Interesting Bar Story

JimTripper

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I only heard the beginning: Frang accusing a Thai that the Thai is taking lots of money out of the bar - apparently with the knowledge of the farang.

Why did he allow that to happen? 

If he allowed it, then it's clearly his fault. And if he didn't allow it then the farang should have gone to the police and report the thief. 

What do you mean allowed it?

If it's in her name he could not stop her. The police could do nothing. It's either allow the till to be raided slowly on an ongoing basis, try to plead with her to stop, or say I'm leaving.

I can't figure out why he is considering paying her 200k if it's mostly in her name. He says he will borrow the money to pay her off, but the bar won't ever be majority owned by him. Was he going to get another Thai partner to come in to assume the 51% stake? Or, assume she will disappear without taking more money while she remains in control of the business?

If not, what good does it do to pay her off with external money. It's not money the bar had made.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

If it's in her name he could not stop her. The police could do nothing. It's either allow the till to be raided slowly on an ongoing basis, try to plead with her to stop, or say I'm leaving.

I can't figure out why she is asking for 200k if it's mostly in her name. He says he will borrow the money to pay her off, but the bar won't ever be majority owned by him. Was he going to get another Thai partner to come in to assume the 51% stake? Or, assume she will disappear without taking more money while remaining in control?

If not, what good does it do to pay her off with external money. It's not money the bar had made.

Her name? Are you sure? That ain't a lady.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

If it's in her name he could not stop her.

First, I watched only the first minute or so where the farang lists the amount which the Thai person "used".

How did the Thai person get the money? Cash from customers? Deduct/transfer money from the bank?

Later I saw that the owner is not really the owner. Maybe he paid for everything, but he is not the official owner.

That is obviously a bad idea - already since decades.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

First, I watched only the first minute or so where the farang lists the amount which the Thai person "used".

How did the Thai person get the money? Cash from customers? Deduct/transfer money from the bank?

Later I saw that the owner is not really the owner. Maybe he paid for everything, but he is not the official owner.

That is obviously a bad idea - already since decades.

He said raiding the till in the video. I'm not sure if it matters.

If she owns 51% she can take what she likes (not just 51%), correct? Or, maybe she can only take 51% of the profits if he owns 49%. I'm not sure what the law is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

He said raiding the till in the video. I'm not sure if it matters.

If she owns 51% she can take what she likes (not just 51%), correct? Or, maybe she can only take 51% of the profits if he owns 49%. I'm not sure what the law is.

Obviously, there is a difference between what is legally allowed and what is possible.

If I own (1% up to 100%) a company, and I give someone else the key to the safe or the ATM card or the password to transfer money out of the account, then this is a risk. If the farang does not trust that person, then he shouldn't take that risk.

But at far as I seen this this is a civil case, he can't go to the police and ask them to arrest his business partner. 

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Nightmare scenario, but a story often played out. 

Who of us would "buy" a business back home in the name of someone else? And maybe that someone else is someone with another language which we can't speak and can't write. It's a stupid idea. 

And there are enough guys out there who did this stupid idea and can confirm that it is a stupid idea. So why do it? Because my one is different?

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Who of us would "buy" a business back home in the name of someone else? And maybe that someone else is someone with another language which we can't speak and can't write. It's a stupid idea. 

And there are enough guys out there who did this stupid idea and can confirm that it is a stupid idea. So why do it? Because my one is different?

Because you can't do it any other way here, so they take the chance. Same with buying land here to build a house.

I don't think anybody would do it normally unless they needed the partner for cash to help pay for it.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Because you can't do it any other way here, so they take the chance. Same with buying land here to build a house.

I don't think anybody would do it normally unless they needed the partner for cash to help pay for it.

They can setup a Thai company and own 49%. And this company would own the bar. Then any company business is exactly that, company business. Nobody can just take money out of the company.

The company could be setup with multiple independent Thai people, i.e. 3 with each 17%. 

It is possible to do this in a smart way - if people want to do that and are willing to pay for it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

What an idiot, I'd just walk away and leave, she want's more money, that he will have to borrow......................:post-4641-1156694572: Suck it up dude and leave the place and her. 

I wonder what he told those guys he wanted to borrow the money from? Was it to save the bar, or some other related story, or maybe a share in the business.

A great example how someone else's problem becomes your problem. You think you know someone and their situation, but you never know everyone they are connected to in the background.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

What I learned early in life, was to stay away people who complained, had problems, and blaimed life for all their problems, instead of changing their own approach, willing to learn why things go wrong. 

Especially those  who blaime their x'es for their problems

• Confused 2

He needs to sell shares in his bar business to anyone who will listen........I seem to recall that approach being used before in Walking St area (although they didn't stop at 100%) ...shhhh......the place still went tits up. 

On 7/24/2024 at 6:55 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I only heard the beginning: Frang accusing a Thai that the Thai is taking lots of money out of the bar - apparently with the knowledge of the farang.

Why did he allow that to happen? 

If he allowed it, then it's clearly his fault. And if he didn't allow it then the farang should have gone to the police and report the thief. 

Know where that bar is or was and was watching this guy early on when he broke the news that he's relationship had gone south, was doing the walking beat up and down Jomtien beach rd every morning to clear his head, well details keep coming out but the whole reason he fell on his arse was firstly the choice of partner and secondly didnt have the smarts to put the lease into his name, it was put into her name, for her to leave as she had him over a barrel and no shame she wanted a pay out, forget how much now to move the name on the lease over to him, he said at the time he didnt have the few hundred thousand to give her and was pretty stressed as he was looking at loosing think it was around 600,000 that he put into it with renovations stock etc.

As for she taking upwards of 60,000 out of the place each month I kinda find it hard to believe, there would have been at least 2 other staff to pay plus he's cut plus restock...maybe the last few months but certainly not the entire time...

He should have had the balls to return 4 am with a truck and a few helpers and clear out as much gear and stock he could, she most likely would have to walk away or spend a fortune to re stock etc, but did he keep the recites for what he payed for and paying for? as he wasn't much of a business man he might have ended up in jail doing that knowing his luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Njoku said:

Know where that bar is or was and was watching this guy early on when he broke the news that he's relationship had gone south, was doing the walking beat up and down Jomtien beach rd every morning to clear his head, well details keep coming out but the whole reason he fell on his arse was firstly the choice of partner and secondly didnt have the smarts to put the lease into his name, it was put into her name, for her to leave as she had him over a barrel and no shame she wanted a pay out, forget how much now to move the name on the lease over to him, he said at the time he didnt have the few hundred thousand to give her and was pretty stressed as he was looking at loosing think it was around 600,000 that he put into it with renovations stock etc.

As for she taking upwards of 60,000 out of the place each month I kinda find it hard to believe, there would have been at least 2 other staff to pay plus he's cut plus restock...maybe the last few months but certainly not the entire time...

He should have had the balls to return 4 am with a truck and a few helpers and clear out as much gear and stock he could, she most likely would have to walk away or spend a fortune to re stock etc, but did he keep the recites for what he payed for and paying for? as he wasn't much of a business man he might have ended up in jail doing that knowing his luck.

Part of the problem could also be that the place simply was not making money.

Things always seem Ok somehow when money is coming in even with the relationship problems or skimming. There always seems to be a problem when money gets tight even with a great setup and relationships.

I used to walk by that bar when I lived at VT2B and the bars in that complex were always empty and not even open during the daytime, except for the several at the very end near the market. The whole area smelled of desperation.

Here's a much better interview I found about it: I'm not sure if it's the same bar thought or a different guy 🤣

Edited by JimTripper

Anyone who 'Owns' a bar in Thailand needs their heads examined, it still amazes me that someone would pay up to and over 4m for 20 bar stalls and a snooker table, and then still have to pay rent and all the other expenses that go with that.           :crazy:

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

That is not an interesting story the man is an idiot, watching paint dry is far more interesting.

I'm not so sure about that. The downward progression seems reasonable in the interview.

Things get worse little by little. He needs income, then buys truck, then needs insurance, then the brother needs tires, etc etc. It's a slow progression, not just an idiot move. Every step to secure his future requires just "a little bit more" to make it work.

Maybe you don't understand how these things play out over time.

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

I'm not so sure about that. The downward progression seems reasonable in the interview.

Things get worse little by little. He needs income, then buys truck, then needs insurance, then the brother needs tires, etc etc. It's a slow progression, not just an idiot move. Every step to secure his future requires just "a little bit more" to make it work.

Maybe you don't understand how these things play out over time.

What I do understand if you need an income to live here, you really should not be here. And running/'owning' a bar is about the worst scenario I can think of.

• Agree 1

Seems like a genuinely naive guy, so my only advice to any newb 60-year-old virgins would be to read and research Thai forums for the past 20 years as I did before moving here at the tender age of 39.

Women to avoid or you will cry:

Women with children.

Prostitutes and bargirls.

No degree and no job.

woman that are more than a decade younger than you. 

Women to stick with (like my awesome super duper wife)

100% Chinese with a porcelain skin.

Master's degree and high paying job.

Woman that speaks her mind and yells at you when if you pizz her off.... not do the Thai quiet style, so you never really know the person you met, and you never really know what is coming to you.

No kids ever.  No need to take care of someone's else property,

Mother / Father have a good work ethic and don't expect her daughter to provide for them with YOUR money.

Don't get triggered not ya'all

21 hours ago, Njoku said:

You find it hard to believe? She LITEEALLY admits in in the audio clip.