in the last year I have had grab riders sat on my bonnet and both times my camera got the damage repaired, I am somewhat proud of my achievement beating the grab riders and the police who on arrival with no facts told me to pay up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

It is not just Pattaya, the same applies in any area with a high proportion of (foreign) tourists.

Until the higher authorities do something about the various "marfia" groups controlling these "taxi" groups, nothing will change ... but ....

TIT and most Thais know that the "bosses" of various marfia groups are in government and parliament.

I'm shocked. 

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Life time bans for infringements... stop the small fines, they don't achieve anything.

Makes good reading for the millions who are contemplating a  short vaccation

14 minutes ago, proton said:

I don't think it's possible to tarnish the reputation of Pattaya, attracts the worst type of foreigners and Thais. Despite the decades of pretending to develop it into a family resort, or 'top tourist destination' it remains famous worldwide as a town with thousands of prostitutes and tacky bars. As such it's full of crime, greed and scams.

Correct....reap what you sow !

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, smedly said:

well there used to be a price structure that win drivers had to display - not any more, 1km 30baht and 10baht for every extra km, now they want 60baht minimum (1km), at least with bolt the price is agreed before the journey, I had a trip of less than 1km a couple of weeks ago (random win driver) and he started a shouting match when I handed him 40baht, they are ### scam artists, I try to use the same regular drivers for the same trips been doing it for years, only when I engage a stranger is there a problem when they constanty try to rip me of with ridiculous fares 

you cannot walk 1 km by yourself ?

8 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Are you a Karen?

Stop bothering me. 

Probably a Biden voter...you can't take them seriously.🤣

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

In response to the growing concerns, Banglamung District Chief Weerakit Manarojkit convened an urgent meeting yesterday, July 4 to tackle the escalating issues. According to regulations implemented in 2020, Banglamung district boasts 809 registered motorcycle taxi stands and 4,575 motorbike taxi drivers. However, a significant number of drivers and vehicles remain unregistered, sparking demands for stricter regulation and enforcement.

Jamlonglak Khunwat, head of the Chon Buri Provincial Transport Office, Banglamung branch, acknowledged the ongoing efforts to register motorcycle taxis and public motorcycle drivers but admitted that turnout has been disappointingly low

So sack him and employ someone who can do the job.

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile in Vietnam you just book a grab, and a motorbike taxi would cost you peanuts, to go anywhere. Even the infamous hawkers there are still half the price of a general one in Phuket or Pattaya etc.

I'm pretty sure it has everything to do with many travellers now starting in Vietnam, to then visit Thailand, and simply not accepting it thus complaining more. I don't believe there is any increase, it always was a mess. Same reason most backpackers do a alcohol break once getting in TH, it was way cheaper in VN and they already drank too much there = most bars empty.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

How many of the unregistered four-wheeled vehicles above have a working meter?  My guess is 0%.  Isn't there a national, legal requirement to have one?  If so, why has it never been enforced here?

Laws in Thailand are sporadically enforced at the best of times and has always been the case because of vested interests...

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There are two points here worth making, number one is nobody can do anything to tarnish the image of Pattaya more than it's already been tarnished, and number two the motorcycle taxis, tuk tuks, and car taxis have mafias that are far more powerful than the police or the army. They would appear to be virtually untouchable. 

Amen to that!  Pattaya has always been a rather 'seedy' place.  Seems to have gotten even worse in recent years.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Maybe its more women are complaining..... Btw women, just a heads up, nobody signals in Thailand. 

There was an incident recently between Karen and an Indian Taylor. 

Now this is a recipe for disaster, it ended with a slap, now Karen is seeking compensation. 😂

Really? The Indian tailor is named Taylor?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Banglamung District Chief Weerakit Manarojkit convened an urgent meeting yesterday, July 4 to tackle the escalating issues

The only thing to come out of these meetings is the date & time of the next meeting.

• Like 1

In Banglamung, where tourists abound,

Trouble and chaos were found.

Taxi fights did ensue,

With violence in view,

As solutions and fines were laid down.

The district chief gathered the crew,

To figure out just what to do.

With points to deduct,

And rules to construct,

They hoped to prevent the next brew.

A taxi man fled from his bout,

In Phuket, he left with a shout.

With stabbings and clashes,

And frequent backlashes,

It's a mess they all want to sort out.

Two women sought justice with pride,

Assaulted on a taxi ride.

With complaints on the rise,

They reached for the skies,

Demanding that wrongs be belied.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Almer said:

Why is she (Karen)  not allowed to make the point that the make taxi man was out of order cutting in front and making a dangerous left them in front of her,

Why? you ask...   I would have though that the recent stories are a perfect example of why.

But to spell it out...   showing annoyance and complaining at another driver is likely to escalate a situation.

(BTW: The word Karen was used in the description of a different incident when a woman was arguing with a tailor and received a slap).

2 hours ago, Almer said:

do we have to put up with there poor skills without commenting. 

Sadly - Yes you do.. or risk facing conflict with an unhinged  Thai male who may be carrying a weapon (consider stories of years gone past... foriegner attacked by taxi driver with Machete over a 10 baht fare difference (or something like that)... 

Thats not to suggest we should be meek door mats - but there is a time a place and a manner in which to show 'disagreement' - shouting at another person is not it.

2 hours ago, Almer said:

Twice in the last year I have had grab riders sat on my bonnet and both times my camera got the damage repaired, I am somewhat proud of my achievement beating the grab riders and the police who on arrival with no facts told me to pay up. 

Thats good, but I'm sure you handled it differently than shooting off your mouth. 

Thats not to say people who are cut up are wrong to verbalise their annoyance or complaint, however, we all know the potential result here. 

Even so, I am sometimes guilty of papping my horn etc... on occasion I see how that has visibly angered the other driver as they become more erratic.

The main rule here is keep calm.... We can't re-educed all the bad drivers out there so there is no point getting involved.

Edited by richard_smith237

"However, a significant number of drivers and vehicles remain unregistered, sparking demands for stricter regulation and enforcement."

So get the RTP to do their jobs! (Sorry, that popular topic of brown envelopes has just sprung into my mind for some reason!)

• Agree 1

I remember when licensed motorbike taxis had to have yellow number plates that ensured you they were legal and had insurance. Havn’t seen any since the covid pandemic finished. 🤷🏼

• Like 1

There is far too many of them, same as the baht buses, halving the amount of these methods of transport in the city would be a good first step!

5 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

The mere existence of motorbike taxis and tuktuks marks Thailand as a third world country

I think the electric tuktuk of Muvmi are great (in bkk), low price, no noise, not too fast, well trained and a great option besides Grap, taxis not starting meters and motomafia

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why? you ask...   I would have though that the recent stories are a perfect example of why.

But to spell it out...   showing annoyance and complaining at another driver is likely to escalate a situation.

(BTW: The word Karen was used in the description of a different incident when a woman was arguing with a tailor and received a slap).

Sadly - Yes you do.. or risk facing conflict with an unhinged  Thai male who may be carrying a weapon (consider stories of years gone past... foriegner attacked by taxi driver with Machete over a 10 baht fare difference (or something like that)... 

Thats not to suggest we should be meek door mats - but there is a time a place and a manner in which to show 'disagreement' - shouting at another person is not it.

Thats good, but I'm sure you handled it differently than shooting off your mouth. 

Thats not to say people who are cut up are wrong to verbalise their annoyance or complaint, however, we all know the potential result here. 

Even so, I am sometimes guilty of papping my horn etc... on occasion I see how that has visibly angered the other driver as they become more erratic.

The main rule here is keep calm.... We can't re-educed all the bad drivers out there so there is no point getting involved.

You are right, when I first moved here I was a bit of a hot head, and I was taking  offence at the ridiculously aggressive driving on the Samui, when I lived there. I nearly got in some serious altercations a couple of times, and I realized after a while that I needed to calm down, not take other drivers quite as seriously, and just be more relaxed, far more defensive in my driving, and far less offended. 

That attitude has really paid dividends as I am much calmer these days and very rarely am I offended by what many numskulls do on the road. 

Edited by spidermike007

11 hours ago, smedly said:

well there used to be a price structure that win drivers had to display - not any more, 1km 30baht and 10baht for every extra km, now they want 60baht minimum (1km), at least with bolt the price is agreed before the journey, I had a trip of less than 1km a couple of weeks ago (random win driver) and he started a shouting match when I handed him 40baht, they are ### scam artists, I try to use the same regular drivers for the same trips been doing it for years, only when I engage a stranger is there a problem when they constanty try to rip me of with ridiculous fares 

Hmm.. what city are you in? In pattaya I have been told to pay 100 baht just to travel a half kilometer. It depends on the time of day and where you are coming from. But I have never been able to get a motorcycle taxi for 40 baht there

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, webfact said:

jeopardising the area’s status as a top tourist destination

This is terrible .....  don't they realize they are tarnishing

Pattaya's World Class #1 Golden Family Friendly Resort Loving Peaceful reputation status and Walking street's World Class Premier 5 star Golden Class Family Friendly Best World Top #1 entertainment destination as chosen by TAT.

Don't they know this reputation could be questioned because of their naughty behaviour.   :drunk:

Edited by steven100
  • Haha 1