US Senator Warns Over Move Forward Party Dissolution

Does the Thai government really care what America thinks? 

I doubt they have a real hold over elites. Unless the government knows what America will do they won't worry.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

I do not believe the ruling elite here care one iota what anyone outside, or inside the Country thinks, as long as there coffers keep filling.

When I ask around in the village what they think of the way it has been handled (MFP winning the election, but about to be banned), the only response I get is that they have the guns, they have the money, what can we do. Subservient acquiescence drummed into them from the time they can walk.:saai:

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been wondering why PT bothers to pursue the 10K handout in order to "buy votes", as many of us here explain, since votes don't determine the results of elections anyway, the power elite determines the outcome of any election. And I'm now thinking the handout is not to buy votes at all, it's to distract from the way the last election was manipulated and turned out, and with the vast majority of Thais that strategy seems to be working. There are no protests in the streets; people are just waiting for the money, which of course is taking a while.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, sscc said:

None of USA business. 

Good point: what indeed IS the "business" of the USA?

Those of us who remember the Vietnam War will remember that it was done to save the world from "communism".   "Better red than dead" was the war-cry. 

How ironic, therefore, that so much of the news coming out of the USA today reflects a tendency to turn the country into a carbon copy of the Soviet Union.  So many parts of the mainstream media seem to be singing (Pravda-style) from the same hymn-sheet.

And this airbrushing of the Harris woman's quasi-communist past reminds me of the airbrushing of Kremlin worthies who disappeared from official portraits from time to time (including Mikhail Gorbachev's birthmark on his scalp).

We live in a crazy world.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sscc said:

None of USA business. 

In one sense you're right, Thailand can do what it wants. The US, and any other country for that matter, can do what they want as well. If that negatively effects diplomatic engagement and trade with Thailand then that may not be so good for Thailand. But that is Thailand's decision to make.

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2024 at 12:21 PM, Sydebolle said:

Ben Cardin is well advised, to keep his well-meant advice to himself. Thailand's sovereignty has always been influenced by the US, not once to the benefit of the country. 

He might be right but it remains with the democratically elected people in the driver's seat to decide. If their decision is not what the voters want, then let the voters take the necessary steps and action.

Any influence from the outside is uncalled for and, coming from the US, has always to be taken with salt; not a pinch but a 50lbs bag instead! 

Er, excuse me, but that is the point, there are no democratically elected people in power here. The voters did take the necessary steps, and what happened.......the winning party suddenly found itself virtually banned from politics. 

And what democratic principles that Thailand might sacrifice would they be? Foreign relations committee? Why did you leave Thailand on the list of democracies when the Senate prevented Pita from forming a government? Asleep at the wheel does even cover it. Wilfully blind, in fact.

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Er, excuse me, but that is the point, there are no democratically elected people in power here. The voters did take the necessary steps, and what happened.......the winning party suddenly found itself virtually banned from politics. 

Noted, and yes, correct, but the process remains a domestic affair.

Tomorrow is MFP's "D-Day" and we'll see what is to follow. It remains up to the Thai voters to voice their concerns against getting the party with the most votes thrown out allowing for all sorts of little hat tricks by other parties.

Democracy is a form of government, which actually does not work anywhere perfect; the closest to it might be Switzerland. High education standard by the voters, small country, multicultural (mix of French, Italian, Romansh and German as a language base) an a federal management among 26 cantons. 

If a country can arrange for post-vote "appreciation" on the voters tax payments, then there might be improvement possible - me thinks 😉 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/5/2024 at 7:27 PM, digger70 said:
On 8/5/2024 at 8:41 AM, Zab1e said:

Why is US interested in the internal politics of Thailand?😬 

Like Always ,They Try / Want to Play Big Brother  over Everyone.

This week MFP leader Pita L. met with ambassadors of 18 countries in Bangkok. Interesting the Thai MSM chooses this article about a US Senator, but does not mention that meeting. Or the fact that the German Embassy invited MFP leader to lunch last week. Say what you will about the MSM, they know by publishing this article and ignoring the other events happening here in Thailand, they will get a kneejerk response from the usual mush heads. Further they connect up the MFP and the USA in peoples minds. 

Building the narrative before kneecapping the MFP. 

Edited by Dcheech