Buriram Woman Loses 530,000 Baht in Baffling Bank Transfers

webfact

51 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

simply extreme idiocy on the part of the banks, and an attempt to use the spectacularly cowardly defamation laws against an honest customer. The banks should be prosecuted for threatening this lady with legal repercussions.

You're assuming that the bank is at fault when it could be in the right.  Since when has it been an offence to warn a customer not to make a false accusation of theft?

• Sad 2

39 minutes ago, jippytum said:

If the banks and the police advise against this woman making a formal complaint what chance does she have to expose these scammers and recoup her loss. 

Perhaps it was not a scam and there is no one to expose, as the bank appears to be claiming.

• Confused 2

37 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

by scammers you mean "staff" I presume? It happens much more than is reported. The banks intimidate the people who have had money taken dishonestly.

"...It happens much more than is reported".

Does it really...how do you know that if it is not reported?  And what evidence do you have that the banks intimidate customers who claim to have lost money?

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ronster said:

Her husband seems well paid if he's sending 80000 a month to her. 

What was the aunt wanting the money for

So what if he is well-paid?!   What does it matter what the aunt wanted to use the requested money for?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

the banks reported response is an admission of guilt in itself

No, it is not, the bank was claiming that she made the transactions (which could well be true) and that her making a false accusation of theft/fraud against it would not be wise.

• Confused 2

BBL saving account only. BBL sends me a SMS on every transaction on my account, even when they take a monthly fee of B30 from my account. In addition there is a B50k limit on ATM transactions without a phone call to BBL. They do not allow international payments. for example via Paypal unless I personally phone the bank and speak to their call centre to allow the payment to proceed (usually within 2 hours) - periodically. annually,  required for my laptop security firewall. I only use a Debit card - no credit card and certainly no mobile app. Not sure about other banks.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Some time ago, I had a number of strange BKK Bank ATM withdrawals.  I checked the locations with the bank and they were from places I had never been, like Sattahip.  The manager shrugged and said they must have been done by my girlfriend who doesn't drive and was with me 24 hours a day during the scam period.  Only the bank and I knew my PIN.

On Tuesday of this week I went in to see my bankers about a problem with my Debit card not being accepted by a hotel.  I waited the customary 70 minutes whilst they did something and all was well.  Nobody could tell me what the problem was.

How can the bank know your PIN??

1 hour ago, Jackbenimble said:

They could have helped for a small %, surely. 

The RTP is paid to do a job which they do not do and now you want to offer them a recovery percentage for doing what they are supposed to do, Really! Come on get real.

It would be far better if contact can be made with all those who have suffered at the hands of the banks and the police and take a class action against them, if everybody has genuine evidence that they have been screwed by these organisations defamation will not come into it.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

after discovering 530,000 baht was mysteriously transferred from her bank account

Fortunately in my case, no large sums of money involved.

During the past 3 years, I have been scammed and I am now on my THIRD Visa Debit Card. My bank were aware no authorisation was given by me for the relevent transactions and have refunded the money. 

In the first instance, my mobile phone rang 3 times in quick succession around 2:30am whilst I was asleep. My bank card was in my wallet alongside me. 3 small sums in Malaysian Ringits (totalling 30$) were withdrawn to pay Facebook accounts (as I later found out). A new card was arranged.

In the second instance, the new card details were used in quick succession again, this time around 12.30pm (lunchtime) to pay 2 accounts in US$ (totalling 40$) to Apple.com/bill. (I checked this on my computer and was warned of a security risk and not to open it). In this second scam, my bank phoned me to enquire if I had authorised the transactions - which I had not. My second card was blocked and I am now using a 3rd Visa debit card and keeping my fingers crossed!

I do not own a smartphone and personal internet banking I perform on my home computer. I do not use my debit card for on-line purchases other than booking airline tickets with Air Asia.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thais have a nasty habit telling "friends" "everything".

Also showing "friends and family" how smart they are with "technology".

Strange happen with 2 banks.

Guess she should look in her own "surroundings" after the mafia..

Sounds like the bank account was compromised by hackers. Contrary to the publicity the banking system is not as resilient as it should be. This is a major problem for people who buy using credit cards and NFC.

Within the world of hacking, Thai banks are not considered to be a difficult target. They are improving apparently but still not there yet. This is one reason I refuse to buy anything at an outlet that does not accept cash.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If your Thai bank did not receive it, the chances are that the remitting non-Thai "international" bank was at fault, surely?  

Nope I have the proof in hand of the copy of the bank transfer from Finland.

44 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Fortunately in my case, no large sums of money involved.

During the past 3 years, I have been scammed and I am now on my THIRD Visa Debit Card. My bank were aware no authorisation was given by me for the relevent transactions and have refunded the money. 

In the first instance, my mobile phone rang 3 times in quick succession around 2:30am whilst I was asleep. My bank card was in my wallet alongside me. 3 small sums in Malaysian Ringits (totalling 30$) were withdrawn to pay Facebook accounts (as I later found out). A new card was arranged.

In the second instance, the new card details were used in quick succession again, this time around 12.30pm (lunchtime) to pay 2 accounts in US$ (totalling 40$) to Apple.com/bill. (I checked this on my computer and was warned of a security risk and not to open it). In this second scam, my bank phoned me to enquire if I had authorised the transactions - which I had not. My second card was blocked and I am now using a 3rd Visa debit card and keeping my fingers crossed!

I do not own a smartphone and personal internet banking I perform on my home computer. I do not use my debit card for on-line purchases other than booking airline tickets with Air Asia.

Maybe there is a keylogger malware on your computer. Aside from the antivirus software on your computer, there are scans available online to seek out and neutralize such malware.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Olav Seglem said:

Thais have a nasty habit telling "friends" "everything".

Also showing "friends and family" how smart they are with "technology".

Strange happen with 2 banks.

Guess she should look in her own "surroundings" after the mafia..

How about malware on her phone? Banking apps are dangerous, especially people who are not tech savvy.

• Agree 1