Thailand Lengthens Visa-free Stay for Hong Kong Residents

snoop1130

IMG_1099.jpg

Thailand’s decision to lengthen visa-free visits for people from Hong Kong aims to strengthen business ties and encourage more tourists, say industry leaders. This decision comes despite a recent murder-suicide event in Bangkok involving six individuals. However, this hasn’t affected tourists' plans significantly, they pointed out.

Anthony Lam Sai-ho, the Executive Deputy Chairman of the Federation of Hong Kong Industries, lauded the extending of visa-free stays as advantageous to Hong Kong businesses in Thailand. The announcement followed Thailand’s decision to provide visa-free entry to 93 countries and regions, including Hong Kong, from 30 to 60 days. This move aims to boost Thailand’s tourism industry.

“Many of our members run factories in Thailand and they need to meet clients, check machinery is functioning correctly, or stay longer for training,” stated Lam. As CEO of Golden Resources Development International, Lam acknowledged Thailand’s role as a strong manufacturing location with solid connections to Hong Kong. He noted numerous industries in Hong Kong such as automobiles, textiles, and food production are tightly linked to Thai businesses.

Tiffie Cheung Hoi-tung, a digital marketer, said the visa extension makes it easier for her to work and travel in Thailand. She further clarified, “the extension to 60 days makes travelling and working more efficient for me; I get more time to settle in, and long-term renting becomes more cost-effective.”

Cheung was attracted to northern Thailand due to its cheaper living costs, which she estimates to be 25% of that in Hong Kong. She added that the longer stay allows for better weekend travels.

Long-term Hong Kong resident in Thailand, Roger Hu Wai-chung, claims the new visa rule will favor people with family in Thailand or retirees who prefer long stays in the country.

The Hong Kong Immigration Department said that the initiative would boost tourism, cultural, and economic bonds between Thailand and Hong Kong. Based on Thai data, almost 15 million tourists came to Thailand in the first five months of 2024, earning around 700 billion baht in revenue. Tourists from mainland China topped with 2.91 million visitors, with Hong Kong ranking 16th at 317,954 visitors.

Despite the recent murder-suicide case at Bangkok's Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel, Hu reassured that Hong Kong residents should not be overly worried about security in Thailand. He stressed that the unfortunate incident at the popular hotel was isolated and stemmed from a debt-related argument.

Steve Huen Kwok-chuen, Executive Director of EGL Tours, concluded that the agency's tour groups in Bangkok are proceeding with their plans as the incident is deemed isolated and independent.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-19

- Cigna offers a range of plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

@snoop1130  "People's Republic of China (including Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan)" is included in the list of countries whose nationals qualify for the new 60-day visa-exempt entry.

Are we now going to have separate topics about it for each Chinese province or region?

Edited by Puccini
added link
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Puccini said:

@snoop1130  "People's Republic of China (including Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan)" is included in the list of countries whose nationals qualify for the new 60-day visa-exempt entry.

Are we now going to have separate topics about it for each Chinese province or region?

Never mind, I doubt China will even exist before long.

Can only hope. Same with Palestine. North Korea 

and Iran.

Nothing but trouble, the lot of em.

• Sad 1

How long before they start paying tourists to come to Thailand ?

My prediction they will open borders to China, and allow a one way open border policy for Chinese to live and poo in Thailand for as long as they want. Of course China will keep controls on Thais entering. 

On 7/19/2024 at 6:02 PM, Puccini said:

Taiwan is not part of the PRC.

Fortunately. 

5 hours ago, Lorry said:

Taiwan is not part of the PRC.

Fortunately. 

For Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Taiwan is clearly part of the PRC. I found it interesting but not surprising to read that.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Puccini said:

For Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Taiwan is clearly part of the PRC. I found it interesting but not surprising to read that.

I cannot open the link you provided,  but anyway, this tells us a lot about Thailand. 

3 hours ago, Lorry said:

I cannot open the link you provided,  but anyway, this tells us a lot about Thailand. 

Here's a translated extract from the list published in the Government Gazette:

(10) Republic of Bulgaria
(11) Kingdom of Cambodia
(12) Canada
(13) People's Republic of China (including Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan)
(14) Republic of Colombia
(15) Republic of Croatia

Edited by Puccini
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mokwit said:

Surprised there was no interview with a Triad member extolling the virtues of the new 60 day limit, or are they all on Privilege visas?

DTV (hard power: Muay Thai)

18 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

How long before they start paying tourists to come to Thailand ?

My prediction they will open borders to China, and allow a one way open border policy for Chinese to live and poo in Thailand for as long as they want. Of course China will keep controls on Thais entering. 

I think they will do what they are doing in HK with adjacent sovereign states - just flood them with mainlanders until they are effectively mainland.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Puccini said:

the US signed the same agreements. 

3 hours ago, mokwit said:

I think they will do what they are doing in HK with adjacent sovereign states - just flood them with mainlanders until they are effectively mainland.

Thailand is slowly becoming the United States of China.

Has their been any railways line built into Thailand from China? Under the pretext it's for both ways, but reality it is to flood Thailand with cheap Chinese made products. 

Anyone know if this has happened, as has been done in other neighbouring countries?