Ford Ranger vs Toyota Revo

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The Ford looks a nicer car, the Toyota will probably be easier to sell later.

You are right on the money there!

The Ford IS like a car , the Toyota is a light truck.

But - I bought my Father in law an XLT Supercab Ranger in 2019, we sold it after 4 years, because he hardly used it (he thought it was too special to drive as his normal car!) - only 7000ks on it. We lost 50% on it...    However , I buy cars to enjoy now - not to make or save money later!  

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, G Rex said:

Yep.   The old slow one!   Same donk as the wildtrak. 

I get my speed thrills from my big bikes now , and memories of my Shelby Super snake I had in Oz before I moved here.

That must have been good.

Speed thrills have the added scare factor on big bikes here with the drivers pulling out in front of you.

I love to blast off road on mx bikes here where only I am to blame if I come off.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

with the drivers pulling out in front of you.

don't forget the dogs....lol

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Thanks for all the comments/advice.

Had a Fortuner for many years and earlier had a Ford pickup, both were decent. 

This is proving a tough decision to make. Been to the showrooms but not test driven yet. The Ford looks a nicer car, the Toyota will probably be easier to sell later.

buy the toyota... but there is a new one coming so keep this in mind.

They are both a bit long in the tooth for my money. 

Ford Rager on Gen 3 platform since 2011. 

Toyota Revo/Vigo/Hilux on Gen 8 platform since 2015

Isuzu D-Max on Gen 3 platform since 2019

Were it me, I'd go with the Isuzu or wait for the Gen 4 Ranger or the Gen 10 Hilux. 

5 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

I went through the same debate last year. I'd love to buy a Ranger, it looks great, But it's a Ford and it's not as reliable as Toyota. I just sold my 10 year old Vigo, it had 160k on the clock and never once took a sick day or demanded a replacement part, not once. Plus I got 50% of my money back in trade in on a new Revo......which is going to be just as reliable, I know this. If there's one thing I want from my wheels it's knowing that they will start every time, not stop unless told to do so and not take sick days, Toyota does that for me.

"But it's a Ford and it's not as reliable as Toyota".

What is your experience of the Ranger's reliability from your ownership?

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

They are both a bit long in the tooth for my money. 

Ford Rager on Gen 3 platform since 2011. 

Toyota Revo/Vigo/Hilux on Gen 8 platform since 2015

Isuzu D-Max on Gen 3 platform since 2019

Were it me, I'd go with the Isuzu or wait for the Gen 4 Ranger or the Gen 10 Hilux. 

ford Ranger 2011 to 2021 T6 platform code named P375.

Ford Ranger 2021 to current T6.2 platform codenames P703. 

the centre section of the chassis are common between the two as well as the core body shell.

Ford Ranger T6.2 is a significant upgrade from T6.

Ford Ranger T6.2 will be with us for the next 8yrs, thats why it is called the "Next Gen".

Gen 9 toyota Hilux will be here within 2 yrs.

Edited by Ralf001

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The one that wasn't fitted to the Ranger?  Yes, they did.

6spd auto issues fitted to the 2.0 Ranger is well documented.

Lead frame I beleive it is called.

32 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"But it's a Ford and it's not as reliable as Toyota".

What is your experience of the Ranger's reliability from your ownership?

Poor, the wife's Ranger was in the dealer for unscheduled repair, three times in four years. Turbo charger problems, transmission problems and rear end knock issue. Why?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Poor, the wife's Ranger was in the dealer for unscheduled repair, three times in four years. Turbo charger problems, transmission problems and rear end knock issue. Why?

"Why?"

Why do you think?  Because I'm interested and the subject is Revo/Vigo v Ranger and your post suggested real world experience, that's why.  Why?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

I would not even consider a ford over a Toyota. Even if you paid me to take the ford I still prob would not do it. 

That is a bit extreme
Just give me a free raptor i don't need the money

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Didn't that have the 10-speed auto?

2.0 Bi-Turbo - 10sp.

2.0 single turbo - 6sp.

OP is not asking about bi-turbo models.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, kwak250 said:

That is a bit extreme
Just give me a free raptor i don't need the money

Fords are piles of crap. Fords are akin to our taxes, we pay for the money to ultimately be used against us 

• Sad 1

On 7/8/2024 at 8:34 AM, JBChiangRai said:

You need to test drive them, one of those two drives superbly, one of them has a noisy engine.

That's because you are used to EV's now...........😝

But, would love to know which diesel pick-up doesn't have a noisy...............😉

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, transam said:

That's because you are used to EV's now...........😝

But, would love to know which diesel pick-up doesn't have a noisy...............😉

I'll give you a clue, it's the one more likely to breakdown.

In all seriousness, you really MUST drive them, it's foolish to buy an expensive car without a test drive.

• Confused 1

You may want to think about the tax per year, it changed 2 or 4 door under2 lt is a lot cheaper per year, Road Tax now is on engine size.. 

Toyota Hilux Revo ROCCO is 2.4 or 2.8 lt so over double the road tax every year !!

Re Ford. our 2019 Ranger XLT was trouble free, sold last year  with 388,000 km,  the New Gen Ranger XLT is even better, taxed last week = 1 year old + 98.000km trouble free comfortable motoring

Test drive and see what you like best

18 hours ago, Hummin said:

Reliability same as Toyota.

Mitsubishi as reliable as a Toyota? I don't think so. How many taxi drivers drive Mitsubishi? Not many, and not for long.

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

Mitsubishi as reliable as a Toyota? I don't think so. How many taxi drivers drive Mitsubishi? Not many, and not for long.

I do not think the differences is that much, and I might choose one or the other because of knownledge of the local dealers reputation. 

Im sure there is other studies have different results, but just to show there is minor differences between those two brands in statitics. Surprised to find Chevrolet up there, and Kia.

Kia (152 PP100) ranks highest in the mass market segment for a third consecutive year, followed by Buick (159 PP100), Chevrolet (162 PP100), Mitsubishi (167 PP100) and Toyota (168 PP100). However Highlander recieves most awards

Here you find 2023011a.webp.23d7710217c3b963dad833ab2a6518f5.webp

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2023-us-vehicle-dependability-studyvds

7 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I do not think the differences is that much, and I might choose one or the other because of knownledge of the local dealers reputation. 

Im sure there is other studies have different results, but just to show there is minor differences between those two brands in statitics. Surprised to find Chevrolet up there, and Kia.

Kia (152 PP100) ranks highest in the mass market segment for a third consecutive year, followed by Buick (159 PP100), Chevrolet (162 PP100), Mitsubishi (167 PP100) and Toyota (168 PP100). However Highlander recieves most awards

Here you find 2023011a.webp.23d7710217c3b963dad833ab2a6518f5.webp

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2023-us-vehicle-dependability-studyvds

JD Power ranks first impressions, not long term reliability. I'll trust consumer reports any day over any of the magazines, auto clubs, etc. 

Here's their latest ranking.

Screenshot_20240709_140323_Kiwi Browser.jpg

4 minutes ago, gargamon said:

JD Power ranks first impressions, not long term reliability. I'll trust consumer reports any day over any of the magazines, auto clubs, etc. 

Here's their latest ranking.

Screenshot_20240709_140323_Kiwi Browser.jpg

Tesla above Audi and Wolkswagon? 

I would found a test that did not involve el cars 😉 Anyway, as said, Im not going to be bitching about which car is best, and we can find tests that dissaprove each and ones links. Resale in Thailand Im sure Toyota is a better buy and keeps it value longer than Mizu