What about this Samsung Washing Machine? Should one buy it?

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

Did you forget about .... FRICTION ?

No.

We are not trying to build a perpetual motion machine.

2nd Law, etc.

• Haha 1

We have/have 2 Samsung washing machines.....We out grew out first one after using for 12+ years....Passed it along to family & it's still purring along.... Our Current Samsung is about 3 years old and no problems....Our Samsung fridge is 12 years old & has been trouble free....Our Samsung A/C, water heaters, & TVs have been trouble free....

The only Samsung products we have not have good service from are their phones - which we will never buy again....

• Agree 1

Living out in the sticks as I have heard you do, isn't there a creek near you?

You could hire one of the village women, 100 baht per wash load. Once a week, that's a year and a half.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Living out in the sticks as I have heard you do, isn't there a creek near you?

You could hire one of the village women, 100 baht per wash load. Once a week, that's a year and a half.

That's a very good suggestion, in fact.

Maybe I should reconsider and try to find someone around my house that would be willing to do my laundry.

When I lived close to the uni, there were those nearby that would do wonders with their washing machines and steam irons.

That is one thing that I truly miss after having left that area.

(On second consideration:  I think I will do both, both buy a machine, and also find someone to wash my clothes and steam iron them in a professional way.  You need a very large steam press to do what I like.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

You are CORRECT.

I would NOT buy a machine if it were not for the fact that I have had some clothes "scavenged" from the machines, in the past.  Sometimes, these scavengers come in the dead of night.

Also, I have had problems with the local machines not going through the entire cycle before stopping.  This means that sometimes the clothes have not been spun dry, or that the machine stopped during the wash cycle, and cannot be restarted.

Anytime this happens, it's a real bummer.

This happened again today, but not to me, and to a Thai Guy.

He was very unhappy, and proclaimed that the situation was ......  "YE"... terrible.

I have to agree.

So, this is why I have now decided to just buy a cheap machine, and see what happens.

I just do not like the idea of buying Samsung....due to my experiences in the past, as I have already suggested.

why aren't you watching your clothes finish cycle in the laundry?

As for Samsung AC mine lasted 12 years, i only replaced because i wanted an inverter.

Top loading machines are not as good as side loaders.

Otteri type shops are the best bet, my local new one is full up of new LG machines, much bigger than I'd have in a condo, plus dryers

Edited by scubascuba3

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I never like the top loaders compared to side loaders.

Get yourself a front loader. 

Never seen a side loader. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

10 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Get yourself a front loader. 

Never seen a side loader. 

I don't want to spend that much. But I agree with you that I should get a front loader. 

Also, if you position the front loader rotated 90 degrees, and parallel to the wall, it become a side loader. 

I don't do that much washing, other than bedsheets. Around the house, I rarely wear clothes; it's only when I go shopping, or go walking, that I wear them. 

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Also, if you position the front loader rotated 90 degrees, and parallel to the wall, it become a side loader. 

Oh OK, thanks. 

So it depends on the trajectory thrown by the object (clothes) into the washing machine. 👍

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

why aren't you watching your clothes finish cycle in the laundry?

As for Samsung AC mine lasted 12 years, i only replaced because i wanted an inverter.

Top loading machines are not as good as side loaders.

Otteri type shops are the best bet, my local new one is full up of new LG machines, much bigger than I'd have in a condo, plus dryers

a. I, too, like the looks of the LG-side-loader machines. But these are twice the cost of a 13Kg-capacity Samsung top-loader.

b. If I did a lot of washing, and if I knew that I would be using the machine for a long period of time, and if I were a homeowner instead of a renter, then I would go with the LG, or an Hitachi side-loader.  But the present situation does not justify double the cost of the Samsung.  Probably I will regret this decision. I often regret my decisions (maybe not often, but sometimes).

c.  Also, on this Topic Thread, we must be more careful with our washing-machine-related terminology.  One member here has complained about our naming a front-loading machine a "side loader".

d. Why I do not watch the clothes in washing machine:  To answer your question, I have never been one to become mesmerized by watching the washing machine spin, or by watching the dryer tumble clothing.  When I was very young, I was often tempted to watch.  But, I always fought the urge.  Today, I am glad that I did.

I have had three Samsung front loaders first one ten years latest one four months, second one two years old and still in my home country.

The latest ones can be voice controlled by my Google Home.

I find the front loaders very good on clothes compared to the wear, tear and tangles of top loaders.

The top speed of 1400 rpm makes drying very quick and stops the bad smells sometimes I used to find on slow drying very wet clothes in the high humidity.

Once I tried to save money and bought a top loader. First and last time in Thailand.

The washing was not as smooth as a side loader which I was used to my whole life.

So invest a few baht more for a proper machine.

16 hours ago, transam said:

Our first top loader Samsung lasted 11+ years, it still worked, but internal suspension was knackered, our present one is 7 years and still going strong...

Our next one, when ever that is, will be a Samsung...😋

Mine also lasted over 11 years. The shock absorbers are available on Lazada for less than Bht 1000 for a set of 4. Now I have the same one GG is talking about. No problems. There is less 'strain' on the clothes than a side loader, and no pump is needed. 

16 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

You are CORRECT.

I would NOT buy a machine if it were not for the fact that I have had some clothes "scavenged" from the machines, in the past.  Sometimes, these scavengers come in the dead of night.

Also, I have had problems with the local machines not going through the entire cycle before stopping.  This means that sometimes the clothes have not been spun dry, or that the machine stopped during the wash cycle, and cannot be restarted.

Anytime this happens, it's a real bummer.

This happened again today, but not to me, and to a Thai Guy.

He was very unhappy, and proclaimed that the situation was ......  "YE"... terrible.

I have to agree.

So, this is why I have now decided to just buy a cheap machine, and see what happens.

I just do not like the idea of buying Samsung....due to my experiences in the past, as I have already suggested.

Stay at the laundromat so no one will pilfer your clothes. I have a Panasonic over 6 years old, still working okay.

16 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I would prefer a Hitachi Side-Loader

You'll find that front loaders are much better, it is awfully difficult to load the laundry into the side of a machine.  Which manufacturers make domestic side loaders, anyway?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Love It 1

16 hours ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

I have a front loading Samsung washer and a Samsung dryer as well. Both have been great for a few years. Had Electrolux twice before that a boy ten years each and they were great as well. 

15 year old Samsung refrigerator still going strong…

Before I had ELectrolux, washer and dryer. Now I have a Hitachi front loader and a Siemens dryer, both purchased 10 years ago. They are both much better than the Electrolux, but of course technology had advanced since I bought Electrolux so long ago that I can't remember when.

56 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Stay at the laundromat so no one will pilfer your clothes. I have a Panasonic over 6 years old, still working okay.

In a perfect world, this would not be necessary.

This is why I just returned from purchasing a Samsung washing machine this noon.

By the way, the machine that Samsung was advertising at the lower price was not suitable, as it used a belt drive.

A belt drive is not suitable for me.

I need BELTLESS DRIVE for the washing machine drum, or whatever you call it.  (haha!  I guessed correctly!  I just checked with Google.  Normally, I do not spend much time thinking about washing machines.)

58 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

If the price is so good,  why are you asking on this forum?

Because, even though the price was good, I finally decided to purchase a different model, based upon the input from the forum, to date.

I often receive great feedback from members on this forum.

The feedback has saved me money, and, at times, has solved difficult purchasing problems.

Today, I purchased this machine:

image.png.ea130af9b3b0d2853d664dd5dc1935a1.png

I could not have purchased this machine without the help of the Asean-Now Forum members.

Also, using this cheap/basic/no-drain-pump model will still be better than beating clothes on the rocks at the nearby riverbank.

And, nobody will be stealing my cotton sheets in the future, presumably.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Have a Samsung for 2 years now and works great. No prob. Quiet, cleans well. Love it. 

I think that Samsung appliances such as refrigerators have improved in quality.

So, I am willing to give Samsung another try, and buy a Samsung washing machine.

I hope it does not come with all these GARBAGE STICKERS attached.

image.png.81c7379081cb177cd549f01938448be3.png

If it does, then it's going back...because....it does not look like this in the Store Ad!

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ronster said:

Can buy front load Samsung for 8-9000 bht on Lazada. 

As far as I could tell, this is about the cheapest front-loader on Lazada...

image.png.6bf1d73119d864eb3cb8197248f0aada.png

Anyway....too late for me to change my mind at this time...

Also, I will not be buying from Lazada in a long while, I expect....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

Once I tried to save money and bought a top loader. First and last time in Thailand.

The washing was not as smooth as a side loader which I was used to my whole life.

So invest a few baht more for a proper machine.

OK.

Next year.

I will  wait for a better price.

Then, I will have two washing machines.

Which will be good.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

As far as I could tell, this is about the cheapest front-loader on Lazada...

image.png.6bf1d73119d864eb3cb8197248f0aada.png

Anyway....too late for me to change my mind at this time...

Also, I will not be buying from Lazada in a long while, I expect....

Screenshot_2024-08-05-15-34-01-354_com.lazada.android.jpg

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Samsung appliances such as refrigerators have improved in quality

I've owned 3 Samsung refrigerators in 3 different locations here in Thailand and all 3 have been excellent. Again no complaints. Quiet and function perfectly.

2 minutes ago, ronster said:

Screenshot_2024-08-05-15-34-01-354_com.lazada.android.jpg

Good Price.

Thanks for the link.

Actually, maybe not too late for me, since I can use this for the clothes I wear, which I do not want to put in a top-loader.

And then use the Samsung for heavy bedding.

Maybe I will order this next month, after I figure out where to put it, and whether or not I need to knock a hole in the wall to accommodate the drain pipe.

I would also wish to ensure that the supplier is reliable.

Again...Good Link!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

ever consider reading online reviews????    im sure there are a few on the web --you seem to have plenty of time to search

How can he have plenty of time when he has made about 10 replies to this, his own OP, and another 3 yesterday. Give him a break ! 555

TALKING about durable, but the economy isnt working on that.

Not only electric devices, as well clothes.

My Samsung washing machine refused to work when i got home from a holiday. I moved it, took of the lit to see if i could detect "something"

I browsed through it and couldnt find a thing. I put it on and out of the blue, seems to be ok.

CLosed and moved it back and prepared for washing, working as usual ! Weird, just moved it, opened, closed it and working since then.  

The thing is now about =/- 10 years old. Knock on wood.

My Sharp microwave, just out of warranty, didnt work, brought to fix shop, replaced a resistor and there it goes on again for many years.

My Sony tv, just year after warranty, got a red vertical line on screen. Contacted Sony, screen would be  broken, suggested a deal, but not in my favor.

I just let it be and Im not that bothered with the thin red line, sometimes I notice. Working though now years, but ok with thin red line.

My Dell computer, once power supply broke down, replaced it an worked until something on motherboard went wrong,

but ok then it was 10 years old and used a lot for long times/day/every day

Once had a Chrysler Neon, jeepers, a pain in the ass. However a VW Passaat wasnt also a favorite of mine.

My blinking light of Octavia broke down (then 18 years), the mechanic told me he never experienced that in his working time, and he was an older guy.

It should last for life of car. OK the car is now 20 years old. She is still doing ok, knock on wood again. She has her own house.

Experiencing all that, it is simple, all goods must break and maybe manufacturers even use materials which will brake down slightly after warranty.  

So with whatever you buy, you must be aware it breaks down just after warranty.

And if that is not enough, solar flares can destroy lots of electronics. If I red well. 

You want to buy that Samsung? WHy not? It is just try & error, as with all you buy. 

Maybe you are lucky and the Samsung will work indefinitely.