Can a UK Passport Be Renewed Online in Thailand?

2 hours ago, transam said:

Use an agent, can be done by post from anywhere in LOS, their fee is around 5000bht + PP cost.....:thumbsup:

Yes, it is physically possible.

BUT anyone taking this 'fraudulent route' (fraud is a bit strong, technically a false declaration).

Does anyone attempting this route ever consider the possibility that an eagle-eyed officer at UKPA might pick up the fact that the passport has an entry stamp for Thailand.....................with no corresponding exit stamp.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Yes, it is physically possible.

BUT anyone taking this 'fraudulent route' (fraud is a bit strong, technically a false declaration).

Does anyone attempting this route ever consider the possibility that an eagle-eyed officer at UKPA might pick up the fact that the passport has an entry stamp for Thailand.....................with no corresponding exit stamp.

He is talking about applying in Thailand using one of the many agents that offer this service.  Nothing fraudulent or false about it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

There is a legal requirement in Thailand to carry your passport with you when you are out and about. This is rarely enforced but is why you cannot renew online. Many other countries do not require you to carry your passport when you are out and about, you can leave it at your residence or at an hotel. Nothing to do with paranoia, I never carry my passport in Thailand unless I need it during my travel, eg. visiting the bank.

If it a 'legal requirement' can you please let me have a reference point from the Civil and Commercial Code (or any other source).

11 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

He is talking about applying in Thailand using one of the many agents that offer this service.  Nothing fraudulent or false about it.

My apologies - I read @transam's post a little hastily..... Yes, of course, it can be done by post to an agent in Thailand  -  the renewal application does have to be submitted to VfS in person (which can be an authorised 3rd party).

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, alanrchase said:

It can be done online from abroad as well. My sister did hers online from the US a few years ago. My understanding is one reason for not being able to do it online from Thailand is the (unenforced) requirement to carry your passport. Online renewal leaves you without a passport until the new one is delivered.

Couple of things, firstly there is no requirement to carry your passport, the law requires you to provide it within a reasonable time. Secondly, if you apply online how are you without a passport?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, BobBKK said:

VFS were very professional in Chiang Mai, but I had no idea that an authorised agent could do it for me. I might go that route in nine years time. 

Anyone can submit your application on your behalf  - and collect the new passport.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Anyone can submit your application on your behalf  - and collect the new passport.

I'm surprised you are not required to turn up yourself.

11 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I'm surprised you are not required to turn up yourself.

An agent picks up the PP for you...With an agent, you never leave home, except to go to one's local post office...😊

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, transam said:

An agent picks up the PP for you...With an agent, you never leave home, except to go to one's local post office...😊

Great, I'll do that next time - thank you.

On 7/17/2024 at 9:00 AM, alanrchase said:

My understanding is one reason for not being able to do it online from Thailand is the (unenforced) requirement to carry your passport

Well that alleged requirement does not appear to be any bar to our Irish cousins living in LOS being able to renew their passports online. In fact online is the only way in which they can do this nowadays!

https://www.ireland.ie/en/thailand/bangkok/passports/how-to-apply-for-a-passports/

Unfortunately I'm not holding out much hope, though, for those dimwitted reactionaries in HMPO who are responsible for inflicting the current antediluvian renewal procedures on us Brits living in LOS to cotton any time soon on to the fact that we are not, in general, a bunch of Luddites who are totally incapable of using their online facility for passport renewal purposes (the use of which they seem to be encouraging practically everywhere else).