Finding a short term house for my wife's recovery

whophant

Hello Chiang Mai,

I would like to ask for some help. My wife has recently undergone cancer surgery, and will be in recovery for the next couple of months. There is also a good chance she will need radiotherapy, which would start in two to three weeks and last for two to four weeks, and probably extend her recovery a couple of additional months.

We live in a very remote area a couple of hours north of Chiang Mai, in an old, musty farmhouse that is not ideal for mental, physical or emotional health, and is anyway too far from the hospital in CM. If she needs radiation, we definitely need to be closer for those weeks, but we'd really like to be in or near the city - and out of this big mold-box - for a few months, so she can rest and recuperate in a more clean and healthy environment.

Our idea is that we find a house in the Chiang Mai area that we could rent for maybe 3 or 4 months, but our budget is very (very) limited - especially after all of the medical expenses - so we would need Thai level prices. At the same time we need a place with some sun, in a modern style - no more musty wood - and in an at least relatively quiet area.

Way too much to ask for? Yes, most definitely, but we are both worried that staying in this old, dank and dark farmhouse while she tries to regain her physical and mental well-being is a terrible idea, and again we have very little money at this point, so I ask anyway even if it seems impossible...

If anybody knows a little home we can use probably until the end of the year, not too far from the CMU medical /  Suan Dok area, that is clean and modern-ish (concrete and tile rather than traditional wood), with a little sun and a little yard, but very (very) affordable, it would mean the world to us.

Thanks so much!

Edited by whophant
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Nick, I'm kind of intentionally not talking about money for various reasons, but anything even approaching farang levels would be miles beyond impossible - really, all we can manage is cheap, so we're hoping for a bit of a miracle. 

Lacessit, we don't want a condo because my wife really wants and needs at least a tiny yard for grounding. 

Thanks both of you for your replies. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Steven100, 

Thanks, but we're not looking for something permanent, there's no way we could afford hotel rates, and that type of environment would be as unhealthy for her - in different ways - than the farmhouse. 

Thanks for your concern though! 🙂

• Confused 3

57 minutes ago, whophant said:

so we would need Thai level prices.

Houses of the type you would like dont have a Thai/Farang price especially on a 3 or 4 month rental. Noble of you to think of this, but have a plan B that is realistic. 

• Sad 1

Switch your retirement visa to marriage visa.That releases 400k and you don't need "very very cheap " or charity you are quite capable of supporting something half decent without breaking the bank.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Marin, thanks for your opinion, but I think hope and serendipity are realistic.

Besides, it has been my experience that everywhere in Thailand, with the possible exception of some of the islands, there are always two distinct levels of rental rates, and they almost never reflect real differences between the properties.

• Confused 1

KannikaP, I'm not sure if that was supposed to be helpful or aggressive, but Thailand is our home. Anyway, without wanting to offend you or anybody else, I would love to refocus on my actual request rather than far afield ideas. Thanks!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, whophant said:

Charlie, thanks, but we are both farang...

So in the first place why would 2 farangs choose to stay in a dirty, dank, moldy farmhouse in the middle of nowhere. Boogles the mind.

PS>>this is not meant to be aggressive just don't get the rationale behind it.

Edited by couchpotato
  • Sad 5
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, whophant said:

Nick, I'm kind of intentionally not talking about money for various reasons, but anything even approaching farang levels would be miles beyond impossible - really, all we can manage is cheap, so we're hoping for a bit of a miracle. 

What do you ,mean by cheap ?

How can anyone help you if they don't know the price ?

5000 Baht ?

• Agree 2

Nick, thanks for your concern. I think people who know Thailand, Chiang Mai and my situation will know what cheap means, but I do not want to quote prices or set limits, since ultimately my wife's health is beyond value.

People don't have to know exactly how much we can or can't afford in order to help - they can recommend, suggest, offer, and if it is possible for us and a good fit that's wonderful.

I hope I'm not coming across as stubborn or contentious, I just believe the right place will come along because I believe my wife's health and happiness is inevitable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Really  cheap places may not be advertised on any website. A cheap , modern , detached property close to the city will likely prove impossible to find.

However , a terraced 2 bedroom townhouse in a recently built moobahn might be had for around 5000 baht. For this price it might be very basic without air con , basic furniture or internet. But...you are in a house with a small front and back yard.

To actually  find a place like this might require several days footwork. If you don't have your own transport, rent some then using Google maps locate moobahns in the area you are focused on and visit them . You will eventually  see signs on a gate saying...for rent ( hy chow ) .If you don't  speak any Thai you must take a Thai speaker with you. They can ask around for you if anyone has a house to rent.

All this is very time consuming but if you can't afford much then fancy places with all amenities will be beyond your budget. As a very long shot you could try to find a very local radio station and ask a DJ to ask on air for you.Again a Thai speaker will be needed to explain your situation.  In the boonies a lot of these little radio stations are shoestring affairs on a tight budget. A lot of their revenue comes from plugging local folk remedies/medicine and adverts for local businesses. As I said, this is a long shot but it might just reach the ears of a compassionate local who will be pleased to help.

Good luck and I hope your wife makes a full recovery. 

As an afterthought.  If you have no time to do all this you could approach a WIN motorcycle stand, explain what you are looking for and offer a finders reward...enough to make them actually look. Leave them your phone number and keep your fingers crossed.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 8/9/2024 at 6:44 AM, impulse said:

Best of luck to the OP.  It's not hard to imagine someone sitting on an idle house that they're not using and don't want the hassle of marketing it while they're out of the country for the next 6 months or so.  A few bucks' rent and having someone to care for the place would be better than letting it sit vacant, risking break-ins and general entropy.

But, if you don't ask, you'll never know.  

And best of luck with the treatment.  That's been my life here in China for the past 18 months.  I came back after Covid so she wouldn't be alone during what looked like her last few weeks.  A year and a half later, she looks better than she did 18 months ago.  Don't lose hope.

Good idea, house-sitting for an out-of-country foreigner might be ideal if OP can find that.  Not sure how to advertise for that or where that would be advertised.  It's a long shot but maybe someone here knows someone in CM.  Best wishes to OP and his wife.

Edited by ChrisP24

Totally agree with Denim.

My advice is, rent a mobike for very cheap, drive around local areas that you like, and find the signs on the houses for rent, and give them an offer.

Also ask around neighborhoods which you feel you like, at shops or even residents, you may be pleasantly surprised at what you find.

• Love It 1

I stayed at Lanna Boutique and if you mention my name, the most you would have to pay is B500 a day. If you would like to bargain with him for staying a couple of months, you could likely get cheaper. He has a fantastic swimming pool.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

I stayed at Lanna Boutique and if you mention my name, the most you would have to pay is B500 a day. If you would like to bargain with him for staying a couple of months, you could likely get cheaper. He has a fantastic swimming pool.

15K a month isn't that cheap, must be much better offers available.

• Agree 2