Stupid hybrid newbie questions (new Toyota Yaris Cross)

Bear with me please.  My 2024 Yaris Cross is my first hybrid ever.  The dealership gave me only a Thai-language manual and Toyota is taking its time sending me an English one.  The online manuals I've found appear to be for foreign-built versions of the vehicle which don't seem to 100% match the 2024 vehicle now being built in Chachoengsao.

1. What on earth good is the EV mode?  When I actually am able to enter it, it lasts only 1 km or less.  Seems best to just not bother with it.

2. Driving the past month mostly only locally around Bangkok, with one trip out past Lat Krabang and one trip to Khao Yai NP, all in normal mode, the mileage has leveled off at around 21.3 km/liter (around 50 mpg).  Can I expect to improve this if I drive  in "Eco mode"?  And is Eco mode for city driving? highway driving?  or both, it doesn't matter?

Thanks.

Edited by JTXR
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am quite disappointed with the lengthy wait to receive my Yaris Cross English manual; it's been over a month, and the transition from a conventional ICE car to a hybrid has a significant learning curve.

I was unaware of many precautions, but the European version of the Yaris Cross manual proved to be very helpful, as did the videos from The Car Care Nut that I found online https://youtu.be/SKoPqb0SZEM

For driving my Yaris Cross, I primarily use the default normal mode, mainly on highways, and about 20% of the time at speeds of 60km/h or less on village roads. My average fuel efficiency is 28.2 km/l, but on a recent day when I pushed the car, I managed only 20.1 km/l over a short 23km drive.

I believe I could achieve 30km/l or even exceed 3.5 litres/100km if I switched to eco mode and concentrated on minimizing fuel costs, although fuel is a minor part of the overall expenses of car ownership.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I am quite disappointed with the lengthy wait to receive my Yaris Cross English manual; it's been over a month, and the transition from a conventional ICE car to a hybrid has a significant learning curve.

I was unaware of many precautions, but the European version of the Yaris Cross manual proved to be very helpful, as did the videos from The Car Care Nut that I found online https://youtu.be/SKoPqb0SZEM

For driving my Yaris Cross, I primarily use the default normal mode, mainly on highways, and about 20% of the time at speeds of 60km/h or less on village roads. My average fuel efficiency is 28.2 km/l, but on a recent day when I pushed the car, I managed only 20.1 km/l over a short 23km drive.

I believe I could achieve 30km/l or even exceed 3.5 litres/100km if I switched to eco mode and concentrated on minimizing fuel costs, although fuel is a minor part of the overall expenses of car ownership.

You should easily exceed 20km/l in most situations. I drove a hired camry hybrid in Australia recently. It got a touch over 20km/l on average. That included heavy traffic for about the 3 hours it took to get from Brisbane to the Gold Coast. I was quite impressed. Even ym crv diesel can manage 22-23km/l on a decent run. 

On 7/30/2024 at 7:15 PM, LosLobo said:

EV mode for about 1-2 kilometers ..... This mode is ideal for situations where you need to minimize noise and emissions, such as driving in heavy traffic or moving the car in and out of a garage.

For real or satire? 🙂

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Still waiting for the Englsih version for a Toyota bought 12 years ago, said they sent it but never arrived.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WorriedNoodle said:

For real or satire? 🙂

'The motors are powered by a compact 178V lithium ion battery that has enough energy to carry the Yars Cross in EV mode for a mile or so (although it tends to cut in for shortish periods only on light throttle openings to increase overall fuel efficiency).'

Toyota Yaris Cross Review 2024, Price & Specs | Autocar

3 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Firstly, the Yaris Cross HEV is not a non-ICE EV.

You have posted over 400 posts advocating for non-ICE EVs and also have had many unwanted incursions into other topics pushing your seemingly relentless agenda.

Your endless posting here on the Motor Forum seems to be existential for your current life. Seems an odd pastime for someone who has never found a car existential to modern life,

Nevertheless, there are several benefits to consider with the Thai Yaris Cross HEV:

Fuel Efficiency: With a rated fuel economy of 26.3 km/l, the Yaris Cross is highly efficient, making it cost-effective for daily commutes and long drives. This efficiency translates to fewer stops at the pump and more savings over time.

Hybrid Technology: While it may not run solely on the battery, the hybrid system significantly reduces fuel consumption and emissions. The electric motor assists the petrol engine, providing a smoother and more responsive driving experience, especially in city traffic. It’s worth noting that most non plug-in hybrids have limited EV mode ranges, typically around 1-2 km, so the Yaris Cross is in line with industry standards.

Environmental Impact: The hybrid system helps lower your carbon footprint. By using less fuel and emitting fewer pollutants, you’re contributing to a cleaner environment.

Range: The impressive 900 km range on a full tank is a major advantage for long-distance travel. You can cover substantial distances without worrying about frequent refueling stops.

Reliability and Maintenance: Toyota is known for its reliability and low maintenance costs. The Yaris Cross benefits from Toyota’s extensive experience in hybrid technology, ensuring a dependable vehicle with fewer mechanical issues.

Resale Value: Toyota vehicles generally hold their value well. The Yaris Cross, with its hybrid technology and fuel efficiency, is likely to have a strong resale value, making it a good investment in the long run.

Comfort and Features: The Yaris Cross offers a comfortable ride with modern features and technology, enhancing your driving experience. The E-CVT transmission provides smooth acceleration and a quiet cabin environment.

While it may not be a high-performance vehicle, the Yaris Cross excels in practicality, efficiency, and environmental friendliness. These benefits make it a worthwhile consideration for many drivers. Personally, I would have preferred the standard ICE version, but it is not available in Thailand.

It hasn’t gone unnoticed that for someone who has never found a car existential to modern life, you have posted over 400 posts advocating for non-ICE EVs and also have had many unwanted incursions into other topics pushing your seemingly relentless agenda.

Hybrid Technology: While it may not run solely on the battery, the hybrid system significantly reduces fuel consumption and emissions.

Would you agree that an EV cuts out emissions altogether?

Environmental Impact: The hybrid system helps lower your carbon footprint. By using less fuel and emitting fewer pollutants, you’re contributing to a cleaner environment.

Would you agree that EVs` as they don’t emit pollutants, contribute more to a cleaner environment?

Range: The impressive 900 km range on a full tank is a major advantage for long-distance travel. You can cover substantial distances without worrying about frequent refueling stops.

Can the Yaris really do 900 km on a full tank of 36 litres of petrol at normal driving speeds? Not hypermiling at 40 kmh as it would take forever to reach your destination. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LosLobo said:

You have posted over 400 posts advocating for non-ICE EVs and also have had many unwanted incursions into other topics pushing your seemingly relentless agenda.

Your endless posting here on the Motor Forum seems to be existential for your current life. Seems an odd pastime for someone who has never found a car existential to modern life.

Nevertheless, there are several benefits to consider with the Thai Yaris Cross HEV:

Fuel Efficiency: With a rated fuel economy of 26.3 km/l, the Yaris Cross is highly efficient, making it cost-effective for daily commutes and long drives. This efficiency translates to fewer stops at the pump and more savings over time.

Hybrid Technology: While it may not run solely on the battery, the hybrid system significantly reduces fuel consumption and emissions. The electric motor assists the petrol engine, providing a smoother and more responsive driving experience, especially in city traffic. It’s worth noting that most non plug-in hybrids have limited EV mode ranges, so the Yaris Cross is in line with industry standards.

Reliability and Maintenance: Toyota is known for its reliability and low maintenance costs. The Yaris Cross benefits from Toyota’s extensive experience in hybrid technology, ensuring a dependable vehicle with fewer mechanical issues.

Resale Value: Toyota vehicles generally hold their value well. The Yaris Cross, with its hybrid technology and fuel efficiency, is likely to have a strong resale value, making it a good investment in the long run.

Comfort and Features: The Yaris Cross offers a comfortable ride with modern features and technology, enhancing your driving experience. The E-CVT transmission provides smooth acceleration and a quiet cabin environment.

While it may not be a high-performance vehicle, the Yaris Cross excels in practicality, efficiency, and environmental friendliness. These benefits make it a worthwhile consideration for many drivers. Personally, I would have preferred the standard ICE version, but it is not available in Thailand.

Whoa there cowboy.   I simply stated I think it's an underperformer for the price.   And I did note the 1 good point, range, if needing & wanting, to go 900 kms non stop.  Although as noted, if test speed was 40kph, then 900kms isn't going to work on TH's highways, unless not in a hurry.

Hard to say an ICE has a good carbon footprint, environmentally friendly or cost effective/fuel efficient, though relative to other ICEV, then maybe yes.  You still need to purchase petrol, so very un cost effective.

I find it strange that the OP spent about 800k for a car, he apparently knows very little about.  

Enjoy what ever you drive, UP2U, and no, I don't have any agenda.   I do wish everyone drove BEVs, for the sake of local low level pollution.   Especially when I standing curbside or driving our MB or bicycle.   As the exhaust is horrendous & unhealthy to breathe.

Whatever works for you, as I've stated many times (apparently ignored), that BEV aren't for everyone.

image.png.477273db7a8bbc04df3453c9e35b6389.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Would you agree that EVs` as they don’t emit pollutants, contribute more to a cleaner environment?

Can the Yaris really do 900 km on a full tank of 36 litres of petrol at normal driving speeds? Not hypermiling at 40 kmh as it would take forever to reach your destination. 

Hybrid Technology: While it may not run solely on the battery, the hybrid system significantly reduces fuel consumption and emissions.

Would you agree that an EV cuts out emissions altogether?

No it doesn't until the country is producing  100% zero carbon electricity many years away in the future

For that to happen they would have to stop using petrolchemicals product such as plastic and tyres

ExxonMobil see an increase with more EV's being produced 300 gallons or 1170 litres of petrochemicals products

https://energyfactor.exxonmobil.asia/reducing-emissions/energy-efficiency/electric-vehicles-cant-without-oil-and-gas/

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Whoa there cowboy.   I simply stated I think it's an underperformer for the price.   And I did note the 1 good point, range, if needing & wanting, to go 900 kms non stop.  Although as noted, if test speed was 40kph, then 900kms isn't going to work on TH's highways, unless not in a hurry.

Hard to say an ICE has a good carbon footprint, environmentally friendly or cost effective/fuel efficient, though relative to other ICEV, then maybe yes.  You still need to purchase petrol, so very un cost effective.

I find it strange that the OP spent about 800k for a car, he apparently knows very little about.  

Enjoy what ever you drive, UP2U, and no, I don't have any agenda.   I do wish everyone drove BEVs, for the sake of local low level pollution.   Especially when I standing curbside or driving our MB or bicycle.   As the exhaust is horrendous & unhealthy to breathe.

Whatever works for you, as I've stated many times (apparently ignored), that BEV aren't for everyone.

Whoooa, there cowboy, he bought a Toyota, not an MG, chalk & cheese....:intheclub:

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Your endless posting here on the Motor Forum seems to be existential for your current life. Seems an odd pastime for someone who has never found a car existential to modern life.

Hybrid Technology: While it may not run solely on the battery, the hybrid system significantly reduces fuel consumption and emissions. The electric motor assists the petrol engine, providing a smoother and more responsive driving experience, especially in city traffic. It’s worth noting that most non plug-in hybrids have limited EV mode ranges, so the Yaris Cross is in line with industry standards.

Sales Report B-SUV / Crossover sales June 67: Toyota Yaris Cross is the champion at 38.0%.

No. 1 Toyota Yaris Cross : 2,668 cars

Market share 38.0%

Sales Report B-SUV / Crossover car sales January - June 2024

B-SUV / Crossover car group sales in January - June 2024 total 48,258 cars.

No. 1 Toyota Yaris Cross : 19,668 units

Market share 35.9%

https://autolifethailand.tv/sales-report-b-suv-crossover-june-2024/

Yaris cross appears to be a popular choice

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Sales Report B-SUV / Crossover sales June 67: Toyota Yaris Cross is the champion at 38.0%.

No. 1 Toyota Yaris Cross : 2,668 cars

Market share 38.0%

Sales Report B-SUV / Crossover car sales January - June 2024

B-SUV / Crossover car group sales in January - June 2024 total 48,258 cars.

No. 1 Toyota Yaris Cross : 19,668 units

Market share 35.9%

https://autolifethailand.tv/sales-report-b-suv-crossover-june-2024/

Yaris cross appears to be a popular choice

I am really surprised that being so popular it only took 10 days to fulfil my order. 

Maybe its Thailand's current economic downturn.

What’s Really Ailing Thailand’s Economy? – The Diplomat

• Thumbs Up 1