Thailand faces escalating heart and cardiovascular disease crisis

CharlieH

40 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

My mother had a stroke and massive bleed on her brain 12 hours after receiving her Moderna bivalent vaccine. Her doctor and the hospital refused to report her death as vaccine-related. I think that 'small percentage' is much larger than the authorities want to admit.

no proof it was the vaccine, maybe just a coincidence 

40 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Jaggg88 said:

My mother had a stroke and massive bleed on her brain 12 hours after receiving her Moderna bivalent vaccine. Her doctor and the hospital refused to report her death as vaccine-related. I think that 'small percentage' is much larger than the authorities want to admit.

but more than likely not a coincidence. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/21/2024 at 8:20 PM, scubascuba3 said:

So if these deaths are not reported as possibly vaccine-related then there is no investigation into the safety of the vaccines

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Jaggg88 said:

So if these deaths are not reported as possibly vaccine-related then there is no investigation into the safety of the vaccines

People die after having a number 2, maybe that should be put down as a possible cause of death

On 7/19/2024 at 6:53 AM, Classic Ray said:

I am amazed at the difficulty in getting zero sugar/diet soft drinks in restaurants and some bars here. 

They just take up one slot on carbonation machines, and I would imagine the concentrate is cheaper than one containing sugar.

But with so much sugar being produced/consumed here, I suppose it will take many years to change bad habits. 

I am not saying diet drinks are healthier but at least they contain fewer calories.

I noticed the same thing when I moved here 6 years ago. All I could find was Coke Zero, pepsi Zero and Coke Sugar Free. Eventually they put out a few new diet flavors. The same with tea. Still only  a few without sugar. Oishi 0% , Lipton sugar free and a couple non sweetened.

On 7/19/2024 at 12:26 PM, NoshowJones said:

Will someone please explain why when I first came to Thailand about 20 years ago, fat people were almost non existant, look around yourself today and you can't help but notice the amount of fat people about.

It's not really so complicated.  Caloric intake has greatly increased and caloric expenditure has greatly decreased.  Also a marked shift of calories from vegetables and fruit to meat, sugar and fats.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

It's not really so complicated.  Caloric intake has greatly increased and caloric expenditure has greatly decreased.  Also a marked shift of calories from vegetables and fruit to meat, sugar and fats.

Definitely. I keep asking the Wife why do they take a naturally very healthy fruit like a banana, then cover it in batter, deep fry it, and eat it with sugar and chili........:crazy:

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

People are needed for labor, if for nothing else. And consumption of goods.

If and when AI / robots take over most labor, then the existential questions of what is the use of human beings on this planet get amplified.

Hopefully there are some benevolent Gods out there who want us here for sth other than toil. 

AI is just another advance of technology that has always gradually changed the performing of services and making goods. AI is just another of the many advances of technology changing how human labor is involved .. this is nothing new. Ever heard of the Industrial Revolution? Come on..  You may be to young or never heard about this but for example.. there used to be legions of people that worked for the phone company. (mostly women) They were called "operators" They connected phone line to phone line and gave out phone numbers if you needed one. They were replaced by computers from about the 1970's on. Geez, technology will always change "labor" .. the world adjusts. AI and Robots won't "take over'.

The onslaught of obesity in the world is not a problem that AI can be blamed for. AI might actually fix it.

IMHO It is corporate greed and food corporations willing to sell crappy food to their costumers despite well knowing it is unhealthy and may well shorten their lives. My opinion is it is fast food, candy, uber processed food and  government regulation being very liniment on the production of crappy food abd drinks which is the problem. This kind of food is almost like cigarettes and liquor. IMHO there ought to be a warning. Many people in countries were education is low don't understand that drinking sugar soda and eating fast good is very bad for health. They simply don't know any better.

There is a push in some western progressive governments to put warning labels say on Coke/Pepsi and fast food. Because it is very unhealthy to consume. Much like cigarettes are known to produce cancer and excessive liquor consumption can lead to addiction and health problems.

Edited by StandardIssue
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Westernization of y the diet(increased consumption of animal fat) and lack of exercise(Thais often hate to walk even short distance).

In recent years, child obesity has also been becoming a social problem.

Since 2008, public schools banned the sale of snack food in their premises.

In old time during which Thais exercised their traditional diet, very few fat people were around.

image.jpeg.6bb30330535ce82b0a115ee9d6b12696.jpeg  image.jpeg.ce9fa4e292b84500ba831cc3e867a89c.jpeg

Edited by black tabby12345
  • Agree 1

On 8/29/2024 at 6:55 AM, black tabby12345 said:

Westernization of y the diet(increased consumption of animal fat) and lack of exercise(Thais often hate to walk even short distance).

In recent years, child obesity has also been becoming a social problem.

Since 2008, public schools banned the sale of snack food in their premises.

In old time during which Thais exercised their traditional diet, very few fat people were around.

image.jpeg.6bb30330535ce82b0a115ee9d6b12696.jpeg  image.jpeg.ce9fa4e292b84500ba831cc3e867a89c.jpeg

on average thai person is very slim and fit compared to western civilizations where almost everybody is overweight....in Thailand look around...girls have perfect weight...so do guys...even old people have perfect weight

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, parafareno said:

on average thai person is very slim and fit compared to western civilizations where almost everybody is overweight....in Thailand look around...girls have perfect weight...so do guys...even old people have perfect weight

Diabetes is growing fast in Thailand, they get it at lower BMIs than the west

On 7/25/2024 at 9:09 AM, StandardIssue said:

AI is just another advance of technology that has always gradually changed the performing of services and making goods. AI is just another of the many advances of technology changing how human labor is involved .. this is nothing new. Ever heard of the Industrial Revolution? Come on..  You may be to young or never heard about this but for example.. there used to be legions of people that worked for the phone company. (mostly women) They were called "operators" They connected phone line to phone line and gave out phone numbers if you needed one. They were replaced by computers from about the 1970's on. Geez, technology will always change "labor" .. the world adjusts. AI and Robots won't "take over'.

The onslaught of obesity in the world is not a problem that AI can be blamed for. AI might actually fix it.

IMHO It is corporate greed and food corporations willing to sell crappy food to their costumers despite well knowing it is unhealthy and may well shorten their lives. My opinion is it is fast food, candy, uber processed food and  government regulation being very liniment on the production of crappy food abd drinks which is the problem. This kind of food is almost like cigarettes and liquor. IMHO there ought to be a warning. Many people in countries were education is low don't understand that drinking sugar soda and eating fast good is very bad for health. They simply don't know any better.

There is a push in some western progressive governments to put warning labels say on Coke/Pepsi and fast food. Because it is very unhealthy to consume. Much like cigarettes are known to produce cancer and excessive liquor consumption can lead to addiction and health problems.

I agree, but have to correct your wording:

What you call food is not food. 

"Edible food-like substances" is the correct term.

• Haha 1

On 9/1/2024 at 9:52 PM, Lorry said:

I agree, but have to correct your wording:

What you call food is not food. 

"Edible food-like substances" is the correct term.

I'll go along with that. Substances that are ingestable that don't cause immiediate death. Kids eat dirt and clay and don't die ... BUT .. reminds me of that movie "Super Size Me" .. 30 days was all it took for that fellow to ruin his health eating nothing but McDonalds "edible food-like substance"

• Thumbs Up 1

I beleive in a healthy diet, but read recently about Warren Buffet age 94 and his terrible diet.  Mcdonaldś every morning, drinks 4 to 6 Cokes a day, Dairy Queen fequently, burgers, chocolate, oreoś, etc.  So, I guess you never know how a body will react/sustain itself.

Here is a quote form him:

"I think happiness makes an enormous amount of difference in terms of longevity. And I'm happier when I'm drinking Coke or eating hot fudge sundaes or hot dogs." (CNBC)