Fined 1600 baht for not reporting TM30 (same address)

Is this a new rule?

Left the country to do a visa run and returned to the same address.

I didn’t think a new TM30 was needed. First time in 7 years this has happened.

In CNX I saw this type of "enforcement" a few times.  The worst case was an American Family of 4 who was renting a house owned by a foreinger.  Guess what?  TM-30 was not updated or even entered.  Anyway the foreign landlord never responded from the renters.  In order to extend the visa's of the 4 family members CNX Immigration fines had to be paid.  So the family had to pay 6400 Baht(yes 1600X 4) to immigration just to extend for 30 deys.  Based upon what i know TM-30 enforcement is supposed to be against the landlord and not the tenant.  But TIT: "somebody has to pay the fine".  

The one word I rarely see in play in LOS is: Consistentcy.  In the 1600 Baht is not a huge amount for most of foreigners so I guess one must pay it and move on. I am not surprised at what happened to decline. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

In CNX I saw this type of "enforcement" a few times.  The worst case was an American Family of 4 who was renting a house owned by a foreinger.  Guess what?  TM-30 was not updated or even entered.  Anyway the foreign landlord never responded from the renters.  In order to extend the visa's of the 4 family members CNX Immigration fines had to be paid.  So the family had to pay 6400 Baht(yes 1600X 4) to immigration just to extend for 30 deys.  Based upon what i know TM-30 enforcement is supposed to be against the landlord and not the tenant.  But TIT: "somebody has to pay the fine".  

The one word I rarely see in play in LOS is: Consistentcy.  In the 1600 Baht is not a huge amount for most of foreigners so I guess one must pay it and move on. I am not surprised at what happened to decline. 

Fine us Bt1,600 because a landlord didn't file TM30, but fine only Bt 600 for Thai landlords at CW it seems. Meanwhile people on the new 5yr/160 day visa who don't extend in country will never file a TM30* or TM47 whilst staying here for 5 years.

*landlord could, but many don't want to.

Edited by mokwit

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

So you have a multi entry visa? 

A TM30 should not be required in example you gave.

Which immigration office 

Jomtien

This was probably the problem

I went to Savannakhet to get a marriage visa renewed but because of the new online queue system was refused so came back on a 30 day entry

Horrendous experience every time I visit that office, I’m sure they would have found something else I hadn’t done 

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, decline said:

I went to Savannakhet to get a marriage visa renewed but because of the new online queue system was refused so came back on a 30 day entry

OK, so you reentered visa exempt.

You need to make a TM30. 

You mention marriage.

You can obtain a 30 day extension and you can also (in addition) obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife.

Prior to attending Jomitien for any extension you would require a TM30. 

Also be aware that visa exempt entries are now 60 days (currently) and you could think about border bounce from Pattaya.

Plenty of threads on that

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OK, so you reentered visa exempt.

You need to make a TM30. 

You mention marriage.

You can obtain a 30 day extension and you can also (in addition) obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife.

Prior to attending Jomitien for any extension you would require a TM30. 

Also be aware that visa exempt entries are now 60 days (currently) and you could think about border bounce from Pattaya.

Plenty of threads on that

Yeah I changed to do just a 60 day extension now as plan has changed to leave Thailand 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, decline said:

Yeah I changed to do just a 60 day extension now as plan has changed to leave Thailand 

No worries. Just make sure that you have a TM30 to take with you to immigration when you apply for the 60 extension.

Note: you won't be able to obtain the 30 day extension after the 60 to visit wife.

If all you need is less than 60 then yes apply for that

There's nothing confusing, just play the game;

When you arrive go to hotel for 1 nite and get a paper copy of TM30 (keep it in case they ask it later).

When you need extension go to same hotel for 1 nite and get a paper copy. No problems.

- That way it looks you've stayed there 30 days....

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Chillypom said:

Jomtien advised me about 10 months ago that TM30 must be resubmitted when returning to Thailand even for same address.  This has not been my experience for several years previously so I queried and was told it is now a requirement.

+1

• Thumbs Up 1

Jomtien

Before I left the country, I spoke with 2 IOs about TM30s. There was no one there so they had time. 

They asked to see my passport and the stapled TM30. After checking my do documents they said no need for a new one after returning. Even after other interactions with immigration, I never had an issue. 

There was something about my passport or current 30 which indicated to them that in my case there was no need. My TM30 was only about 6 months old. But it is still a mystery as to what triggers a need for a new one. 

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

What kind of visa or extension do you have? Unless you return with a re-entry permit, you are supposed to file the TM30 notification anew when you re-enter Thailand.

Different immigration offices seem to have different policies on this though. 

Yes. I visited Thailand November last year Visa Exempt. Went with wife to our local Immigration where IO explained that, if returning to the same address, a TM30 was not required. My address is that I have reported for 19 years.

Rentered Thailand (Visa Exempt) 01 July 24 and did not file a TM30.

Went to Immigration yesterday for TM 7 extension of stay. The IO commented that there had been no TM30 filed and I told him his office had informed me it was not neccessary. He shrugged and said no more. I did then offer a copy of my Thai Drivers License which has my address and he was happy. Extension approved😀

Ed

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

My house owner refused to do a TM30, I asked him for documentation so I could do it myself, he gave me the wrong documentation. I asked for the correct ones and he gave me 2 months to leave, I didn’t pay the rent for the last 2 months as that was my deposit, he never questioned that.

obvioulsy there was a reason why he didn’t want to do a TM30 even if it meant losing a good tenant of 3 years.

If you know someone who writes good Thai, this is a case for a "Concerned Thai Citizen" letter to the RD.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I visited Thailand November last year Visa Exempt. Went with wife to our local Immigration where IO explained that, if returning to the same address, a TM30 was not required.

Your IO is wrong.

If you enter on a new visa or visa exempt and plan to have dealings with immigration such as obtain 30 day extension then you need to file a TM30.

This is irrespective of staying there previously. 

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your IO is wrong.

If you enter on a new visa or visa exempt and plan to have dealings with immigration such as obtain 30 day extension then you need to file a TM30.

This is irrespective of staying there previously. 

That’s the problem the inconsistency of the officers you deal with, do some of them not understand what the requirements are ?

• Thanks 1

Thirteen years in Chiang Mai. While many take care of immigration by themselves, my rationale for using an agency is that it has been worth the charge to let them handle matters. As they work with immigration daily they know if there has been a change in regulation, if there is a new boss who wants to make his mark, which immigration officials are easier to deal with and which to avoid. Here in Chiang Mai, I do take care of the 90 day Reports as the Drive-up window is fast and efficient.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Chillypom said:

Jomtien advised me about 10 months ago that TM30 must be resubmitted when returning to Thailand even for same address.  This has not been my experience for several years previously so I queried and was told it is now a requirement.

More likely it has always been a requirement but not enforced. I knew for many many years that a new TM30 was required every time I re entered Thailand.

• Thanks 1