9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It started on or just after the 18th Sep last year when The Thai Enquirer published an article on the amendment to Thai tax rulings. And in that article it clearly stated 'Also exempt will be those who have been taxed in a foreign country that has a standing Double Tax Agreement with Thailand'.

I have yet to come across anything, anywhere that contradicts that statement. And I've made a pretty thorough search.

I can see nothing that supports your highlighted statement. Because you can find nothing contradicting a statement does not make the statement true.

the TRD P161 does not, of course the various DTAs/DTCs effect the status of the assessability of the remitted fundsIMG_1174.thumb.jpeg.4fda69c3529f8cdbd7ca28b1d908ff07.jpeg

58 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

One of the big 4 is offering a ฿17,000 + vat fixed price, many other tax preparers offer lower and higher prices, as has been mentioned you are likely, if you have a Thai speaker with you, to get the TRD to help for free. I filed a tax return a few years ago with TRD and translator for free and got a bit over a ฿300 refund.

The TRD assistance is unlikely to be so good if you are trying to use a DTA reduction in tax due.

Were talkinga about a simple return(no taxes owed as long the filer proves his money has already been taxed in hir or her country?).  Do you believe as an American tax filer I would actually have to submit my US Federal Income Tax return to TRD? 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Threequestions about procedure:

1) Thai Tax returns have to be submitted in Thai?  Therefore, all foreign documents would have to be translated. 

2) What would the approximate cost be for an agency to file a Thai Tax return for foreign tax resident? 

Procedure No1 should be acquire a Tax Identifier Number from a Revenue Department office,as without it you cannot submit a return.

• Thumbs Up 1

Would this affect an Elite Visa Holder who has a 5,10 or 20 year visa?  Also, if a 5 year Elite Visa simply buys another 5 year visa would the Elite Company ask the person to prove their foreing income?  I doubt it.  So if I want to stay a long time in LOS without tax filing issues then the Elite or even the DTV might the way to go. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, norbra said:

Procedure No1 should be acquire a Tax Identifier Number from a Revenue Department office,as without it you cannot submit a return.

Is this process like getting a residency certificate at IMM? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Is this process like getting a residency certificate at IMM? 

Similar yes,but in my case I was not required to show any documents as the officer advised that I do not need a TIN. The officer explained that as my income/assets were in my home country currency it would not be taxed only income derived from employment in Thailand would be assessable.

Edited by norbra
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

They live hand to mouth.  You know this. 

What I know is the ones who live hand to mouth certainly do not reach the threshold to pay tax.

The issue is with the remaining large part whose income qualify them to pay tax but do not. Those ones certainly use bank accounts, as Thailand becoming cashless, in order to fully enjoy their money. Their income is therefore as traceable as foreigners' remittances.

Edited by Yumthai
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Like I have said in the past, the TRD may simply want 300, 500, or 1000 baht for a Certificate of Clearance each year, just like we pay 300 baht for a Certificate of Residence, when they should be free. 

They may chase high net worth individuals, but for your average expat pensioner, maybe it's all about paying a few baht for a document from the TRD each year and be on your merry way. 

Who knows at this stage, but it's an easy earner for them, and I can't see them walking away from easy money. 

Now that sounds more realistic!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

Were talkinga about a simple return(no taxes owed as long the filer proves his money has already been taxed in hir or her country?).  Do you believe as an American tax filer I would actually have to submit my US Federal Income Tax return to TRD? 

If you owe no Thai tax you don’t need to file a Thai tax return.

I have virtually no knowledge, or interest in having much knowledge, about USA taxes or the USA/Thai DTA

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

You wouldn't file your US return here, you ether file a US return or you do not, based on your level of assessible Thai income. You also don't have to prove anything until/unless asked.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/11/2024 at 10:50 AM, NorthernRyland said:

Very well but that still includes basically all of us. I bet 90% of people living here have been spending money earned/acquired in the current year (regardless of origin) and thus liable for taxation. The only thing this new law changes is that you no longer can deny it.

You bet wrong. I was well informed of the "seasoning" rule six months before I moved here and did all my tax planning accordingly. I got 10 years legally tax free out of it, and have an LTR visa now. 

I am pretty sure that I am not an isolated case, far from it.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, norbra said:

From my visit to TRD office it's already shoved

@norbra thank you very much for your efforts ; now everyone can sleep much better ...

we don't really know what will happened. but i think it's unlikely that this tax issue will go away and stay away ...

keep in mind, the TRD doesn't need to go after every foreigner in the first year (starting 2025), they have

technically up to 10 years time to catch a tax evaders ...

it seems that some new tax residents will voluntarily file tax returns for 2024 and pay a few thousand baht in taxes.

this could potentially lead to others being held accountable as well... we'll see."

note: how long did it take for the system to start enforcing unpaid speeding tickets? only now is it slowly

taking effect... with taxes for foreigner, it could unfold in a similar way ... but it will be for sure more costly!

but as often said, to each their own ... 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2024 at 10:23 AM, chiang mai said:

If Y percent is higher and country A does not issue a tax credit, or the tax credit is not usable for whatever reason,

To clarify... country A doesn't "issue" a tax credit.  It is the taxpayer's responsibility to document that tax on some specific income was actually assessed and paid to country A.  The taxpayer will self-assess his income in his tax filing for country B.  No documentation of tax credits is filed with the taxpayer's tax filing to country B. The taxpayer will need to retain documentation of tax paid to country A in case of an audit of his tax return to country B.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, gamb00ler said:

To clarify... country A doesn't "issue" a tax credit.  It is the taxpayer's responsibility to document that tax on some specific income was actually assessed and paid to country A.  The taxpayer will self-assess his income in his tax filing for country B.  No documentation of tax credits is filed with the taxpayer's tax filing to country B. The taxpayer will need to retain documentation of tax paid to country A in case of an audit of his tax return to country B.

Yes I agree, I was trying to give a simple description rather than define the process.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

This is the key point.

Key point 1- yes. Tax in TH is a complete honor system. 

Key point 2- there is no link or info sharing between TRD and Immigration. Exception is, if you work in Thailand on a Non B Visa.

Key point 3 - if you didn't file a return last year, don't this year. Nothing has changed, unless the authorities directly let you know it has. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, chiang mai said:

I hear the airport is heaving with farangs desperate to leave, do you suppose the home governments will consider an airlift!

I am visiting Vietnam and there are many recent former Thailand expats here. There are many nomads and retirees and nobody is concerned about any tax laws. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

I believe the premise (that farang residents have spare money they are willing to give to the Thai state) is flawed. The majority of retirees in Thailand are here because life in their home country has become unsustainable and they are looking for somewhere where their modest pensions can provide them with a decent existence.

This is hilarious. Thailand is the Shangri-la for the disadvantaged, underprivileged and riffraff.

• Love It 1