Honda to cease productions in Ayutthaya by 2025, EV competition

59 minutes ago, tpiety2 said:

PEA is making a killing on plug-in EVs. Electric costs here are very high. I wonder if EVs are 

cheaper than ICE gas or diesels?

Relative to where ???

Here's a comparison, if driving (BEV)  locally 20k kms a year...

... PTT 91 - ฿54K  a year

... Solar - we have, so 'free'

... if using PEA at home, ฿12k a year

Comparing MG ZS ICEV vs EV, and I owned / own both.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You certainly don't drive much.  Petrol cost us about ฿3-4k a month.

฿1000 a month, in our last ICEV would get us 400 kms, maybe.

The amount driving you do, I would think so.

I don't need to drive a lot why would I, I mainly go shopping not galivanting around all day, most places for me are only 15 min away anyway. Beaches, bars/pubs, Supermarkets. 

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Evs are for sheeple who buy the hype and only drive to Big C and 7-11..

Sheeple here, and I admit, I do drive to 7-11 quite a bit ... but this is where they have been located this year alone ... :cheesy:

2024 so far.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I don't need to drive a lot why would I, I mainly go shopping not galivanting around all day, most places for me are only 15 min away anyway. Beaches, bars/pubs, Supermarkets. 

Same for me actually, as my daily, also unnecessary driving, is only about 5k kms a year, since necessities (Makro) are only 5 minutes away.  Daily is actually unnecessary, (to the park and or surf) as could actually do the necessary shopping once every week or 2.

But we like exploring, locally and points beyond, so put on about 22.5k kms a year.

Edited by KhunLA

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Same for me actually, as my daily, also unnecessary driving, is only about 5k kms a year, since necessities (Makro) are only 5 minutes away.  Daily is actually unnecessary, (to the park and or surf) as could actually do the necessary shopping once every week or 2.

But we like exploring, locally and points beyond, so put on about 22.5k kms a year.

That's about twice my yearly KMS plus my wife works 12 hrs. a day, her choice, I may go to Pattaya one a year to see a friend, or Rayong, but I do that over a few days, on the same trip, I live on KC, and don't really need to go anywhere else, in the past I backpacked from the North of Thailand right down to Singapore, without flying so seen most of it all before, except never been or wanted to go to Pooket. 

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Weight of a real 18650 cell =47gm

30Ah = 130 cells

130 x 47 = 6.1Kg

If it weighs less than 6Kg it's fake.

PS. I suspect your 20ah battery is also fake and at best 17ah as I've never seen a casing that will take more than 65 cells (13s x 5p, so 5x 3400ma= 17ah)

If we examine a real advert ....

https://shopee.co.th/♛สำหรับจักรยานไฟฟ้า-48v-20Ah-28Ah-40Ah-58Ah18650-Li-ion-Battery-Pack-13S2P-1000w-and-54.6V-2A-Charging-i.845819876.25850441781

Says 18650 cells 13s2p so in reality 2 x3400ma = 6.8ah at best if using genuine Lithium batteries.

But they're probably using fake 18650 batteries claiming 9000ma (which only really have 1000ma capacity) so 2ah.

Not to mention the fake batteries usually only last a few charges and not the 800-1000 charges of the real batteries.

Doesn't have 18650s, and uses 21700s

Size not a problem, since DIY, and no need to fit in a case

image.png.9a81fb1f29ba8d90f164d6d8844536ec.png

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The Chinese cheap EV revolution is under-cutting the Japanese markets.

When they are gone China will dictate the auto market

The new BYD facility at Rayong has initially employed 5000 workers set to rise to 10,000 by the end of the year, every aspect of those cars will be made in Thailand, mostly in Rayong, the market will be flooded with BYD cars. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

The Japanese have dictated the Thai auto market for decades, they have been complacent.  They should have embraced EV's.

They did not anticipate that the Thais would not protect them and would drop their trousers when the Chinese came calling. 

Again, you cannot trust Thais in business and this has been exemplified at corporate level again and again over many years see Carlsberg, Pepsi, Walter Bau, and more recently Stark Corporation. 

• Agree 1

This present Chinese EV idiocy is all going to end in tears.  I give it 5 years before it dawns on the lemmings that they have been dupped and ripped off. 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

The voice of experience? 

Teslas don’t need to be serviced and so don’t have a servicing requirement.

My BYD has servicing requirement but it’s free for 8 years! 

I watched the last service and it consisted of checking the torque setting on some of the bolts.

My 2 EVs run a full system check every time you switch them on and report on any problems. So far the only problem being reported is low tire pressure, a problem I was able to fix myself without

Yes a lot of the service consists of updates and can be all done online.No need for a mechanic any longer.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, LennyW said:

The new BYD facility at Rayong has initially employed 5000 workers set to rise to 10,000 by the end of the year, every aspect of those cars will be made in Thailand, mostly in Rayong, the market will be flooded with BYD cars. 

Even the batteries? 

30 minutes ago, LennyW said:

They will rue the day they ever got involved with the Chinese and those that jumped on the EV band wagon and bought that rubbish will weep.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

Even the batteries? 

Yes. Many components, or raw materials are already made in Rayong for the existing huge production facilities for many brands of vehicles.

Edited by LennyW
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

They will rue the day they ever got involved with the Chinese and those that jumped on the EV band wagon and bought that rubbish will weep.  

Indeed. The Thais love their finance, but unlikely they understand that when they have paid off their EV and want to renew there will be no trade in, no resale value, and they have to start again! These EV's need to be treated as a consumable, and they need to prepare themselves financially for that, but very unlikely most of them will have thought about that.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, LennyW said:

Indeed. The Thais love their finance, but unlikely they understand that when they have paid off their EV and want to renew there will be no trade in, no resale value, and they have to start again! These EV's need to be treated as a consumable, and they need to prepare themselves financially for that, but very unlikely most of them will have thought about that.

Absolutely right 

59 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Seen a few around this area already... certainly going to be competition for the likes of Toyota Yaris, Mazdas, Susuki etc

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

A well thought out post, justified by great references with copious studies.

Currently secondhand values on EV's are no different to their petrol counterparts.  Worked example on the Electric Vehicles in Thailand thread.

There is a vast difference between worked examples and actual sales.

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

And there is a vast difference between worked examples (taken from one2car) and unjustified idiotic speculative opinions.

One2car shows asking prices and not sale prices undermining the methodology.

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

One2car shows asking prices and not sale prices undermining the methodology.

unless both you compares ICE and EV are from the same seller on one2car

21 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

unless both you compares ICE and EV are from the same seller on one2car

That makes no sense to me. 

In many cases the vehicle in question may have been advertised yet remain unsold.  It is daft to base a "worked example" on such prices.

A lot of EV pricing on one2car is pretty speculative.  As one example it is quite common for grey import Teslas to be advertised secondhand for more than the new price of an officially imported car.

I didn't bother searching for the "worked example" but I suspect it is not your work.

1 minute ago, In the jungle said:

That makes no sense to me. 

In many cases the vehicle in question may have been advertised yet remain unsold.  It is daft to base a "worked example" on such prices.

A lot of EV pricing on one2car is pretty speculative.  As one example it is quite common for grey import Teslas to be advertised secondhand for more than the new price of an officially imported car.

I didn't bother searching for the "worked example" but I suspect it is not your work.

You should find it on the Electric Vehicles in Thailand thread. It was my work actually, and IIRC compared a few vehicles.

There is also the experience of a couple of us who have sold EV’s, I have sold 2 and another member here has sold 1.  We didn’t notice any different depreciation.  Well, to be clear I did on one of them, it lost only 10% over 2 years, but that was an unusual case.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You should find it on the Electric Vehicles in Thailand thread. It was my work actually, and IIRC compared a few vehicles.

There is also the experience of a couple of us who have sold EV’s, I have sold 2 and another member here has sold 1.  We didn’t notice any different depreciation.  Well, to be clear I did on one of them, it lost only 10% over 2 years, but that was an unusual case.

No point in looking at the "worked example" when it is so obviously flawed.

And praying in aid a sample size of three with one obvious outlier doesn't really further your argument.

But well done you for unloading your Porsche Taycan without getting seriously burned.  So many people have got financially wrecked on that car. 

On 7/9/2024 at 3:18 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Another manufacturer having to down-size, fed up with taxes, continual threats of increased wages and utilities and competition from the 'favoured' Chinese. An unstable. 'flip flopping' government does not give them confidence either.

How can a business do a three or a five year plan here now.

People forget that many large companies came to Thailand because of low costs and incentives.

According to Bloomburg, there were 500 Chinese electric car manufacturers in China in 2019. After fierce competition, only 100 manufacturers remained by 2023. According to Wired, as many as 300 manufacturers, both domestic and international, were offering electric vehicles in China in 2023.

They need to dump their products somewhere. 

23 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Speculation.

Studies have shown the average battery will outlast the car.

BYD's have an 8 year servicing and warranty.  That's plenty of time for a non-dealer network to develop.

Since ICE cars are typically still on the road and performing as intended 20 years after being built, and since EVs have not been around for 20 years, it is difficult not to draw the conclusions that such studies are based on theoretical data from the manufacturers of EVs.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Speculation.

Studies have shown the average battery will outlast the car.

BYD's have an 8 year servicing and warranty.  That's plenty of time for a non-dealer network to develop.

Since ICE cars are typically still on the road and performing as intended 20 years after being built, and since EVs have not been around for 20 years, it is difficult not to draw the conclusions that such studies are based on theoretical data from the manufacturers of EVs.

47 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

MG have faith in their batteries, I enclose a post from @vinny41 on another thread...;

Starting in Thailand, MG has announced that they will be starting a program wherein EV models will have a lifetime warranty for 3 critical components of the EV drive system: the high voltage battery assembly (HV Battery Assy), the electric drive unit (EDU), and the power electronic block (PEB). That practically covers all the major components of the drive system, and provides unprecedented peace of mind for EV owners.

Initially, MG Thailand will start offering this for four of their existing models: the MG4, the MG Maxus 9, the MG Maxus 7, and the MG Cyberster. MG says the warranty will be retroactive to customers in Thailand who already own any of the 4 MG models mentioned.  Critically, they say that the warranty carries over even when the ownership of the vehicle has changed. The warranty is attached to the vehicle, not the first owner.

https://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-industry-news/gamechanger-mg-has-begun-to-offer-lifetime-ev-battery-warranty.html

• Like 1