Shocking slump: Thailand’s premium EV sales plunge 35%

EV sales in Thailand slumped significantly?

I bet very few people wants to ride a Running Time Bomb.

Even though nearly 80% of the EV batteries(Lithium Ion) are from China,

their safety has been  very much in doubt for many years.

Chinese Communist Part was expecting  Global Electric Car Boom.

But what they really got is,  Ev Kah-Boom instead.

21,000 Fires a Year! China’s Often Self-Igniting EVs & EBs Become Ubiquitous ‘Moving Bombs’ - YouTube

Edited by black tabby12345
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Without clicking on the link I know immediately which openly anti China, Falungong backed, lie spreading YoTube channel this will be from (their videos have been fact checked and debunked on here many times).

PS It's the same channel that posted an ICE fire and called it a Chinese EV fire and that showed a stunt car explosion from a movie set and said it was a Chinese EV spontaneously exploding as it was being charged.

But there are always goons to swallow their lies and repost them without checking anything at all. Ah, hello.

There are more lies, misinformation, twisted truths, distortion, misdirection, pure unbelievable nonsense, that comes out of China, from China, than ever goes the other way.  If that lot swallowed a nail they would sxxt a corkscrew.  

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Without clicking on the link I know immediately which openly anti China, Falungong backed, lie spreading YoTube channel this will be from (their videos have been fact checked and debunked on here many times).

PS It's the same channel that posted an ICE fire and called it a Chinese EV fire and that showed a stunt car explosion from a movie set and said it was a Chinese EV spontaneously exploding as it was being charged.

But there are always goons to swallow their lies and repost them without checking anything at all. Ah, hello.

Only Anti-China medias highlight the danger of EV battery from China?

Look at the following coverages.  

Bangkok Post - EV fire in Korea prompts questions about batteries

South Korea to hold emergency meeting after EV fires raise safety concerns | Reuters

There have been 6462 electric vehicle fire accidents across the country this year, and the market penetration of lithium electric plates has increased. | Shanghai Non ferrous Metals

Mercedes-Benz EQE Fire Incident Raises Questions About Chinese EV Battery Safety - Businesskorea

Academic-A-review-of-battery-fires-in-electric-vehicles-2020.pdf (maritimesafetyinnovationlab.org)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, black tabby12345 said:

EV sales in Thailand slumped significantly?

I bet very few people wants to ride a Running Time Bomb.

Even though nearly 80% of the EV batteries(Lithium Ion) are from China,

their safety has been  very much in doubt for many years.

Chinese Communist Part was expecting  Global Electric Car Boom.

But what they really got is,  Ev Kah-Boom instead.

21,000 Fires a Year! China’s Often Self-Igniting EVs & EBs Become Ubiquitous ‘Moving Bombs’ - YouTube

Many EV manufacturers in China have switched to the much safer LFP battery. Scooter batteries however, are mostly of the older lithium ion NCM/NCA battery type.

Older BYD hybrids also used NCM batteries but newest BYD hybrids have switched to LFPs. And of course BYD EVs use mainly LFPs.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

You’re missing the point that an EV is typically around 12 times less likely to catch fire than an ICE car and 130 times less likely to catch fire than a hybrid car.

Reduce that to 6 times less likely in Thailand 🇹🇭

Thai EV fire 🔥 risk: 9.2 fire/billion miles

Tesla global: 5 fire/billion miles

ICE (USA): 55 fire/billion miles

1. Tesla 3 - September 20th, 2021, power pole collision Rama 2, Bangkok.

2. BYD Atto 3 - January 21st, 2023, house fire, Songkran. Traction battery did not burn.

3. BYD Seal - March 14th, 2024, Ratchaburi roll-over.

4. Porsche Taycan - May 24th, 2024, battery explosion, Paradise Car Showroom, Bangkok.

5. Neta-V - June 11th, 2024, median accident and fire, Saraburi.

6. Neta-V - June 12th, 2024, accident and fire at towing area, Tha Phra, Khon Kaen.

7. MG ES - June 22nd, 2024, hit axle part on the road, Chonburi motorway.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Reduce that to 6 times less likely in Thailand 🇹🇭

Thai EV fire 🔥 risk: 9.2 fire/billion miles

Tesla global: 5 fire/billion miles

ICE (USA): 55 fire/billion miles

1. Tesla 3 - September 20th, 2021, power pole collision Rama 2, Bangkok.

2. BYD Atto 3 - January 21st, 2023, house fire, Songkran. Traction battery did not burn.

3. BYD Seal - March 14th, 2024, Ratchaburi roll-over.

4. Porsche Taycan - May 24th, 2024, battery explosion, Paradise Car Showroom, Bangkok.

5. Neta-V - June 11th, 2024, median accident and fire, Saraburi.

6. Neta-V - June 12th, 2024, accident and fire at towing area, Tha Phra, Khon Kaen.

7. MG ES - June 22nd, 2024, hit axle part on the road, Chonburi motorway.

sample size is too small in Thailand, we have to go with the US government statistics, nice try, enjoy picking those cherries.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/23/2024 at 11:50 AM, JBChiangRai said:

The mini is grossly overpriced in Thailand whether ICE or EV

An EV "Mini" is an even bigger travesty than the BMW "mini'

Edited by stoutfella
spelling mistake,
  • Confused 1

On 7/24/2024 at 5:04 PM, impulse said:

One enviable phenomenon I've been seeing up in Tianjin where the temps are running around 38C is the EV drivers parked in their cars with just the AC and tunes running.

ICE cars depend on high RPMs for the AC to work properly.  It appears that EV air conditioners work well even standing still. 

Edit: that brings up another potential for EVs, to charge them up when electric rates are low, and feed power back during peak hours when the rates spike.  Or like in Texas where electricity was knocked out for a week. On one hand, they couldn't charge the EVs, but they really needed to keep their fridges running more than they needed to drive around on flooded roads.

Are you claiming that a fridge can be plugged into an EV? Do EVs work on 110 volts in the US?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/15/2024 at 5:06 AM, stoutfella said:

An EV "Mini" is an even bigger travesty than the BMW "mini'

You reference the "joke" Mini. That new thing isn't even small, it's just BS marketing. In NZ they even put racing stripes on the joke Minis to convince the woke to buy them. Don't see many on the roads , which indicates that even the woke are not fooled.

2 hours ago, mdr224 said:

I will continue to use fossil fuels till i die. The infrastructure is just not there for EVs

A well thought out and well qualified post.

I guess 9,694 charging stations across Thailand is not enough for you?

Strange but the thousands of EV owners aren't experiencing any problems, I bow to your superior knowledge.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Suua said:

From Google......

image.png.8bd3b10f2b3cce2fdc74d15fe7fcb490.png

This can best be answered by @Gweiloman who has a Haval H6.

I can answer for BYD Seal, MG4 and MG EP+ which had zero faults.  Meanwhile my German EV had to be trailered to Bangkok twice for warranty claims.

• Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, Suua said:

From Google......

image.png.8bd3b10f2b3cce2fdc74d15fe7fcb490.png

35 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

This can best be answered by @Gweiloman who has a Haval H6.

I can answer for BYD Seal, MG4 and MG EP+ which had zero faults.  Meanwhile my German EV had to be trailered to Bangkok twice for warranty claims.

This looks like an article from Australia. Rude staff… well, it’s Australia after all, isn’t it? 

This article also seems to reference a 2018 made vehicle. Mine is a 2022/2023 vehicle. Excellent build quality, up there with all the premium brands I have previously owned. Excellent service at every service centre I have been to in Thailand (4 different ones). Excellent fuel economy. I don’t think I spent even Thb 1,000 on petrol so far this year. The GPS is crap though. Fortunately I use Google maps via wireless Android Auto.

• Thanks 1