Motorcycle taxi drivers brutally beating tourist caught on video

webfact

4 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Wow  can you back up you comment, with verifiable proof, if not, then it is just a fabrication  of your mind.

Veritable proof?

No, sorry, I can't offer any police reports and I am not one of those influencers who runs around with a camera.

And best of all, I don't care if you believe me or not.

• Like 2

I'm removing many personal attacks from this thread. Beware, any more and your posting ability might be removed as well.

Please be polite and civil to other members of our community at all times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

three motorcycle taxi drivers were captured on video brutally beating a tourist until he lost consciousness

Tourist should spend a couple years in the pokey, then be deported and banned for life.

First, of course, make him pay restitution to the motorcycle thugs to compensate them for scraped knuckles.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, novacova said:

How about folks just mind their own business and avoid mischief by staying out of other people’s way. Of course there’s no excuse for any of it. But there’s always a reaction to every action.  

yeah but in Thailand when there is an action by one it provokes a reaction by many ganging up on you.

and who is to say he did not get beaten for his reaction to an action caused by one of the drivers? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No evidence but, as no one has mentioned it; this area outside Central Patong & across rd gacing Jungceylon is a marked parking area for motorbikes - Good luck with that if you attempt to park in either of these areas... I'd wager this farang was adamant he will park there after 'someone' informed him no cannot'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As highlighted by OMF… [If people get beaten up, there is normally a reason for that]…

Not condoning the pack violence or any violence at all - but the victim may be responsible for ‘triggering a conflict which the moto-thugs escalated.

Very little happens when people keep their mouth shut & behave. 

Might be so. However, we also all know, that it is very little that needs to be triggered to get these guys into action.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

Might be so. However, we also all know, that it is very little that needs to be triggered to get these guys into action.

As above... Parking?

Edited by Lokie

1 hour ago, Lokie said:

No evidence but, as no one has mentioned it; this area outside Central Patong & across rd gacing Jungceylon is a marked parking area for motorbikes - Good luck with that if you attempt to park in either of these areas... I'd wager this farang was adamant he will park there after 'someone' informed him no cannot'

In my experience motorcycle taxi riders still won't fight anybody just because he wants to park in a "restricted area".

Likely they would tell him not to do that. Or they would stand where the guy wants to park.

If anybody insists to use "their" space, and/or tells the guys to f$# o@# or something like that, then there might be bad consequences.

But not just because anybody attempted to park a bike.

I parked often enough in areas with motorcycle bikes for a few minutes, after I asked them if that is ok.

Sometimes they are ok with a few minutes parking, sometimes not.

And if they say no, then that is a no for me. I don't argue about it with them. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

but the victim may be responsible for ‘triggering a conflict which the moto-thugs escalated

But we all know that could be something as simple as complaining about being scammed.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do most _-taxi guys have a hair trigger? I don't think so.

I use regular taxis and motorcycle taxis in Thailand since decades. Sometimes I disagree with them about their price (before or after the trip), sometimes I ask them to drive or ride slower, and I honked my horn from my own motorcycle often enough at them.

How often was I attacked? Never.

I also never used 4 letter words with them, especially that f word. Most civilized people in the world don't like to hear that word. Accept maybe Americans, but we can argue if they are part of the civilized world. 😉 

That uncivilized world you call Americans, no matter what some might say, are the reason you are living in a world that's mostly free. If it weren't for us (them), Japan, England, and Germany would be ruling the world, along with what the terrorists have been doing for decades and being stopped. Americans, by and large, are people from all other countries, or at least their ancestors are. This includes where you come from.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As highlighted by OMF… [If people get beaten up, there is normally a reason for that]…

Not condoning the pack violence or any violence at all - but the victim may be responsible for ‘triggering a conflict which the moto-thugs escalated.

Very little happens when people keep their mouth shut & behave. 

Hardly ever has a person who came second in a late-night bit of street violence not been 'attacked for no reason at all' - usually they are just passing the time waiting for the imminent papal sign-off on their overdue sainthood.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, "we" have not seen it "too many times", unless you're meaning that any number of times is "too many", a sentiment with which I would agree, but I doubt that was your intended meaning.  I believe that you were suggesting that foreigners being attacked with machetes for B50 has happened frequently and I dispute that assertion.

I'll clarify - we've seen 'it' too many times...  by 'it' I mean foreigners being attacked my moto-taxi riders, Taxi drivers & TukTuk drivers...    We've seen 'it' on the reports on this forum...   

...  I also followed up with a severe example where a taxi driver attacked a foreigner with a Machete during an argument over 50 baht... the point there being how escalation occurs over the smallest of issues.

(and no, I don't have links or stats to back up my 'assertion' - just the experience of being here and noting that I read about these issues more often than would be normal in our home countries)

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

That uncivilized world you call Americans, no matter what some might say, are the reason you are living in a world that's mostly free. If it weren't for us (them), Japan, England, and Germany would be ruling the world, along with what the terrorists have been doing for decades and being stopped. Americans, by and large, are people from all other countries, or at least their ancestors are. This includes where you come from.

I get your point and possibly you noticed the 😉 in my post.

But I think we can agree that many Americans use those 4 letter words all the time.

A couple of days ago there was an article about an (presumably) American guy in the BTS who told a woman that he considers using that f-word is plain English language.

I disagree. I didn't learn it in school, and I know many British guys, mostly older, who never use those words.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do most _-taxi guys have a hair trigger? I don't think so.

I use regular taxis and motorcycle taxis in Thailand since decades. Sometimes I disagree with them about their price (before or after the trip), sometimes I ask them to drive or ride slower, and I honked my horn from my own motorcycle often enough at them.

How often was I attacked? Never.

I also never used 4 letter words with them, especially that f word. Most civilized people in the world don't like to hear that word. Accept maybe Americans, but we can argue if they are part of the civilized world. 😉 

Tell one of them to 'get f$%ked' and you'll find their hair trigger...        So yes, IMO, especially in area's such as Pattaya and Patong where an element of contempt for foreigners may have crept in, I'd argue that yes, many, even most, have a hair-trigger and will respond aggressively and escalate a situation should the consider that you have insulted them.

The reason you have never been attacked by them is because you are not a fool who uses colourful language and argues with them...    And the two reasons you don't are a; you are not a disrespectful idiot, and b; you know such behavior will be met with an extreme response.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Wow  can you back up you comment, with verifiable proof, if not, then it is just a fabrication  of your mind.

What sort of proof are you looking for, police reports, news reports ??...  for some issues proof is difficult to find - that does not mean the experience of someone who has been here a long time is fabricated, it just means that you have not been exposed to such issues and have not scratched the surface of what happens in Thailand to the same degree as someone such as OMF.

While I have no exposure to the examples provided by OMF, I don't disagree with his comments - having been here a long time I'm aware that many issues occur and most of them fly below our radar.

26 minutes ago, Regyai said:

Hardly ever has a person who came second in a late-night bit of street violence not been 'attacked for no reason at all' - usually they are just passing the time waiting for the imminent papal sign-off on their overdue sainthood.

Yup... the saying... "he had it coming"... is often used...   again, not condoning violence - but some people behave so poorly, they just have it coming...   

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I get your point and possibly you noticed the 😉 in my post.

But I think we can agree that many Americans use those 4 letter words all the time.

A couple of days ago there was an article about an (presumably) American guy in the BTS who told a woman that he considers using that f-word is plain English language.

I disagree. I didn't learn it in school, and I know many British guys, mostly older, who never use those words.

You can't guess how many of any country's people do anything because you only know a few personally. What you see on TV isn't an exact representation of the people. I've heard many different nationalities use the F bomb, including the word for it here, many times. We all learned it from friends way back when it was never used on TV. Most everyone I know swears at least some of the time, even if they aren't prone to doing it much.

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Tell one of them to 'get f$%ked' and you'll find their hair trigger...        So yes, IMO, especially in area's such as Pattaya and Patong where an element of contempt for foreigners may have crept in, I'd argue that yes, many, even most, have a hair-trigger and will respond aggressively and escalate a situation should the consider that you have insulted them.

The reason you have never been attacked by them is because you are not a fool who uses colourful language and argues with them...    And the two reasons you don't are a; you are not a disrespectful idiot, and b; you know such behavior will be met with an extreme response.

"Tell one of them to 'get f$%ked'"

Who does something like that? Where I come from and wherever I lived, that is not the kind of language normal people use with each other. 

I.e. if one of those taxi guys would try to charge too much, maybe I would tell him "that is too much", or maybe I would laugh, like, good joke, try again.

Is there any place in the world where people use those words regularly like they say hello? 

It's like that in rap often used word motherf#$#.

I don't think it's necessary to have a hair trigger if someone reacts very forceful at such allegations. I guess most people don't mean it literally. But that is the literal meaning, so don't be surprised. 

1 minute ago, it is what it is said:

no, not having that, there is more to this story.

Right, the tourist probably opened his mouth the wrong way.

Edited by novacova
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Veritable proof?

No, sorry, I can't offer any police reports and I am not one of those influencers who runs around with a camera.

And best of all, I don't care if you believe me or not.

So, basically, it is an opinion, worth very little... I didn't ask for police reports, perhaps a news report.... anything will do.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What sort of proof are you looking for, police reports, news reports ??...  for some issues proof is difficult to find - that does not mean the experience of someone who has been here a long time is fabricated, it just means that you have not been exposed to such issues and have not scratched the surface of what happens in Thailand to the same degree as someone such as OMF.

While I have no exposure to the examples provided by OMF, I don't disagree with his comments - having been here a long time I'm aware that many issues occur and most of them fly below our radar.

So, it is an opinion of yours, that cannot be backed up.... Personally, I have never seen any reports, in the media, so am interested in how you formed your opinion.