Checking in for Flight.

I want to check in 30 hours before my flight to the UK with KLM. It will be convenient for me to do this, everything is booked including my seats.

What exactly is the proceedure? Can I just turn up at check in with my passport, flight details, and suitcase? Is the check in desk open all the time? Thanks.

Check-in typically starts 3 hours before departure. You can check in online a few days before departure, but you still have your luggage. If, as I suspect, you were just looking for somewhere free to store your bag this wouldn't work. Most airports have places you can pay to store your bag for a short time.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I want to check in 30 hours before my flight to the UK with KLM. It will be convenient for me to do this, everything is booked including my seats.

What exactly is the proceedure? Can I just turn up at check in with my passport, flight details, and suitcase? Is the check in desk open all the time? Thanks.

I have found that On-Line check in means nothing. Still have to queue up to weigh your luggage and check your passport, and they print you a paper boarding pass even though you may have printed one yourself or have it on your phone. Most physical check-ins open 3 hours before the flight, even though they advise you to arrive 4 hours early.

I guess if you have only hand luggage you would be OK.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I have found that On-Line check in means nothing. Still have to queue up to weigh your luggage and check your passport, and they print you a paper boarding pass even though you may have printed one yourself or have it on your phone. Most physical check-ins open 3 hours before the flight, even though they advise you to arrive 4 hours early.

Online check in allows you to secure the seat of your preference.

Prior to online check in most airlines now charge you to select the seat of your preference which is a rip off.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

No I have a case which will go in the hold, I won't bother with the 30 hours check in now, I just wanted to make things as easy as possible. Thanks.

Just now, NoshowJones said:

No I have a case which will go in the hold, I won't bother with the 30 hours check in now, I just wanted to make things as easy as possible. Thanks.

Have a good trip and a fun time in UK!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Prior to online check in most airlines now charge you to select the seat of your preference which is a rip off.

I have already paid for my seat as I needed the extra leg room, and I agree with you about the rip off.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

No, online check in allows you to select your preferred seat from whatever is still available.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

You go to the website 30 hours before your scheduled take-off time, log-in and fill in the details requested. If you have already paid for seats and already have your seat numbers, then you can skip over that part. Once complete, you'll get an option to email your Boarding Pass to yourself and/or you can print it immediately.

When you arrive at the airport, you will go to a separate queue, usually called Bag Drop. No need to join the long queue of idiots who didn't bother to check in beforehand. In fact, I turn up later than everyone else, since I've already checked in and my seats are already chosen. When you get to any desk, the agent will see that you have already checked and ask you if you want them to print you out a boarding pass. You can say yes to this. It doesn't cost you anything and you are probably used to them, as opposed to scanning with your Smartphone.

The long queue is for people who haven't done this, so the staff have to add their passport details, allocate seats.....you get the picture.

So check in beforehand and then relax. You can take your time. No need to rush and join any long queue. Even if there isn't a separate Bag Drop queue, you can just take a seat and wait until the normal queue has diminished. There will be no advantage to you standing and waiting nor rushing to be first in the queue.

Edited by NowNow
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Bother...

30 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Some airlines charge for seats even during check-in. Otherwise you might be allocated a relatively poor seat.

Just now, NowNow said:

Bother...

I think his original plan was to physically check in at the airport the day before his flight which he won't be able to do.  But of course online check-in should be done for the reasons you gave.

4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

I think his original plan was to physically check in at the airport the day before his flight which he won't be able to do.  But of course online check-in should be done for the reasons you gave.

I think he was referring to Online Check-In. The 30 hours beforehand is when KLM opens their Online Check-In service.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Completely nailed it. Check in online perhaps to ensure no last minutes hitches but as you say you still queue up

I had one of those hitches on Oman  about 8 years ago when I was "offloaded" Bangkok to London after big group on open tickets all reconfirmed for same date......if I hadnt attempted to check in online I'd have only known at the airport and too late to sort it...(which I did thanks to my agent back in London)

1 minute ago, NowNow said:

I think he was referring to Online Check-In. The 30 hours beforehand is when KLM opens their Online Check-In service.

I think not....

58 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

What exactly is the proceedure? Can I just turn up at check in with my passport, flight details, and suitcase? Is the check in desk open all the time?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Chivas said:

Completely nailed it. Check in online perhaps to ensure no last minutes hitches but as you say you still queue up

I had one of those hitches on Oman  about 8 years ago when I was "offloaded" Bangkok to London after big group on open tickets all reconfirmed for same date......if I hadnt attempted to check in online I'd have only known at the airport and too late to sort it...(which I did thanks to my agent back in London)

Nonsense.... it didn't 'nail' anything. Actually quite poor advice.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

I think not....

He has another thread, but yes, he is obviously confused as to the procedure and the meaning on ONLINE check-in. Notwithstanding, we shall guide him through the maze 😊

Just now, NowNow said:

Nonsense.... it didn't 'nail' anything. Actually quite poor advice.

lol out with it fella

Poor advice....Cmon then explain yourself

It wasnt advice he offered it was simply standard "procedure" and was wholly accurate

2 minutes ago, Chivas said:

lol out with it fella

Poor advice....Cmon then explain yourself

It wasnt advice he offered it was simply standard "procedure" and was wholly accurate

I'll spell it out for you. First thing, is that you will be checked in for the flight. So if there is a delay on the way to the airport or even if check-in is closed by the time you arrive, you can go directly to a Bag Drop station. You cannot do that if you haven't checked in. Secondly, you can choose your seat during Check-In. If you don't then you'd better be at the front of the queue, because everyone ahead of you will be grabbing the best seats. Stressful.

Thirdly, you do not have to join the normal queue if you have already checked in. There is often a dedicated Bag Drop queue.

So THREE MAJOR reasons.

Now you tell me why you shouldn't check in online....and try to skip your usual childish name-calling.

38 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Otherwise you might be allocated a relatively poor seat.

Or bumped off the flight altogether if it's been overbooked.

• Agree 2

While checking in online doesn't make much difference if you have luggage (and many folks will already have assigned their seats), doing so also enables one to have the boarding pass on their phone. Worked well recently when the printed one didn't scan well (dodgy printer), so fell back on digital. When boarding, the girl said 'that was lucky'. Although would have still got on, would've been a pain.

• Thanks 2